New Africa Twin DCT

Ta. Not quite in the same the space rocket league as the orange though. Cheers. Lets see how it is though

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mmm OK, my honest feedback....Had an hour on the DCT and must say on the highway its fine, A roads ok but in town/london traffic and doing slow turns into sideroads, u turns etc I found it hard to master without jerking myself, let alone a passenger. Its either on or off. Think Triumph 1050 before they fixed the fuelling. The D mode was lurchy and snatchy and had me in 5th gear at 35mph. I know that's what its supposed to do but it leaves not enough at the ready power for that quick overtake. I found S2 the closest to where I would change gear, but just short of it. So I spent more time in Manual. And that was cool. Engine braking on both is good. But you have to almost learn to ride again and remember to downshift when turning into a side road, going around a roundabout.

Its very clever that even in manual mode, if you suddenly stop or slow down enough, it'll move the gears down and then into neutral. So you won't stall and I imagine one gets used to it but I missed being able to change gear exactly when I wanted. Either early or late. I also found a slight lag when downshifting to take a quick gap. Its just not instant. For touring I imagine its wicked, but it just wasn't for me. I like a gear change, and to be able to rev a bike. Maybe I am not ready to give away all that a clutch can do yet. Without being funny, in town it was like a powerful, torquey scoot. And in manual mode, why then get the DCT...The handling was good and you don't notice the larger wheel, the balance is better than the BMW and the wind was bearable. Above 75 you really do know that you're on a bike as it pulls at your arms and shoulders, not like when you're behind a GS barn door! I noticed at around 65mph my helmet visor kept getting closed so there must be some wind up there closing it/pushing down. I imagine this is related to the forks letting in so much air as reported by others who have fitted the plastic panelk mod. I didn't have my adventure lid on so can't say i got a head shake at all.

Its quick enough with enough torque for zipping along nicely. Acceleration is fine and very linear. Not in the pan/fjr league though but it makes very good use of the 94 bhp it has. Felt very stable at speed and I liked the brakes. A little more dive on the front compared to my GS but manageable. Felt narrower and better balanced. So I didn't like the DCT.

I then asked to take out a manual. I did like the manual . The clutch is oh so light and it was nice not to hear a thunk when changing gears :) Clutchless up shifts were easy. Down was ok. But I found having the use of a clutch made it more hooligan ish for me, if that makes sense. Almost like a supermotard. The sound is pretty good too. The dealer couldn't offer any discounts at first on the manual one and they really wanted the DCT's to shift. as Honda are financing the dealers contributions. Its such a good deal so I took the DCT out again. Within 300 m I was so over the DCT.

So when I got back and said no way to the DCT, but I liked the manual one they knew I was serious. So I have ordered an AT in Red on a very similar deal to the DCT PCP deal. No deposit, Nought % PCP and £1900 off list price for a brand new 2017 Rally Red. I will miss my GS but I have to move on or forever be a BMW owner. Be prepared for loads of numpty questions re farkles as the forums for the AT are not close to UKGSER. So no, I am not flouncing!

I missed being able to change gear exactly when I wanted. Either early or late. !

I've just been away with a group of bods and several AT DCT and I was very impressed how quick these could be ridden, especially as my 160 bhp was far too powerful, whereas these guys were really enjoying the ability of using the DCT with the gearstick when making progress and when running through villages and towns they would switch to full auto mode. I think the DCT gearstick option gives the feeling your still connected to the bike.

Anyways I ordered a DCT tri-colour today for £9k on the rd, I've added the gearstick option and centre stand, no deposit, 0% and £69 a month over 3 yrs, it's a no brainier and after 3 years they can have it back, it will have cost me £2484 whereas I've lost £6-£7k in a year on my current ktm

I've just been away with a group of bods and several AT DCT and I was very impressed how quick these could be ridden, especially as my 160 bhp was far too powerful, whereas these guys were really enjoying the ability of using the DCT with the gearstick when making progress and when running through villages and towns they would switch to full auto mode. I think the DCT gearstick option gives the feeling your still connected to the bike.

Anyways I ordered a DCT tri-colour today for £9k on the rd, I've added the gearstick option and centre stand, no deposit, 0% and £69 a month over 3 yrs, it's a no brainier and after 3 years they can have it back, it will have cost me £2484 whereas I've lost £6-£7k in a year on my current ktm
Thats a cracking deal. I wanted to like the dct. Oh how i wanted to as the deal is good.. But the bike is actually fun so i paid a little more but still valie. And looks good to me. No tri colors available

Don, the comment you made about why buy the DCT and shift yourself is one I hear quite often when I tell people I use Manual quite a bit . The great thing about DCT is when riding manually the changes are über smooth and you cannot mess up a shift , it's particularly good coming down the box when you can just bang it down a few gears just pressing the button.

The second thing is , as you find ouut , even in manual you can't stall it and you can brake cleanly up to a junction or roundabout and at the very end the bike will drop down into first or neutral for you if you stop.

Thirdly I can ride it manually on fun / fast roads with my mates as I like to do and then at the end of a long days ride you can select auto and just forget it and take it easy . Don't underestimate how great that is. My best riding buddy commented on a recent weekend away now much harder it is for him to have to work the bike at the end of the day to keep up with me and he knows all I'm doing ( when I'm coming out of junctions, exiting roundabouts or overtaking ) is simply winding open the throttle .

It's not for everyone but in all but walking pace situations and feet up you turns I really love it. The only time I really hated it was trying to get over the Hardknott pass wihtout looking like a wobbly newbie.

Enjoy your new bike:thumb2:thumb2

Don, the comment you made about why buy the DCT and shift yourself is one I hear quite often when I tell people I use Manual quite a bit . The great thing about DCT is when riding manually the changes are über smooth and you cannot mess up a shift , it's particularly good coming down the box when you can just bang it down a few gears just pressing the button.

The second thing is , as you find ouut , even in manual you can't stall it and you can brake cleanly up to a junction or roundabout and at the very end the bike will drop down into first or neutral for you if you stop.

Thirdly I can ride it manually on fun / fast roads with my mates as I like to do and then at the end of a long days ride you can select auto and just forget it and take it easy . Don't underestimate how great that is. My best riding buddy commented on a recent weekend away now much harder it is for him to have to work the bike at the end of the day to keep up with me and he knows all I'm doing ( when I'm coming out of junctions, exiting roundabouts or overtaking ) is simply winding open the throttle .

It's not for everyone but in all but walking pace situations and feet up you turns I really love it. The only time I really hated it was trying to get over the Hardknott pass wihtout looking like a wobbly newbie.

Yeah. I got that feeling too but i spend too much time having to finesse the bike on my commute to be confident in it, hence the clutch. Yrs. On the run back to the shop i was loving the manual down and up smoothness but in close traffic those miniscule manoeuvres made me prefer a clutch. But well impressed with the torque and go of it. Like the sound too

Very good points well made.

One thing I'm not keen on, on my dct is sometimes for example a slow u turn to the right when you can't use the rear brake, or off roading. I've seen a great mod you can do which is to put a rear brake where the clutch lever is. You can do it using honda parts from the big 750 "adventure " :blast scooter :D .

this post i read just now accurately portrays the bikes character."the time gained over sitting back and picking out a careful overtake is probably no more than five minutes on the whole journey. But, when a bike is this much fun and feels so confident and secure, sometimes it’s worth letting ‘bad-Steve’ out of the box. Like I said up top, the Honda has a playfulness that I only previously felt in BMW’s big GS." It also mentions the desire for a hand held brake lever..https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/honda/honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-winter-test

That's just so ridiculously cheap I can't believe they can sell em so cheap .

I've just been on the ready reckoner and that beautiful , ultra reliable , class leading , finely tuned piece of Japanese history in the making will cost you a measly £2.27 per day. That's either 4 cigarettes , a shitty flat white coffee or 2 cans is Stella you gotta give up each day :D
Who's doing this deal I might get another one :D

Yeah. I got that feeling too but i spend too much time having to finesse the bike on my commute to be confident in it, hence the clutch. Yrs. On the run back to the shop i was loving the manual down and up smoothness but in close traffic those miniscule manoeuvres made me prefer a clutch. But well impressed with the torque and go of it. Like the sound too

Good man...enjoy the new toy when it arrives....there is a world outside of BMW!!

I had 7 great years on my GS, but it was time for a change :thumb2

Good man...enjoy the new toy when it arrives....there is a world outside of BMW!!

I had 7 great years on my GS, but it was time for a change :thumb2

Same here. 7 years on GS’s, things have been shaken up since the arrival of the orange one.

Who's doing this deal I might get another one :D

I called John banks and they have sold 120 bikes and have no more available and now taking names for cancellations, I noted the mention of Dobbles, ask for Paul or Ian, me and my mate brought one, they have black and Dakar red.

Same here. 7 years on GS’s, things have been shaken up since the arrival of the orange one.
Cheers boys. I will enjoy. If budget could, i think an orange would have been nice. But i like the look, sound and dealer location of the honda. The bike honks back to my desire to own the original at when i was about 16. And sounds similar to the xr200 i had at 18. Looking forwatd to hooning the new steed.

I too ordered an Africa Twin in the rallye red, at the ridiculously cheap sub £9k price. John Banks only had a black one, but Doble matched the deal on a red one. Looking forward to collecting it next weekend. Already picked up a Termi silencer and will hunt for a set of headers. Ive also added a centre stand and wind deflectors. The heated grips and spot lights are extraordinarily expensive from Honda so i'll go aftermarket for those.

Back
Top Bottom