Schuberth C4 - First Impressions..

Slowcoach

Reaction score
Here is a copy of an e-mail I have just sent to MotoLegends. Thinking of upgrading your C3 Pro..? Try before you buy.

I rode for a few hours over the weekend and have grown to really dislike the C4.

The visor doesn’t mist up any more but the sun visor does! The front vent hardly lets any air in.

I ordered the same size as my old C3 Pro and the C4 helmet doesn’t fit my head half as well. The C3 Pro fits like a glove, the C4 is very uncomfortable on a long ride, almost painful after about an hour of riding. After about 1 hour I had to stop and let my head recover before riding any further!

To be honest the C4 is a great disappointment and a bad choice on my part. An expensive mistake..

I am telling you this so that you can advise other customers of the problems, especially, if like me they think this is supposed to be an upgrade from the C3 Pro; as far as I’m concerned it isn’t. I don’t know how to tell Schuberth directly as their web site has no contact details but, as far as I’m concerned, they have dropped the ball with this one.

For long journeys I will use my C3 Pro, the best helmet I’ve ever owned in 30+ years of motorcycling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure some people will get on fine with this helmet but, for me, it is no where near as good as my old C3 Pro.

If this post stops people from making the same expensive mistake I have made it will have done its job!

Pip Pip...

Likewise. My 5 year old C3 Pro got replaced by a shiny new E1 which is based on C3 range. I waited very long time for a C4 to come out and was fortunate enough to have a chance to ride whiles wearing one before parting with a large sum of money. Just like you I was very disappointed and hyped up anticipation of it being fantastic had become a very much deflated balloon. Can't fault my E1 albeit I'd like to see a nose guard/spoiler to deflect warm air from nose exhaust condensing on pillock in cooler/damp conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motolegends claim to be pretty good on returns - let's hope they live up to it and refund your money!

Motolegends!!! - so far they have offered me a replacement pinlock! I have now e-mailed Schuberth directly. Let's see if either do anything. I'm not optimistic but you never know...

Motolegends are utter arseholes!
Had an "advised sale" from them of my Rukka kit.
The latest Navigatorr.
Explicitly told in store by their "factory trained advisor " that the C1 trouser was required.
Despite me having a 32" inside leg.
Despite me stating that they were for use on the GS.
So wore them for the first time on a Sunday at which point I was piss wet through.
Not because they leaked but because the leg length meant that they rose up so high they allowed water to literally run into my A'star road boots.
I could post the reply I got from "Cristopher" the director - seriously it's like one of those hilarious Amazon reviews except the facts were wildly wrong.
Amongst many things He stated it was because I'd bought a road suit and was wearing off-road boots with buckles, stated that they could not resell them as I'd worn them and they got wet and accumulated road dirt, suggested I should sell them on eBay as I got them on a price match (their choice to match FC-Moto on a 20%) and much more and that they'd defend their decision and see me in court.
Pointed him to his extensive cctv with sound and that I'd taken my road boots in with me and obviously could be clearly seen putting them on the desk after waking in...... if perhaps he cared to check that..... and what is "highly experienced salesman" had actually discussed with me... (didn't mention having an eidetic memory as that would have pissed him off even more...)

Strangely enough I was asked to pop on and exchange them but that he had instructed his staff to have no further dealings with me and that I would not be allowed to make any further purchases
From them ever.

Nice way to treat a customer that at that point had spent over £4K with them in 18mths

When the C4 came out it was pointed out that it is not a replacement for the C3 PRO (ie a sports/touring helmet) it is instead designed as a flip front sports helmet.......hence its design to make it more comfortable on bikes with low bars.

It is the reason why I decided not to bother and keep my C3 Pro, if I want something different I will get an E1 and run it sans visor but with a C3 PRO visor

Interesting advice..

When the C4 came out it was pointed out that it is not a replacement for the C3 PRO (ie a sports/touring helmet) it is instead designed as a flip front sports helmet.......hence its design to make it more comfortable on bikes with low bars.

It is the reason why I decided not to bother and keep my C3 Pro, if I want something different I will get an E1 and run it sans visor but with a C3 PRO visor

Thanks for this "more grist to the mill" so the C4 is a flip front helmet with the built in comms, speakers, mic and antenna for sports riders?

Funny that the advice from the dealer I spoke to was that the C4 the upgrade of the C3 Pro...!?! Another lesson - dealers haven't got a clue..rely on your mates and UKGSER..!

Here is a copy of an e-mail I have just sent to MotoLegends. Thinking of upgrading your C3 Pro..? Try before you buy.

I rode for a few hours over the weekend and have grown to really dislike the C4.

The visor doesn’t mist up any more but the sun visor does! The front vent hardly lets any air in.

I ordered the same size as my old C3 Pro and the C4 helmet doesn’t fit my head half as well. The C3 Pro fits like a glove, the C4 is very uncomfortable on a long ride, almost painful after about an hour of riding. After about 1 hour I had to stop and let my head recover before riding any further!

To be honest the C4 is a great disappointment and a bad choice on my part. An expensive mistake..

I am telling you this so that you can advise other customers of the problems, especially, if like me they think this is supposed to be an upgrade from the C3 Pro; as far as I’m concerned it isn’t. I don’t know how to tell Schuberth directly as their web site has no contact details but, as far as I’m concerned, they have dropped the ball with this one.

For long journeys I will use my C3 Pro, the best helmet I’ve ever owned in 30+ years of motorcycling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure some people will get on fine with this helmet but, for me, it is no where near as good as my old C3 Pro.

If this post stops people from making the same expensive mistake I have made it will have done its job!

Pip Pip...

Doesn't have to be an expensive mistake-- you can still get your money back. I got my money back after a c3 pro didn't live up to the hype and claims made by the manufacturer and supplier. Don't accept the bollocks they give you about not being able to resell it-- tough shit on their part of the goods aren't up to scratch. The could cover the trade price by selling it second hand on ebay.
I got mine through eBay, sorry can't remember the supplier, but after numerous messages back and forth to some guy with a German name eBay stepped in and refunded my money and then, I assume, chased him for the money.

Has anyone experience of Shoe Neotec? Specifically dealers offering bespoke fitting at point of sale, I know they can supply different liner inserts etc. Spending £500 + and hoping for a good fit just doesn't make sense.

Has anyone experience of Shoe Neotec? Specifically dealers offering bespoke fitting at point of sale, I know they can supply different liner inserts etc. Spending £500 + and hoping for a good fit just doesn't make sense.

I tried the Shoei Neotec, too noisy and too wet. I changed to an E1

Schuberth C4 complaints - they have replied.. sort of.

After kicking off on Schuberths Facebook page I finally got a reply to my e-mails to them.

This is what they said..

Poor fitting pinlock? Re-fit it yourself here are the instructions.

Sunvisor misting up? We don't put anti fog sun visors in our helmets anymore.

Poor fit? Stick some foam in the top of the helmet and wear it higher on your head.

FFS this is a brand new top of the range £550 helmet we are talking about not a second hand £50 job off eBay!

Anyone interested in a Gloss White nearly new XL C4 going cheap?

I purchased a C4 pulse last week for a trip to Germany, on route to the ferry exceeding any speed over 45 mph meant I could not hear my mate via the comms, apparently the new comms has advanced noise reduction but this option does work when connected via the Bluetooth, What the fook is its purpose than ! My mate said I sound muffled obviously it's been reported the mic is placed in the brow and as such is not the best place.

After a couple days the pinlock leaked this was easily rectified by pushing the pins out and rotating and all was good again, however on the motorway jaunt I had a constant whistle in my left ear ! it seems the sliding mechanism for the drop down visor was allowing air to pass through the gap the slider sits in, I had to gaffer tape the mechanism to find the culprit.

The chin vent silver trim falls off and is really poorly secured and noted on Google and after a couple of days, 3 to be exact the chin vent would not lock closed and I had to gaffer tape it closed.

After some disc I paid £710 for lid and comms and has been the worst purchase to date, it's fooking shite .

Schuberth rep said its a warranty issue and they need to send helmet to schuberth, the retailer said they would give a full refund on the lid but not the comms, what fooking good is the comms without the lid, anyways after a lengthy conversation a full refund has been offered.

Gaffer tape to stop the air whistle in left ear, entering via the slider mechanism gap.
6f1fb3824ca9d8acb56a3dcd1a34b54b.jpg

Vent in the open position, will not lock shut
fea10b74fb096bfe16d88ab4c17ca83a.jpg

Vent trim poorly secured.
2ed8408e1605993f9edbb5727e8bddcc.jpg

Vent trim falls off.
484ffd2bd963bff1591c3ce0c230a654.jpg

I'll stick with my C3 pro.

It’s shit !!!
My first visor had a crap pinlock so Pete from Just Helmets kindly replaced it.
The second visor pinlock is fine BUT the visor leaks and lets water run down the inside when raining.
I can’t see how as the seal seems good and there is a rubber strip that should stop water ingress.
I’ve removed the visor and re-fitted but still leaks.
On top of that,my SC1 comms unit is intermittent-some days it’s absolutely fine and other days it switches off by itself and needs rebooting,and a few times I had to remove the battery and re-insert to get it to work again.

I’m going to return it to Pete as it’s not fit for purpose.

Schuberth couldn't give a XXXX once they have your cash..

I agree with everything here about Schuberth.

I ordered another C3 Pro.

The locking mechanism was faulty and the neck roll didn't seat properly. What is going on with Schuberth quality control.

My old C3 Pro is superb compared to the new one!

IMHO - Schuberth are now only trading on their reputation, they are producing expensive rubbish and once they have fleeced you out of you cash, you are on your own!

Not a happy camper!

Thank feck I bought an E1 then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schuberth responses...

First Response

Refit the anti-fog visor insert yourself it must have come loose in transit - (N.B. I have now found out that it is NOT a genuine pinlock but a Schuberth copy that is not very good)

The sun visor mists up because Schuberth do not put an anti-fog coating on them anymore. (They did not respond to my observation that the front vent only lets in air when you open the top vent. But opening the top vent freezes/soaks your head!)

I was advised that I need to wear the helmet higher on my head; so put some self stick 3mm rubber closed cell foam strips on the EPS.

I tried this but..

It was still painful, even though it is an XL designed to fit my 60.5 cm head, and the sun visor still mists up.

So I complained again..

Second response

Talk to your retailer about your problems, your contract is with the retailer not Schuberth

As a gesture of good will we will send you a thiner helmet liner free of charge.

You pays your money and takes your choice as they say. I know there are plenty of people who will have bought C4 helmets and are very happy with them. However,
if anyone out there is still thinking about shelling out their cash on a new helmet please be really certain you can live with it; so make sure you try one out fully before parting with your cash. Some on-line retailers are better than others; so check their returns policy before using mail order.

:confused:

Interesting reading as I was just about to order a C4. Tried one on in my normal size a 61 and it felt to tight, went the next size up a 63, to big. Decided I would probably go for the 61 and hope it would bed in, but at that price having read your review, I am going to have to think again. I really liked the idea of integrated comms but it's no good if it is uncomfortable.
I did try the E1 on while I was in the shop, that felt really comfortable, perhaps that's the way to go, and sort out a suitable comms system. Just a thought, I wonder if Schuberth will bring integrated comms into the E1 eventually?
Thanks for the review, you might have saved me a lot of disappointment and money.

Interesting reading as I was just about to order a C4. Tried one on in my normal size a 61 and it felt to tight, went the next size up a 63, to big. Decided I would probably go for the 61 and hope it would bed in, but at that price having read your review, I am going to have to think again. I really liked the idea of integrated comms but it's no good if it is uncomfortable.
I did try the E1 on while I was in the shop, that felt really comfortable, perhaps that's the way to go, and sort out a suitable comms system. Just a thought, I wonder if Schuberth will bring integrated comms into the E1 eventually?
Thanks for the review, you might have saved me a lot of disappointment and money.

Don't bother.The C4 is shite.

Back
Top Bottom