Alternative Tool Storage LC GS

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok Its raining and I'm bored.

just played about with a cycle drinks holder tool tube, about 200mm long can fit full tool kit in and stop and go kit, mounts nice and neat upfront in the same place as the cymarc emergency oil bottle and shelf does, I bought Marks kit for the bracket and strap (DON'T USE THE SHELF ON THE LC GS, it will catch on the folk, Mark sells the kit for a GSA not GS) so instead of the oil bottle these tool tubes sit nice and secure and a bit of a twat to get out so not easy to detach but nick-able if someone wants it just like a tail bag or handlebar bag I suppose.

Bottles on ebay for between £4 & £8 also straps for £1.50 not asked Mark but I wonder if he would supply the strap and little bracket without the shelf?

pictures to follow

Shite photos

62ecc0fb9e9cdc5bb1dbfbeb38c458a9.jpg
f10ab9f490bd376405dd9f2d333140b8.jpg

Ok Its raining and I'm bored.

just played about with a cycle drinks holder tool tube, about 200mm long can fit full tool kit in and stop and go kit, mounts nice and neat upfront in the same place as the cymarc emergency oil bottle and shelf does, I bought Marks kit for the bracket and strap (DON'T USE THE SHELF ON THE LC GS, it will catch on the folk, Mark sells the kit for a GSA not GS) so instead of the oil bottle these tool tubes sit nice and secure and a bit of a twat to get out so not easy to detach but nick-able if someone wants it just like a tail bag or handlebar bag I suppose.

Bottles on ebay for between £4 & £8 also straps for £1.50 not asked Mark but I wonder if he would supply the strap and little bracket without the shelf?

pictures to follow

Nice mod. Not much storage space on the GS, so every bit you can find helps. I put my Denali Soundbomb in that space as I wanted to retain the original horn and just add a second louder one. To make them lockable, if you were able to arrange a suitably placed bracket you might be able to do something similar to what I did with my tool tubes, by adding a stainless eye to the lid and padlocking it to a bracket.

Fred

A6K-3047129-5680-L.jpg

the 16 GS doesn't have the fully automatic suspension that the 17 does, trust me you need to check it for yourself first,

Nice mod. Not much storage space on the GS, so every bit you can find helps. I put my Denali Soundbomb in that space as I wanted to retain the original horn and just add a second louder one. To make them lockable, if you were able to arrange a suitably placed bracket you might be able to do something similar to what I did with my tool tubes, by adding a stainless eye to the lid and padlocking it to a bracket.

Fred

A6K-3047129-5680-L.jpg

Sorry to but in what brand is the luggage bracket?

Fred

A6K-3047129-5680-L.jpg

Sorry, what brand is the luggage bracket?

So you're saying the TE Alpine doesn't have the auto suspension?

I'm saying the 17 build bike has fully automatic suspension and different front beak, including different plastic panels, certainly different from my 16 build TB LC.

Is yours a 16 or 17 build?

Sept 16 so as for build good question.
My 1400 is a 14 build bike despite its nov13 reg

2016 Alpine TE

685cf55c7ef4e3caf0b13f7c98eaffb2.jpg

2017 Alpine TE

d3683fa2a8059c06f1e6c23a163fbfbc.jpg

The plastics around the underside of the cockpit on the 17 are completely different, beaks now in two parts with a black plastic insert, and the plastic mouldings under it are different to the 16.

As for suspension if yours says one up one up luggage and two up that's the semi active suspension not the 17 build fully automatic suspension.

2016 Alpine TE

685cf55c7ef4e3caf0b13f7c98eaffb2.jpg

2017 Alpine TE

d3683fa2a8059c06f1e6c23a163fbfbc.jpg

The plastics around the underside of the cockpit on the 17 are completely different, beaks now in two parts with a black plastic insert, and the plastic mouldings under it are different to the 16.

As for suspension if yours says one up one up luggage and two up that's the semi active suspension not the 17 build fully automatic suspension.

Ah, but...!

There's one in the middle of those two, which one BUILT (as opposed to registered) in September 2016 would be. Its the Euro 4 model, most idenifiable by the bodywork like the top one (2016) but with reflectors on the front forks like the bottom one. It has also features ABS Pro and the revised gearbox, but has the same suspension as the 2016.

Ah, but...!

There's one in the middle of those two, which one BUILT (as opposed to registered) in September 2016 would be. Its the Euro 4 model, most idenifiable by the bodywork like the top one (2016) but with reflectors on the front forks like the bottom one. It has also features ABS Pro and the revised gearbox, but has the same suspension as the 2016.

Exactly right. The initial 2017 spec, starting from the Sept 2016 build date, was an interim change mainly to meet Euro 4. The full spec 2017 bike with revised bodywork, self levelling suspension, etc, was not released until March 2017.

Ok rather than start another thread I thought it better to add to this one.

This mod might not be to everyones liking as it means cutting up the pillion seat.

Still not happy with available secure storage on the LC so looked at rear seat Rack and box, works but I just prefer the look and feel of having the pillion seat on the bike, but I don’t ever carry a pillion!

So took the dremmal to the underside of the pillion seat, followed the plastic moulded edges and cut out the section that held the fantastic BMW tool kit.

The next step was to remove some of the foam, bit of a laborious job as I didn’t want to risk cutting with a knife, so this was a pinch it all out with your fingers job. Took a bit of time but you end up with a space about 15cm by 20cm by 7cm deep.

38c853c718fa761fc754c6541aeef0ca.jpg

The seat retains its shape and still feels firm. The space is big enough to take a Kriega Kube organiser or something a little bigger (I think a Lomo waterproof bum bag will fit, going to order one and see).

bf2c94d31533a717143dfd7d07f73fc0.jpg

So nice and secure storage of a full tool kit and pump under the seat, the seat frame doesn’t appear affected by cutting out the centre and when fitted its just as before.

As I say maybe not a mod everyone will be willing to do, but works for me

That's a nice wee mod for some extra storage space. Curious to know if there's much change in the feel of the pillion seat...still the same or can ye feel the torx head drivers poking into yer bum? ;)

That's a nice wee mod for some extra storage space. Curious to know if there's much change in the feel of the pillion seat...still the same or can ye feel the torx head drivers poking into yer bum? ;)

Torx sockets laid on their side lol.

To be honest the fuller the bag the firmer the seat, as I say I don’t carry pillions so wont bother me but its bound to not be as comfy on a long run for Doris.

Back
Top Bottom