Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Filtering on a BMW GSA

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    burton on trent

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spareparts View Post
    Sorry, I was fishing and you bit!

You're clearly enjoying your riding - safe riding
    A quick shifter that sounds to ne working very well. I wished mine had been like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I think it's interesting, and something different to look at instead of Rusting, Forking, Oil or Tyre threads.

So far in opinions, its too fast, too slow, risky, perfectly safe, ranging from 'Hospital Bed' to Failing an Advanced Test if you didn't do it. Haha.

Therefore, in my opinion, even though it may appear to be boring, it's certainly a stimulant for conversation.

If anyone learns anything, not from the video itself, but in the comments and discussion from it, then all good this end.

But I also come across a LOT of riders who wont filter/overtake when I'm out and about. Until I do it usually, then they all come piling in behind me

Maybe it all varies with Age, Experience, Training, Machine being used, etc
    Bloody hell interesting riding through urban areas? No fun. No fun. No fun. Get out there and ride roads that are fun. Or tracks. Or green lanes. Believe me the people that would like to discuss this need to be avoided. Cmon. End of thread.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzyB View Post
    So many right turns; so many opportunities for a car or van to take one without indicating or looking...
    Yep , nothing to do with oncoming traffic.... All the risk here as Chazzy says...

Quote Originally Posted by thumperbob2002 View Post
    Bloody hell interesting riding through urban areas? No fun. No fun. No fun. Get out there and ride roads that are fun. Or tracks. Or green lanes. Believe me the people that would like to discuss this need to be avoided. Cmon. End of thread.
    I disagree.

There are so many disciplines for motorcycle riding that everything can be made to be fun. There should be a MMA Style of motorcycling. Mixed Motorcycle Arts - Cage Fighters.

Over the years I've trained with IAM and RoSPA for Advanced Roadcraft. Ron Haslam and California Superbike School for track riding. Craig Jones Stunt Riding and Gymkhana for general hooning about and commuting through heavy traffic. Blood Bikes for Hi-Viz progress and going to my first BMW off-road school in next 2 weeks.

I'm no expert but I've always had a plan to learn and practice as much as I can. They're all arrows in my quiver and various 'skills' can be practised whenever I choose. So rather than just repeatedly ride the same roads (which do become boring after years of the same thing, I can assure you), I now practice skills I've learned on every ride, however mundane they might be, and in any Weather that might afflict me on the day.

So that way I can perform reasonably well in any environment. It then keeps my enthusiasm for riding alive.

I'm not just a sunny day rider, or a track day rider, or a green lane rider, or an all weather commuter or Long Distance Tourer.

I can be all of those. Now that's fun and enjoyable.

Track Riding on the road for the adrenaline rush soon becomes tiring after you've seen bikermate after bikermate airlifted to hospital dead or barely alive, as I have. And for those that look at my video's and think "I could ride faster than that", you probably could. I have learned to hold back 20-30% to allow for mistakes and the unpredictable nature of road riding. It helps me get home at the end of each day and has served me well in the past, unlike some people I've rode with in the past.

Motorcycling is like Martial Arts in some ways. It takes years to really learn the basics and get to the Black Belt. At which point you suddenly realise just how much you don't know.... then the learning really starts and never stops. But it doesn't necessarily stop a cocky aggressive streetfighting White Belt to still knock you out and show you up haha. Just enjoy what you do. End of.

Anyone that used martial arts as examples I don't think I'll argue with!!

I disagree.

There are so many disciplines for motorcycle riding that everything can be made to be fun. There should be a MMA Style of motorcycling. Mixed Motorcycle Arts - Cage Fighters.

Over the years I've trained with IAM and RoSPA for Advanced Roadcraft. Ron Haslam and California Superbike School for track riding. Craig Jones Stunt Riding and Gymkhana for general hooning about and commuting through heavy traffic. Blood Bikes for Hi-Viz progress and going to my first BMW off-road school in next 2 weeks.

I'm no expert but I've always had a plan to learn and practice as much as I can. They're all arrows in my quiver and various 'skills' can be practised whenever I choose. So rather than just repeatedly ride the same roads (which do become boring after years of the same thing, I can assure you), I now practice skills I've learned on every ride, however mundane they might be, and in any Weather that might afflict me on the day.

So that way I can perform reasonably well in any environment. It then keeps my enthusiasm for riding alive.

I'm not just a sunny day rider, or a track day rider, or a green lane rider, or an all weather commuter or Long Distance Tourer.

Track Riding on the road for the adrenaline rush soon becomes tiring after you've seen bikermate after bikermate airlifted to hospital dead or barely alive, as I have. And for those that look at my video's and think "I could ride faster than that", you probably could. I have learned to hold back 20-30% to allow for mistakes and the unpredictable nature of road riding. It helps me get home at the end of each day and has served me well in the past, unlike some people I've rode with in the past.

Motorcycling is like Martial Arts in some ways. It takes years to really learn the basics and get to the Black Belt. At which point you suddenly realise just how much you don't know.... then the learning really starts and never stops. But it doesn't necessarily stop a cocky aggressive streetfighting White Belt to still knock you out and show you up haha. Just enjoy what you do. End of.
    Where's the 'like' button when you need it

Warlord you are a wanker

Just completed a 25 miles cross country commute and decided to count my overtakes, what starts as a count turns into a challenge.

158 and if I had a GoPro with subtitles it would have been reading

Sweeeet
    Cheeky
    Breath In
    I thought only Moses can do that
    It's only a number you've got enough already
    fuck, fuck, you cnut where's my lens cap
    At last we've arrived, can we please not count overtakes in future
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

Quote Originally Posted by Wreford Miles View Post
    Warlord you are a wanker

Just completed a 25 miles cross country commute and decided to count my overtakes, what starts as a count turns into a challenge.

158 and if I had a GoPro with subtitles it would have been reading

Sweeeet
    Cheeky
    Breath In
    I thought only Moses can do that
    It's only a number you've got enough already
    fuck, fuck, you cnut where's my lens cap
    At last we've arrived, can we please not count overtakes in future
    Haha, it's not meant to be a challenge!

Anyways, Pics and Video or it never happened

If you want a challenge, the best training you'll ever get for overtakes and speed is from this guy.

True Legend.

https://youtu.be/tAlREpfsIf0

Was out riding today.

You know sometimes motorcycling can be very satisfying... like overtaking 45 cars in 99 seconds and saving yourself 30 minutes in a nasty queue.

No-doubt going to be slated for this video, but what would you have done, stuck your bike at the back of the queue like the other guy? And waited?

Or got the job done and be off...
    Be off with you!
    Cars & Vans for a living, Bikes to feel alive!

I disagree.

Very good.

Similar filtering for me today but as I approached the end of the queue of traffic I noticed a bloke walking in front of the first car.
    Took me a few seconds to clock it was a funeral car and I was about to blat past the whole procession!

Cue me braking hard and squeezing in to the procession hoping nobody noticed!

Quote Originally Posted by WaterMonkey View Post
    Similar filtering for me today but as I approached the end of the queue of traffic I noticed a bloke walking in front of the first car.
    Took me a few seconds to clock it was a funeral car and I was about to blat past the whole procession!

Cue me braking hard and squeezing in to the procession hoping nobody noticed!
    I overtake while saluting in a sort of official outrider kinda way
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

That's an awkward one ; do you overtake funeral processions ? Do you overtake ambulances ?
    I think I'm in the yes camp, I think , still thinking ....
    Too shiny and clean to use it properly.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningGSer View Post
    That's an awkward one ; do you overtake funeral processions ? Do you overtake ambulances ?
    I think I'm in the yes camp, I think , still thinking ....
    If there is a guy walking in the road with top hat and cane I think it'd be a bit disrespectful screaming past on the upshifter.

I think it would be equally disrespectful dropping down the box and diving into the middle of a procession to avoid screaming past or hitting oncoming traffic somewhere in the middle.

I think somewhere about 6 to 10 cars back would be about right, but once that man with the cane gets out of the road, all bets are off.... providing you can get past 10 cars cleanly with three hail Marys

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast