Whinging fuel pump in Macedonia.

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Probably thanks to dirty fuel a couple of days ago. Noticed it whining yesterday in Albania but it only makes a noise once it heats up after 10 miles or so, I'm thinking it's probably dirt in the filter causing the pump to labour so I'm going to try to get somewhere I can take the filter out to clean it on the way back through Albania to Igoumenitsa...question is, will the tank o-ring shrink enough to go back on if I leave it in the sun for a while?
There aren't many places to get spares to get spares out here :)

Try washing it.

It may shrink enough.

FYI, I had to refit H/P pipe inside my 1150 tank on the road and re-used the o-ring as I couldn't be arsed to unpack my parts bag.

45 mins from start to finish and I washed the o-ring soon as I took it off.

The fuel pump housing only needs to be out for 5 minutes to change a fuel filter, no time for the large O ring to distort.
I've never ever had to fit a new "O" ring when changing a fuel filter and i've done hundreds.

The fuel pump housing only needs to be out for 5 minutes to change a fuel filter, no time for the large O ring to distort.
I've never ever had to fit a new "O" ring when changing a fuel filter and i've done hundreds.

Ahhh, that makes sense then, If you're quick then it doesn't expand enough to cause problems….nice one.:beerjug:

A quick wiggle with the "plate" and the O ring finds its home.

I stupidly filled the tank this morning (gsa) so I'm going to have to push on a bit before getting the filter out, it's also going to take me a little longer to take the filter out & clean it so that I
can reuse it...and one of those brass threaded studs is more or less stripped 😐

Got to a campsite but the fuel pump sounds hellish now so I'd imagine it's farked, Trying to track one down out here isn't too easy but I can maybe get one from an Audi 80. ADAC are having a hunt around at the moment so fingers crossed.
Worse places to be stranded I suppose.

Got to a campsite but the fuel pump sounds hellish now so I'd imagine it's farked, Trying to track one down out here isn't too easy but I can maybe get one from an Audi 80. ADAC are having a hunt around at the moment so fingers crossed.
Worse places to be stranded I suppose.

I've got a spare if you need.

The Bosch pump part number is 0580 314 068.
A parts shop may be able to cross reference that to other brands or to car models that use the pump. Good luck.

The pump maybe perfectly OK it makes a terrible noise if the fuel filter is blocked. Best thing to do is remove the filter and fit a bypass section of pipe. You may find your pump is then quiet as a church mouse - don't worry about not having a fuel filter , my mate removed his from his RT as he was despatching on it and got fed up changing it as he was doing big mileages and a filter change is a big faff of a job on an RT ... He did over 100k miles with no fuel filter and had no problems whatsoever

""Compared to 10 minutes on GS ""..

:blush,,ok,,I need 20 min...

Ok, been in a part of the world with limited wifi & no phone data connection...thank you Tesco Mobile !
I picked this up too late to do the simple filter by-pass but it was the filter causing the problem, I flushed it though 6 times with clean petrol before it ran clear but before that it was oozing something comparable to dirty pond water. The incredibly friendly Albanians managed to get me a newish fuel pump from a part number I gave them & I managed to get it to fit with only a couple of minor alterations thanks to an old hacksaw blade :).
I'll check the old pump when I get home but it was howling at 70mph with earplugs in and even the missus could hear it ...

Now at Fusina just outside Venice and heading north so looking good.

Not looking forward to the 16c forecast through Germany after leaving Albania in 42c two days ago and the previous two weeks in Pelopenees & Macedonia averaging 35c !

It got me home without any more issues :D
It's a very common problem according to the locals, 95 octane fuel in Albania is actually only around 87 octane and the further you are away from civilisation there's more chance that the fuel storage tanks are going to have all sorts of shit floating around in them.
Now that I think about it the whining started soon after I filled at a remote Greek station near the Albanian border and the old hag attendant filled my bike with a cigarette hanging out of her gob :eek:

I'll be carrying a spare fuel filter next time....

Wonder how a new LC would have coped :rolleyes:

And looking at the external filter mod now with interest with next years trip to Turkey in mind :D

Back
Top Bottom