Thread: Hotel recommendation for Western Pyrenees

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Hotel recommendation for Western Pyrenees

I've spent quite a few hours looking for a hotel for one night next week and have drawn a blank.Ideally I'd like to stay somewhere in the mountains in the area shown below,ideally on the Spanish side but doesnt have to be.

I did look at San Sebastian but prices are much steeper than they were a decade ago when I last went there,and Biarritz is possibly an option.But a nice little place with character and decent food in the hills would be rather pleasant.

Anybody got any recommendations ? Ta

PS
    I'd even thought of riding as far as the Picos,as I'm off to Western Asturias the next day anyway but all the hotels seem to be full on the 16th,which is the night I'm looking at.

What about St Jean de Luz which is a nice seaside resort? I stayed in San Sebastián at the Barcelo costa vasca which is about a 20 minute walk from the old town. Might be a bit cheaper. And has parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of teaching my granny how to suck eggs, have you tried something like Booking.com which I use a lot and never have any difficulties with

Search on one of the towns shown on the map, for example Aribe, and it gives you numerous options. The beauty is that generally you don't pay until you arrive and cancellations and changes to the booking are simple and can be done via the phone app. The reviews posted by previous visitors give a good idea of the place

Last time i was in that region, riding along the Pyrenees west to east it was a better bet nipping over the border into france for a night we found a very nice little place near st Jean Pied but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I don't normally tell people about this place as it's sooooooo good I don't want to spoil it with descending hordes of biker mates but seeing as it's you Arsey.............

Casa Zalama LINKY

It is truly fucking lovely. It's in a hamlet with no bar or restaurant but Maria (the owner) will cook you the most delightful meal. She also speaks good English (her fella is from Brighton and knows a few of the 'old' hands that used to be on here.....).

The roads in and around there are stunning on a bike. In fact. we'll be staying there next week................

I can't recommend the place highly enough but shhhhhhhh, don't tell anybody else!

Andres
    Busted to 'Hang Around'

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    I don't normally tell people about this place as it's sooooooo good I don't want to spoil it with descending hordes of biker mates but seeing as it's you Arsey.............

Casa Zalama LINKY

It is truly fucking lovely. It's in a hamlet with no bar or restaurant but Maria (the owner) will cook you the most delightful meal. She also speaks good English (her fella is from Brighton and knows a few of the 'old' hands that used to be on here.....).

The roads in and around there are stunning on a bike.

I can't recommend the place highly enough but shhhhhhhh, don't tell anybody else!

Andres
    That is now filed away in my places to stay cache
    Just a Prospect at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Becksy View Post
    What about St Jean de Luz which is a nice seaside resort? I stayed in San Sebastián at the Barcelo costa vasca which is about a 20 minute walk from the old town. Might be a bit cheaper. And has parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The cheapest in St Jean de Luz is £119 on Booking.com. Everything else is much more.

That Barcelo Costa Vasca is over £200.

Quote Originally Posted by mw3230 View Post
    At the risk of teaching my granny how to suck eggs, have you tried something like Booking.com which I use a lot and never have any difficulties with

Search on one of the towns shown on the map, for example Aribe, and it gives you numerous options. The beauty is that generally you don't pay until you arrive and cancellations and changes to the booking are simple and can be done via the phone app. The reviews posted by previous visitors give a good idea of the place
    Yes thanks.I use Booking.com all the time and was using it to try find a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post

Casa Zalama LINKY

The roads in and around there are stunning on a bike. In fact. we'll be staying there next week................

Andres

Looks fabulous,ta.Just a bit too far west as I'll be coming from La Roche Sur Yon that day.

Right,I've had another go and found the Hotel Churrut which is here :

Booked a room for £60 including brek using Booking.com.
    The restaurant menu looks great too.Sorted ta.

£200 for the Cost Vasca. Bloody hell. stayed there in 2012 for a week, it was much cheaper, about £110 a night early September. That's Brexit and the weak pound for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AirBnB....just did a month/5000m all over Europe booked a couple of days in advance and found some fantastic places to stay. Private rooms to entire appartments and our average nightly cost worked out to £46, although this was a bit inflated due higher cost in Germany.
    But more importantly we met some great people that hosted the accommodation and have stayed in touch with some of them.
    We did try booking.com/hotels.com and various similar sites but they were always more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In my experience the coastal places are more expensive, and the French side much more epensive than Spain for accommodation and food and drink. Coastal areas are also more densely urban and busy. We always stay inland. Going via Bilbao on Sunday. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkShelley View Post
    In my experience the coastal places are more expensive, and the French side much more epensive than Spain for accommodation and food and drink. Coastal areas are also more densely urban and busy. We always stay inland. Going via Bilbao on Sunday. Can't wait!
    Absolutely !!

Where I’m staying in Asturias, the local bar/restaurant charges a whopping €4 per bottle of vino !

We stayed in http://www.pensiongaribai.com/es/index.html this one this year, parking....well, there's plenty street parking on the street finding a wee spot may take a few loops :-)

but the hotel was great/clean and in a good spot near the old town
    Our biggest challenges are won or lost in the soul

I’m at the Hotel Churrut in Bera now. Great find ! Nice rooms,bar and restaurant look lovely as does the menu.Pretty good for €65 inc brek.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    I’m at the Hotel Churrut in Bera now. Great find ! Nice rooms,bar and restaurant look lovely as does the menu.Pretty good for €65 inc brek.
    Weblink for those wot is interested:

http://hotelchurrut.com/hotel-churrut/?lang=en

'n a map 'n all...