Off road school vfm?

samsgs

Reaction score
Is the BMW one the best bang for the buck. I know Yamaha and Honda do one, but I have never ridden off road so want a course where the bike is provided (sweet lamb dont rent) and hopefully have some gear I can borrow as well. Mainly boots I guess, as I have textile kit

thanks

I did it years ago, enjoyed it and thought it was OK VFM as I just turned up and rode. Have a look at http://www.adysmith.co.uk/
I'm likely to have a day or two with him in Spring before taking the plunge and getting something like a CRF250

Did the Yamaha one several times years back where you get bikes and kit - can't comment on kit as always took my own. Always found them good, fun days, with lots to learn, although once I ended up on a 125 two-stroke race-prepped machine (YZ? Can't remember), which I found a pig to ride. Much preferred the WR250Fs. The instructors there know their stuff and there's plenty of different terrain too. I'd recommend it. Not done the BMW one yet.

I have used the BMW Wales site three times [six days] they are excellent tutors and I enjoyed it every time,Great if you plan on using a large bike off road.Due to being unable to book this late there Ive made a booking for the Honda AT Place in South Wales for October so I will see how that goes.

No idea about the BMW one but I've done days with Geraint Jones on Yamahas and Mick Extance on Kawasakis and both were good though overtaking Mick may lead to him kicking your front wheel and putting you into the scenery. Not at a fast spot but he did it to a friend of mine all the same :D

Slightly more on topic, if I was going to be riding a BMW off road after the course I'd do one on a BMW rather than a lighter enduros bike which is a different animal.

If, you're take a gs off road do the bmw course. Much less worry bending someone else's bike.

If it is just off road skills; all the manufacturers pretty well run one now, and will all be to a similarish standard.

Have a hard think about what you want to get out of your day's training and why, be honest about your abilities and fitness level. I have seen far to many waste their time and money on the unachievable.

I would suggest sticking to one closest to home for your first try, I can recommend, in no order or preference, ktm, bmw, motoscotland and mick extance.

Good luck and enjoy yourself, it's supposed to be fun !

I've done the BMW off road skills level 1 and 2 courses down in South Wales. Can't praise them high enough, especially level 1 if you need confidence on a big bike. The skills and confidence really improve road skills as well and make slow speed control seem far less daunting on a bike bike.

Price for next year has gone up slightly to £519 but well worth it for two days tuition and a bike loan

Skygod on here. He runs them. I did one a year or two ago now and he got me to go off road, my confidence was not great having never really done any off road riding ( a camping field was daunting to me at that time). Far more affordable - £519, we aren't all stock brokers. I can't ever envisage earning enough money to have that kind of spare money.

I used youtube to watch some clips to see what each provider was about. ORS was the way forward for me and I completed Level 1 late last year. Remember ORS training is obviously all about big adventure bikes, learning, practicing & confirming methods relating to their size & weight. Its not just about being in control when riding a straight line off road, but also & more importantly, when you tip over or drop it on a hill and how you then go about getting yourself away again. The pace of the 2 days for me was spot on, each day is broken down into skill/learning sections which build your confidence & ability as you progress to more technical parts of the training.

Regarding the cost, the slow riding skills,methods & confidence you will gain could easily save you that back in the costs of fixing your own bike because you've binned through not having this knowledge & confidence. The beauty here is you can push yourself without worrying about the bike, with means your relaxed and absorb the methods/training whilst also putting big smiles on faces.

For me the whole package is worth the money, I would def go back for L2 and more.

:beerjug:Stevie

The larger schools seem to be a similar price per day for bike hire and tuition [£200-250/day] BMW,Honda,Yamaha so which ever meets your needs make wise is a good investment for a couple of days tuition of around six hours on the bike per day, lunch and evening diner on the first day

Done the Yamaha day and the Mick Exstance day as well.

Found the Yamaha one was more 'get on that bike and follow us, where the Mick Exatance one was smaller group and actually taught you how to get over certain terrain.

Much preferred the Mick Exstance one.

If you've never ridden off road, don't underestimate just how physically demanding it is. It's mentally exhausting too. I did an Ady Smith day last year and by 3 O'clock I'd had it. Recommended though.

(sweet lamb dont rent)

Yes they do.....http://www.adventurerallybike.co.uk/bike-hire-packages/

However at £400 for a weekend I probably go to the ORS so you can have the benefit of riding a GS which is obviously a radically different animal to the bikes SL hire.

Are you sure you really want to take your GS offroad though....the inevitable crunch when you drop it can be mighty painful to hear.....

If you've never ridden off road, don't underestimate just how physically demanding it is. It's mentally exhausting too. I did an Ady Smith day last year and by 3 O'clock I'd had it. Recommended though.

Good point. It is also not a good idea to ride down and have to get back on your own bike to ride home after the course. DAMHIKT.
The BMW course is great but for old farts. I sent my 18 year old daughter to these people as they don't have an over 24 rule! http://adventureridingacademy.com/courses/. It Eastern Realm so maybe no good for you.

Good point. It is also not a good idea to ride down and have to get back on your own bike to ride home after the course. DAMHIKT.
The BMW course is great but for old farts. I sent my 18 year old daughter to these people as they don't have an over 24 rule! http://adventureridingacademy.com/courses/. It Eastern Realm so maybe no good for you.

utter bollocks.the old fart bit anyway and the riding your bike there and bike bit.You will have a great time and learn loads unless your a seasoned pro like my quoted friend.I had a weekend down there a couple of years ago and stayed at Simon Paveys b and b.They have secure parking for your bike on site,they hire out riding kit should you need it.

Back
Top Bottom