Roadside help needed.....

barak666

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.... I'm currently En-route to Nordkapp on my 2002 1150 GS. I've reached Kittila in Finland but for the past 100 miles my passenger and I have noticed some vibration from the rear wheel.

Initially I thought it may have been tyre related but I've checked and the tyre is fine.

I had the crown bearing and seal replaced about 1500 miles ago. There is no movement in the wheel and no oil leaks of any kind.

With the bike on the centre stand, when you spin the wheel there is some noticeable grinding from what appears to be the drive shaft.

So do I try to continue as planned and see if it gets worse? Or do I call Carole Nash breakdown and see what they suggest - repair or return the bike to UK if that's financially viable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Spinning the wheel on the stand will make a noise, however it's not representative of the noise you seek as the driveshaft is at a different angle. Assuming everything you can check is tight and fine, I'd proceed until the noise either gets worse, or goes away. It could be something as simple as loosing a counterwieght off the wheel (if any were fitted), or it could be the driveshaft about to make an unscheduled appearance; or anything in between.

Good luck.

I've had similar on my 2000 GS when ever so slightly off perfectly upright, even changed the FD bearing twice, made no difference whatsoever. I came to the conclusion it was the Tourances squared off after 600 motorway miles to South of France. It disappears with new tyres so when it does it now I just ignore it.
Keep an eye on the final drive but I wouldn't fret too much. Have a great trip.

Hold the bike subframe and push the rear brake caliper with your foot, this will retract the brake pistons and leave the wheel free to turn with any interference from the brake pads.

Now spin the rear wheel. If the final drive bearing is causing the vibration you should feel it as you turn the rear wheel as well as hear it.

Don't forget to operate the rear brake once you've done the check, otherwise you'll have no rear brake when you first use it :D

I think this forum can offer more than Carol Nash in terms of advice... :thumby:

My first thought is, are you sure it's the rear wheel? Is it constant, rising and falling with speed changes? Is it there in all gears, all speeds?

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'll give Neil's suggestion a go first thing in the morning as it's pitch black here now. I hadn't considered the angle of the drive shaft on the main stand - thanks.

The vibration is there in all gears and speeds, although on roads we're riding speeds are limited to about 55mph. I'll try a test tomorrow when it's light to see if it does it freewheel - should have done it earlier but things were a little stressed.

You've got recovery.
As Ob has said, keep going until it get's worse - noticeably worse.
Then you may have a better idea if its tyre or mechanical.

Bit of an update...couldn't detect anything using Steptoe's advice, so decided to man up and carried on... did 300+ miles further North and have stopped about 40 miles from Nordkapp.

Vibration is still there, and my view is the wheel has lost a weight and is unbalanced - I'll try and get it looked at when we get to Tromso.

Bit of an update...couldn't detect anything using Steptoe's advice, so decided to man up and carried on... did 300+ miles further North and have stopped about 40 miles from Nordkapp.

Vibration is still there, and my view is the wheel has lost a weight and is unbalanced - I'll try and get it looked at when we get to Tromso.

Just a thought if you have spokes, are they all tight.

The only thing I can think of (and I have no idea if it applies to GS's) is on Guzzis the early sign of the UJ starting to go is vibration but usually felt first through the r/h foot rest.......

Andres

I call it touring terrors. well thats what I call it anyway.

Fecking panic at the slightest tremor or pop n bang, and in all reality, most of the time its just normal stuff.

also had it as a commercial fisherman in the southern ocean, the slightest 'different' noise, vibration or motion and it could become a struggle to maintain calm equilibrium.:blast

Update - got to Nordkapp but it looks like the drive shaft has now failed at Olderfjord. Carole Nash recovery have refused to recover the bike without a payment of €4000+ as we are too far north.

Trying to either locate a local bike mechanic or getting it to the nearest new dealer at Tromso.

That's shite, sorry to hear. Nothing I can do to help.. Hope you find a solution.

Awwww fuck!

Well done on making it though ;)

Hope you manage to sort it ~ what's the possibility of getting a spare shaft couriered out from Steptoe/Mikey.........?

Andres

Awwww fuck!

Well done on making it though ;)

Hope you manage to sort it ~ what's the possibility of getting a spare shaft couriered out from Steptoe/Mikey.........?

Andres

Thanks...

It's possible to get a shaft DHL from UK to Tromso. Problem is I'm a mechanical idiot, with limited tools and only one good arm so things are limited.

Looking at getting it Tromso via the ferry at hammerfest. If the dealer can't help then it may be an option to get to Bergen via the same ferry.

Back
Top Bottom