Arsey and Cabby's holiday thread

Where ?

We're ... heading in to Portugal to ride the Ride mag loop around Chaves.

Make sure you stay in the hotel in the fort (Sao Francisco) in Chaves - and for the ride in, I would strongly recommend going from Puebla de Sanabria to Bragança (ZA925) to pick up the N103 to Chaves: when we were doing the research ride to put those routes together, Weeble (the GS-owning photographer) called the 925 "possibly the best road I've ever ridden". But then we got into the rest of Portugal and had to recalibrate that kind of comment as so much of the riding is that good! Even so, that road still stands out as utterly brilliant...

Enjoy the ride!

Pyrenees in October?

Make sure you stay in the hotel in the fort (Sao Francisco) in Chaves - and for the ride in, I would strongly recommend going from Puebla de Sanabria to Bragança (ZA925) to pick up the N103 to Chaves: when we were doing the research ride to put those routes together, Weeble (the GS-owning photographer) called the 925 "possibly the best road I've ever ridden". But then we got into the rest of Portugal and had to recalibrate that kind of comment as so much of the riding is that good! Even so, that road still stands out as utterly brilliant...

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks Simon.

Yes we are staying in the fort !

My mate who is half Spanish and has a summer house in Oviñana has planned the route to and from Chaves.I'll take a peek and see what he has done.

I'm sure you've ridden there,but some of the roads in western Asturias are stunning.

4b369a795b70bab102dc226b0f9e3dc6.jpg

1b9b4e349cf87eef205f90ea89cb5ba5.jpg

Going again next week.

If you're on the Sunday service from Plymouth, we'll be on the same boat! And yes, I love the roads the further west you go in Asturias and into Galicia as well – I always think it's a pity so many people seem to get to Potes and go no further, bar a few loops around there. It is great, but there's so much more to be ridden!

ETA: I haven't ridden the AS13/AS11 combo you've highlighted - looks good. Going via Sanabria makes it quite a long day but does have the potential to one of the best rides imaginable - loads of my favourite roads (AS15, OU112 as well as the 925 and 103!) I'll file both of those for future use!

If you're on the Sunday service from Plymouth, we'll be on the same boat! And yes, I love the roads the further west you go in Asturias and into Galicia as well – I always think it's a pity so many people seem to get to Potes and go no further, bar a few loops around there. It is great, but there's so much more to be ridden!

ETA: I haven't ridden the AS13/AS11 combo you've highlighted - looks good. Going via Sanabria makes it quite a long day but does have the potential to one of the best rides imaginable - loads of my favourite roads (AS15, OU112 as well as the 925 and 103!) I'll file both of those for future use!

No,I'm coming from Guernsey so ferry to St Malo and ride down.

Created from the 'What will the weather be like in late October in the Pyrenees?' thread, to share the information and not distract from weather predictions.

Well, you were having such a nice chat, hotel advice, routes shared (interspersed with spoutings from some intemperate fellow) and all the while the bod might still be wondering about the weather.

Have a great time.

Richard

Enjoy the ride!

+1 for the hotel in the fort. Stayed there on a lap of Spain and Portugal a couple of years ago.

If I remember correctly, there's a fabulous little restaurant in the town too, run by two old grandmas. Can't remember the name but Tripadvisor will help...

Where ?

We're going back to Ovinaña in Asturias then riding locally/Picos plus a couple of nights heading in to Portugal to ride the Ride mag loop around Chaves.

Chaves very interesting places just over the border in Spain, nice drinks ;)

Back
Top Bottom