AUX Power to the top box

Flaming T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fitted power to the top box at the weekend. I now have 4USB outlets that can be used to power anything whilst on the go. Handy for charging camera batteries etc when on tour.
cc1d1baf22d87115c5553d2c9a685f09.jpg
ff011149ee5e501515ee554095a76839.jpg
edf69303272000df820580e87a9918fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that, do the USB port electrics have a cover?

No... although there are alternatives on fleabay that do. I just made up a simple box to keep it in with a hole for the ports and wire.

Hi, I would keep an eye on the state of charge of bike battery as most USB devices use power even when not in use unless you've gone through a switch.

Hi, I would keep an eye on the state of charge of bike battery as most USB devices use power even when not in use unless you've gone through a switch.

Good point well made. The USB device is not plugged in unless I am actually using it whilst on the bike. I did consider a switch but decided against it. :beerjug:

Given the damage that happens to things in my top box when riding, I'd hesitate to put anything of value in mine. :blast

Pretty nice I am thinking of one into the vario top box, however, only one question, what did you use to seal the hole in the panniers.

I drilled a hole to the exact size for the connector to go through and used a simple rubber cap on the outside to make it waterproof. With the orientation pointing down, gravity takes care of the rain but placed where it is, there is a lot of natural protection. Photo showing the connector and rubber cap. :beerjug:

Given the damage that happens to things in my top box when riding, I'd hesitate to put anything of value in mine. :blast

The USB device is protected by a very expensive Apple product....

15d83f8102636c16c9cbdd47d96459cf.jpg

I have a permanently live USB on mine and not had a problem with too much power drain.
I left it 15 days once and she still started up fine.

Just to add... I do have the EZcan system on the bike. I may use one of the leads and wire directly. That way I won't have any issue with battery drain if I forgot to unplug something in the box.

Great news on the load draining the battery guys, I fitted a switched USB to mine but I also fitted a Hella type socket permanently live outlet near my left knee, not perfect location but it's had some use when travelling.

So, after some thought and pondering I decided to wire in the USB port to the EZcan. Now it powers down after 10 seconds from the ignition being switched off. On a side note, it looks a bit neater and if I do disconnect the cable from the top box it can tuck in under the seat.

So, after some thought and pondering I decided to wire in the USB port to the EZcan. Now it powers down after 10 seconds from the ignition being switched off. On a side note, it looks a bit neater and if I do disconnect the cable from the top box it can tuck in under the seat.

I'm jealous of your eZcan.. I'll end up with one eventually but undecided on the Denali option or eZcan

I'm jealous of your eZcan.. I'll end up with one eventually but undecided on the Denali option or eZcan

The Denali option looks good as well... especially if you already have the Denali lights. Price wise, once you have paid VAT and import duty, they look to be about the same. Either way, well worth the expense IMHO.

Definitely the way to do it but no use to me unfortunately.
I only use mine for charging my headset when we stop places for a wander around so the socket needs to stay live.
I did think about putting a switch on it but I would only forget to switch it off.

Got me thinking now though. I wonder if I can add a micro switch that turns on the socket when I put a plug in to it.

Back
Top Bottom