Screen 1100GS - Buffeting

Seamaster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having owned an 850GS for about 5 years, I should know the answer to this but I seam to go round in circles.
On my 850GS I tried the std screen and an MRA screen both provided varying degrees of buffeting
The best bikes I've ridden for a lack of buffeting do not have a screen at all.
Any further suggestions before I take a router to my puige screen and chop it in half.
I am a frustrated 6'er (5'11.5") with stumpy legs and long torso.

Hmm,sounds a bit odd...I used to own 2 1100s and am exactly your height,but never suffered any buffeting.
Saying that,what helmet do you wear?
I think some of the peak with visor dual sport type helmets that have appeared of late are prone to buffeting.
I used a Simpson Bandit and a Bell Moto 5 and was fine but do remember it being best if I just tilted my head down ever so slightly when wearing the Moto 5 at high speed.
Most of the newer dual sport ones have quite a high peak which may cause your problem if they're catching the turbulence off the screen.

Thanks for the reply.
I am wearing a shoei Neotec so no peak.
If I stand so I am 6" taller I get a smooth blast of air, if I sit on my Corbin I get a cracking/whipping sound from 60mph.

If you stand will simply change the flow of air that was hitting your knees sitting down, try putting your arm across your chest when you are riding, if the buffeting stops, means wind is coming from under, I solved my problem on a Harley by just getting a smaller screen, that I could adjust forward or back, and eventually found the sweet spot.

My middle son Tim is currently assessing for the Police the latest version of the R1200RS. He says it's frighteningly responsive and fast, utterly flickable and would suit the 'covert' guys who chase drug dealers very well. But at the price - even at the cops' discounted price on bikes sourced directly from Berlin-Spandau, he would expect such a bike to be absolutely perfect.

But of course it's not....

For the same price one can buy from a web-seller a brand new 1600cc Ford Focus auto with leather interior, aircon, satnav, etc., etc as well as the alloy wheels. So a bike costing the same, one would expect a lot of.

He says the OEM windscreen is a mess - manually adjusted but impossible to set for good wind and noise protection at all speeds, especially at supra-legal speeds, which is the rate these covert boys often need to go at.

Even set for high-speed wind deflection, he says the noise is so great that he can't hear properly the essential info broadcast into his helmet by Control.

So windscreens and the associated issues of wind and noise protection are problematical, to say the least.

I have one of these fitted to my K1200 it keeps the buffetting at bay at speeds the covert guys bike won't reach :rob
well, the standard screen allows enough airblast to slam my visor shut at 40 mph , whereas with the deflector fitted 110-120 on the autobahn still allows the visor to be cracked .

MRA works fine for me

I also have an 850GS. I'm 6'4" and, shall we say, ample in terms of build. I find that the MRA screen works well, but I have it in the most upright position (think that was a tip from somebody on here).

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

I also have an 850GS. I'm 6'4" and, shall we say, ample in terms of build. I find that the MRA screen works well, but I have it in the most upright position (think that was a tip from somebody on here).

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

The std screen is too small and too far away... Lay it as flat as it will go or get mra screen etc... The 2nd best screen i have tried I a secdem... Ugly but effective. The best by a stretch is an aeroflow... Not pretty but a way of semi rt'ing a Gs...

I've had 4x r11gs, amongst many other things ad am 6'5"... Always need bigger screens or homemade extensions...

Another one for laying the screen down as flat as possible. I cut the flip part off to start with and then made some brackets to tip the front edge up a bit on my 850. But I also did something similar with my first 1150 too.

Back
Top Bottom