Filtering on a BMW GSA

Nowt wrong with that all , speed was low and car taken at junctions . Could easily have avoided any last minute lane changers .

I travel every day for work and I'm constantly amazed by how many bikes I see sat in queues . It's the main benefit of being on 2 wheels :blast Sometimes I want to get out of my car and tell them to stop being so stupid. I followed some hipster on 17 plate Bonnie the other week for 15 mins/ 2mile long queue and the road was wide enough for an HGV to go down the middle of both lanes.

That's not really filtering in the video though. I used to travel in to Baker Street from Ruislip via the A40 Westway every day . Some of the nutters filtering through traffic would scare the shit out of you if caught on camera . The fastest guy by far was a geezer in full race leathers on an early TDM850 ...he came past me most mornings. I was riding my 1150GS and would get stuck sometimes due to being a bit wide and there would be scooter riders stuck behind me shouting me to "get out of the way twat" :D

Yes I'd have done the same, I think most people would that's one of the reasons for having a bike.
Cameras give a different outlook and also seem to look quicker than it actually is.
As long as you're happy with it that's the main thing :thumb2

I'd have done much the same, though I thought there were a couple of slightly dodgy moments squeezing through narrow gaps where cars were pulling out around parked cars. This was done decisively and when the cars were in the process of pulling back in, but I think it was perhaps putting more trust in the car drivers just approaching the obstacle than I would have been comfortable with.

It also looks a bit quick viewing in a small window, but I agree that this is an effect of viewing on screen, and I've noticed this strange perceptual effect before. If you make the video display larger, ideally full screen, and then move your head closer, there is a point when everything magically slows down to something more realistic and nearer to what you would expect when actually riding. Move your head back a bit and it speeds up again. I tend to feel it depends on how immersive the viewing experience is, and in particular how much of your field of vision is taken up with the video.

My theory is that once you get close enough your brain thinks you are really riding and devotes much more processing power to watching what is going on, with the result that things seem to happen slower - a bit like when everything seems to go into slow motion when you have a "moment" out on the road and the adrenaline is flowing. I also get a really strange feeling when watching one of my video clips from close up if the bike leans over - presumably because my brain thinks I am really riding and is expecting to sense the change of angle but doesn't. This doesn't happen when watching a smaller video display from further away.

Fred

Why were you going so slow? 99 secs? Keep the revs up, let them know you're coming, fogs on, get it done in 60secs... you only perpetuated knowledge that GS riders are slow :thumby:

:)

Why were you going so slow? 99 secs? Keep the revs up, let them know you're coming, fogs on, get it done in 60secs... you only perpetuated knowledge that GS riders are slow :thumby:

:)

Haha because I was in a 30 mph Urban Environment.

I don't think I'm a slow GSA Rider by any means, but I try and stay respectful.

Here's me in the countryside with multi-vehicle overtakes :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/skNyQ91Va1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's me in the wet with multi-vehicle overtakes :beerjug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QABZuNOpwRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep I commute on a GSA as well, and I would have done exactly the same. You were just making progress.
The main risks as have been said are frustrated drivers turning around or not signalling for a right turn, so as long as you're prepared and able to stop for that you're good.
From an advanced test POV I think you would have been failed for not making progress if you found yourself in that position.
Stay safe!

If someone is exiting the driveways on your right - if they see slow moving nose-to-tale traffic on the other side of the road ........

They are very likely to only look to their right, pulling out directly into your path.

You can hold the moral high ground but - you could be doing it from a hospital bed.

I think 'filtering past' rather than 'overtaking' would be more prudent.

Al

Filtering, not overtaking. Just normal riding to me, certainly wouldnt go to the trouble of posting- putting on to Youtube. Thats for wheelies and stuff.

I take it this is for the newbies?

Filtering, not overtaking. Just normal riding to me, certainly wouldnt go to the trouble of posting- putting on to Youtube. Thats for wheelies and stuff.

I take it this is for the newbies?

I think it's interesting, and something different to look at instead of Rusting, Forking, Oil or Tyre threads.

So far in opinions, its too fast, too slow, risky, perfectly safe, ranging from 'Hospital Bed' to Failing an Advanced Test if you didn't do it. Haha.

Therefore, in my opinion, even though it may appear to be boring, it's certainly a stimulant for conversation.

If anyone learns anything, not from the video itself, but in the comments and discussion from it, then all good this end. :thumb2

But I also come across a LOT of riders who wont filter/overtake when I'm out and about. Until I do it usually, then they all come piling in behind me :blast

Maybe it all varies with Age, Experience, Training, Machine being used, etc

Nothing in that clip that I wouldn't do myself. Once you're able to respond to an emerging vehicle from the right or a driver u-turning from the queue, then all's good. No way on earth would I queue along with the rest of the metal boxes, otherwise there's no point in being on the bike at all!!

What a video doesn't capture is that level of concentration that helps you read a vehicle's 'attitude'. Quite often you get a feel for when a vehicle is about to make a manoeuvre even before it happens. Not quite sixth sense, but something like it.

Well ridden IMHO, and good to see decent discussion about it too... :thumb2

Haha because I was in a 30 mph Urban Environment.

I don't think I'm a slow GSA Rider by any means, but I try and stay respectful.

Here's me in the countryside with multi-vehicle overtakes :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/skNyQ91Va1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's me in the wet with multi-vehicle overtakes :beerjug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QABZuNOpwRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry, I was fishing and you bit! :D

You're clearly enjoying your riding - safe riding :thumb

Enjoyed that and I'd have done the same. I've been the victim of a sudden right turn (40 yrs ago) and that was at a low speed. It happened to fast that I still don't know if I could have avoided it, regardless of whatever advanced training is out there.Your vid sums up why we ride bikes.

You did it correctly. From the camera position, it may seem that you did not have good visibility ahead, though, from your eye level, I am.sure that you had good visibility way ahead.

Surprised that the cars were not bunched up as they usually are when in a hurry and you had sufficient space to slot in when you needed to.

Ride safe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll try not to go too much off topic, but a bike with sticky out engines gives you the best protection in the event of a car suddenly turning right. DAMHIKT. So yes you've also got the correct t bike.

I would have over taken you :p That said Ban parking on the road, there would not have been much of a hold up

Back
Top Bottom