Factory Lowered F650GS Twin - ground clearance?

Elle

Reaction score
Hoping someone out there has better information than Google as I have a question that's driving me crazy :help :

- what is the ground clearance of a standard height F650 GS (twin = 800cc, not the single)
- what is the ground clearance of a factory lowered version of the same bike
:nenau

I have owned a standard model but a steep camber or gravel car park caused great angst. I sold the bike before moving overseas & have regretted it since.

I'm on the brink of buying a factory lowered version but have been amazed how much lower it is. I can fully flat foot it & am concerned it will have issues with ground clearance. It's a 2010 model with 65k kms.

From what I've read, I could also easily put it back to standard or mid-way height by replacing the shock & fork springs (eg Hyperpro). Can anyone confirm this?

BMW don't quote ground clearance, I guess it depends so much on whether you fit a bash plate .... or not. Then how do you like the suspension set-up.

Essentially, the low chassis version is set at 55 mm lower than standard, so around 2 inches less. To raise the lowered bike would seem like a costly exercise at this pricepoint.

If it helps BMW quote: -

Standard chassis seat height 820 mm
Std Chassis, dual seat low 790 mm
Lowered Suspension Model 765 mm

Measurements are without rider at unladen weight - 199 Kg ready for the road 90% fuel load

I have a Factory Lowered F700GS ('17 version) which I could measure the ground clearance for if you like? I'd assume it would be similar to the F650's.

Can you not get an aftermarket lowering kit that will drop it by say 1"....and then look at getting an upholsterer to reshape the seat to give an extra inch or two ?

Can you not get an aftermarket lowering kit that will drop it by say 1"....and then look at getting an upholsterer to reshape the seat to give an extra inch or two ?

I had my std ( low seat ) lowered when I had Wilbers fitted earlier this year. I went for 25mm, but 50 mm was possible.

Dave, good thought on the seat, not without problems though. I had just this idea so contacted Tony Archer of seat fame. He said he is regularly asked by F650 owners , but if you already have a low seat, the padding is already at minimum. If you take more out or use less higher density you make the seat flatter.

This indirectly spreads your thighs out thus shortening your legs, bugger isnt it.

Elle only you can look at the ground clearance and with a view of your riding decide if its for you. You could fit an adventure spec type sump guard ( this will lower clearance too) if you are concerned.

An extra 1" thick sole on my riding boots helped me

thanks for all the replies :beerjug:

After a few worrying dreams I concluded if I didn't like the bike being low & I could afford an inch less on leg length, I would fit a different shock - or sell it on .
Pick it up later this week & I guess I'll be resubscribing to the group :thumb

I have a Factory Lowered F700GS ('17 version) which I could measure the ground clearance for if you like? I'd assume it would be similar to the F650's.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Could you please get these dims for me. Wife looking to buy her first bike and being only 5’2” with 27.5” inseam struggling pretty much with everything out there. I assume that factory lowered bike with standard seat would give you 765mm seat height and that can further be reduced by replacing standard seat with low or extra low version?

Kind regards

EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EV, my wife claims to be 5'00" and has happily ridden her lowered F650GS (low seat) since 2008; she's not quite got both feet flat, but enough to cope.

ps - Too cold to go into garage and start measuring things but ground clearance has never been an issue.

EV, my wife claims to be 5'00" and has happily ridden her lowered F650GS (low seat) since 2008; she's not quite got both feet flat, but enough to cope.

ps - Too cold to go into garage and start measuring things but ground clearance has never been an issue.

Smashing! Thank you!

Just to clarify, she (your wife) rides a lowered bike with low seat or is it a standard height seat?

It's the factory lowered bike, with a low seat. I'd say, come and try it, but we are in West Devon so you'll probably find something closer.

Along with lack of inches often comes small hands and feet. I've put a shorter gear lever and cranked adjustable clutch/brake levers on it too, so factor those into any purchase.

It's the factory lowered bike, with a low seat. I'd say, come and try it, but we are in West Devon so you'll probably find something closer.

Along with lack of inches often comes small hands and feet. I've put a shorter gear lever and cranked adjustable clutch/brake levers on it too, so factor those into any purchase.

Thank you for the offer, it is much appreciated. However, you are a tad to far.

Back
Top Bottom