Getting at the Battery

Paul S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided it was time to connect a trickle charger lead to the battery - did a bit of searching on the web and found you do not have to remove the tank.

Just remove the triangular ali brackets from under the front part of the seat, take off the ali cover over the air intake and undue the front 2 tank bolts and tilt the tank back on the back hinge. Gives just enough room to get at the battery terminals - job done ;)

Decided it was time to connect a trickle charger lead to the battery - did a bit of searching on the web and found you do not have to remove the tank.

Just remove the triangular ali brackets from under the front part of the seat, take off the ali cover over the air intake and undue the front 2 tank bolts and tilt the tank back on the back hinge. Gives just enough room to get at the battery terminals - job done ;)

"Just"....still a right faff to get at the battery. If the battery is going to be tucked away they should have run secondary terminals somewhere accessible.

"Just"....still a right faff to get at the battery. If the battery is going to be tucked away they should have run secondary terminals somewhere accessible.

..........no - what they want you to do is buy their nice and expensive BMW branded charger that connects into the accessory socket ;)

Or just get an Optimate 4 connector for BMW canbus and job done also, but I do prefer the pigtail on the battery like you have done, hope them batteries dont die quickly and need replacing roadside.

So does mine - but I always prefer to connect the charger direct to the battery :p

Yes every time. Use the positive link under the seat and the earth / start bolt on the right hand cylinder. Link under the tank not a new option. Mine is a 2015 and has that pos link.

I just plug an optimate 4 into AUX - no need to even remove the seat!

............O'well - At least I only wasted half an hour or so and didn't actually remove tank :D

The age of these bikes.....If you have to use an optimate, just how did you justify the purchase of the bike......If you do not use it for two weeks, then you need flogging senseless.....The battery should be fine for weeks, as it is a simple affair, I shall find out when I fuck off over Christmas and no optimate.....I have one or three, but fucked if a new bike should need one.

The age of these bikes.....If you have to use an optimate, just how did you justify the purchase of the bike......If you do not use it for two weeks, then you need flogging senseless.....The battery should be fine for weeks, as it is a simple affair, I shall find out when I fuck off over Christmas and no optimate.....I have one or three, but fucked if a new bike should need one.

Mine has not seen an Optimate since I bought it over a month ago, but it gets out often, but it has no alarm system, on my harley fatbob if the battery was not on an Optimate in less than a week it would not have enough power to turn over that 1690cc engine, then I put an antigravitebatterie lithium 780 cca battery on the fatbob and it turned over everytime like a moped, and never put it on an optimate at all, yep I know :topic

I remember the days when a bike would start everytime without any optimate bollocks, these only came about because of wankers who use a bike as a fucking hobby or a leisure pursuit and these are the real wankers amongst us.

Exactly. Unless the bike is sat for months a modern battery won't need charging (unless folk have wired a load of third party crap into their bikes that drain the battery).

Exactly. Unless the bike is sat for months a modern battery won't need charging (unless folk have wired a load of third party crap into their bikes that drain the battery).

...............or you have a bike with a BMW alarm fitted ;)

IMO (which could well be wrong) the battery will last much longer before needing replacement if it is connected to a trickle charger once in a while :)

Back
Top Bottom