macbook air mac keeper

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
anybody got any leads on a software maintainer like mackeeper but for sensible money?

Thats interesting, never heard of it. If you run it whats your verdict on it. I used to have Kaspersky on my Mac and found it dropped my speed quite a bit. It didn't seem to effect my Microsoft software to any noticeable extent (on a separate pc )

Had it on an Macbook pro year 2014 it ran quite well for me, may be different for others.

It's malware, apparently, and plays havoc with popups…. there are some quite easy to follow instructions on how to remove it.

don't ask me how i know.:blast

4 yrs with my MBP, no protection and no issues. That was not the case with Windoze. Basic housekeeping's all that's needed: Don't install any dodgy software and if Mac asks you to authorise anything think very carefully.

Don't use mac keeper!!! It will slow your machine

Yep ... 100% agree

Also as Grinning says above.
Thats the whole point of running Apple stuff. Its a more tightly controlled environment.
Far less risk. Stop thinking like you did when you ran a shitty microsoft windows pc.

An addendum for Apple to 'basic housekeeping': only install software from the Appstore (they wring the heck out of it before permitting it ), or only install from main company websites' i.e. if you are on a site and they send you a link to Adobe or whatever, no matter how real it appears, don't do it. The Apple operating systems are protected (and hidden ) so nasties cannot sneak their way in uninvited. NO NEED FOR ANTIVIRUS

Do you trust Kapersky ? Do you trust all of those Huawei chips on your motherboard ? You'll never prevent state spying but as far as the other stuff your as safe with Apple OSX on its own compared to heavily burdened 'protected and firewalled ' Windoze. That's my 2p and my amateur experience .

The Apple Os is similar to (arguably based on) Unix/Linux. Applications are given their own access rights with limited cross connections to other applications. This makes multi tasking more difficult to manage (from the Os development point of view) but is massively safer for users. Apps can crash but won’t stop the computer though they might lock out the memory they had been using. Malware that does get in (usually user mistakes) can’t do very much harm.
Windows opens everything, so while you can easily switch between apps, so can anything else. One malware gets through the front door it has the run of the house.

Apple are not infallible. Their latest update had a super user access work-around. Not good but quickly dealt with and one of the very few forced updates that Apple have issued.

Apple is also a walled garden. If you want to run questionable software, bit-torrent downloads etc you are in the wrong place. If that’s your poison then get a Linux system like Ubuntu.

Back
Top Bottom