Absolutely gutted ....2002 1150gs

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst away in Italy the HID bulb on my 1150 blew. No big deal, got a replacement and fitted it this evening.
Lit up as it should straight away then after a minute or so went out. There was a smell of burning and a wisp of smoke from under the instruments.
I turned it off straight away and when `I've looked, the wiring to the supply plug that goes onto the back of the dipped beam has the insulation melted off it.
Further investigation, looks like the wires that attach to this wiring, inside the bulb cover (two spades) to supply the ballast, may have touched the pins inside and shorted out.
I'm absolutely gutted, so PLEASE no wisecracks, anyone any ideas on likely outcome, and how difficult/easy it may be to fix?
thanks

www.hids4u.co.uk sell good quality Hid lights for £37.50 with 2 years warranty. They always answer their phone and are helpful with advise. I believe they supply spare parts. It might be worth calling them. I bought from them years ago and found them much more approachable than the other person always recommended on this website who is hard to get a reply from!

www.hids4u.co.uk sell good quality Hid lights for £37.50 with 2 years warranty. They always answer their phone and are helpful with advise. I believe they supply spare parts. It might be worth calling them. I bought from them years ago and found them much more approachable than the other person always recommended on this website who is hard to get a reply from!

I'm sorry, but the problems not the HID kit. The wiring loom up to the dipped beam has melted. Looks like there was a bare bit of metal on one of the spades which has shorted out and I'm assuming caused it.

Rewire it making sure it won't short out as you suggest and see if it works :)

A picture would help. But for a moment I thought you were going to say the whole loom had melted!

Whilst I hate electrics (probably because I always seem to be dealing with it on a 10yr+ ok old bike, so rock hard wires that are deteriorating!).

But it sounds like you should check you're right about why it shorted. Then check the rest of the electrical system is all OK. Then go for a local repair to the damaged wires by splicing in new writes and connectors.

This is what is be doing. But hang on for some people better with the electrics than me!

from what you describe its not the end of the world. A bit of insulating tape should get you home. JJH

A picture would help. But for a moment I thought you were going to say the whole loom had melted!

Whilst I hate electrics (probably because I always seem to be dealing with it on a 10yr+ ok old bike, so rock hard wires that are deteriorating!).

But it sounds like you should check you're right about why it shorted. Then check the rest of the electrical system is all OK. Then go for a local repair to the damaged wires by splicing in new writes and connectors.

This is what is be doing. But hang on for some people better with the electrics than me!

My colleague at work has recently suffer the same fate on his 2002 1150 GS. Replaced the standard headlight bulb, turned on the ignition and the front loom went up in smoke. No fuse to prevent it. Some of the wiring looked as if it had been worn away over time. Had to replace the entire loom. Not too difficult just take your time. Get the correct loom for you bike or speak to Sherlocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom