Gael Warnings in West Africa.

Meanwhile back in Benin City Nigeria I had a choice of routes to Calabar which was my ambitious destination (this is the flashback bit where I bring you up to date on the period with no WiFi!).

The roads were nice and muddy after last night rainstorm so they added to the fun of leaving Benin City. But by 0930 I had crossed the Niger heading South, whilst I had last crossed it going north in a tiny ferry at Djenne in Mali, at its inland delta... Amazing river and huge now.

Another river picture as the massive Niger. bRidge was not for stopping on!

My helpful Nigerian contact (and I mean that genuinely) had suggested a route south.via Sapele and Warri and on to Port Harcourt through the river state.

However my reading generally had suggested this might not be optimal for a European who are reportedly called 'wjite gold' for their ransom potential. Now this may be aimed at oil workers but I wasn’t about to take that chance.

So instead I went a more northern route which ended up being a lot more complicated than the Michelin map of West Africa would lead you to expect. But that's part of the charm of trips like this, I remind myself later in the day.

And at one point the big main road on the map turns I to a small sandy road and I am puzzled and hungry and anxious. So I stop and buy some grilled plantains which of course come with a spicy sauce.

The lass of 15 who sells me this tells me I am in the right road so to proceed'but you must ask directions at every junction!' she says bossily, 'or else you will end up back at Aba!'

And she was right. Fortunately some young guys in a car were passing and took it upon themselves to guide me for 50 kms (!) through weird country roads, which alternated between semi abandoned dual carriageway and sandtraps, until the day was clear. Then we shook hands and they wished me a safe journey.

When I finally made it Into Calabar it had been a 450km+ day which is tiring in Africa so I was glad to get a bed and a shower if not Wifi.

This sort of recaps my ride across Nigeria although my actual track was a lot more wiggly!
497a8389c182586eae5a37d178fdfe75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if that hasn't confused you, back to yesterday when I set off from Calabar heading North to the border point with. Cameroon.

Actually there was another seemingly more direct route at Ekang which I was keen to do until I learnt there was a river with no bridge just pirogues! Glad I found that out early!

The ride was uneventful (apart from a taxi driver doing a Uturn in front of me).

I was fretting a bit about the absence of a carnet de passage and the lesson here is that it's not the things you worry about that will get you!

So I got to Ikom and filled up with. Heap Nigerian fuel before heading east to Mfoum, where a bridge over the river forms the.border.

But I am flagged down by Nigerian police who say: 'The bOrder is closed and there are troubles...Our Nigeria army has gone to sort them out!'

This was not promising but with their agreement I went on to Mfoum to learn more.

When I got there everyone was waiting around. I was invited to sit in the shade with some police and we chatted.
66464a4c42dfdcb6ca94fd23e37b7873.jpg

They suggested I go back to Ikom and find a hotel and come Back tomorrow. I decided to sit with them for a couple of hours and see what transpired. One police lady was suggesting I should give her a kiss *♀️when, fortunately, the word came at about 1.30 that the border had reopened!

You can imagine the chaos of all the morning's pent up traffic on both sides of the bridge...And add to that the bridge was only one vehicle wide!

Layer on that the Nigerian love of formalities even to LEAVE the country, intense humidity and on the Cameroon side armoured cars and twitchy soldiers and you can understand the joy of the situation.

But somehow I seemed to get great treatment and before too long I was climbing into the Cameroon side to see the Chef de Douane when - o frabjous day! - I heard a call and saw two foreign bikers
93285ea8cedcca03c5787090376d29b1.jpg

These two were the first bikers I had met since a slovenian in October in Eastern Senegal! They were coming south to north and had grouped up together as they 'did not want to do Nigeria alone'. Made me feel quite rufty tufty for a moment☘️

Having said that one had only been able to get a 48 hour transit visa which is completely mad! I wished them well and counselled caution.

They were both on KLR660 singles or something similar, and. Better suited to the condo further south than my GS. One said the Ganon to Congo road was unbelievable in the size of its water filled potholes.

This is the river that would a kiboshed my other route as the GS is not pirogue friendly!
a3e3a9f69980bc9a00bc6bb15f1a1a2b.jpg

Beards are clearly in this year on the trail
a1f833f3be605540a0c211b2da4fa612.jpg

AndI trump them both on years and beard I reckon!

So I went to see the Chef who predictably wanted a carnet but when I explained how old my Moto was and showed him the expert valuation by Steptoe of this parish he dug into his pile of forms (for 20 minutes!!) and produced a passavant form which he completed valid for 30 days and gave me without charge.

Rather galling for my Nigerian contact who on his new GS along with his mates got turned back for not having a carnet and couldn't get into Cameroon!

Just goes to show that cheap and simple is often the best way to go!

Once I was admitted I had a fabulous ride on new tarmac roads through impressive rainfou
7ebe1e4ef5c8b6d3a4ff5f7233877ad9.jpg

There were some well armed and slow miliuand police checkpoints but I had the road to myself to enjoy...A real contrast to Nigeria where you are surrounded by lunatics!

At Mamfe I found a tatty hotel for the night which although by the water had Very little running water
The views were stunning and peaceful
843b5748810b2e209d8c73ad201c03cd.jpg

This caretaker and his granddaughter base me farewell after breakfast
34bdfafd9a56740f425a20d7d91be1e2.jpg

Then today I probably had the best mornings of riding this trip. Fabulous winding roads with little traffic in the cool hills amidst beautiful rainforest
76ff2c344b5fd3b0b6fb9cebe268669d.jpg

More fabulous views...hard to convey the immensity of it all
05bcce5e581e750e5caf2cae2556e552.jpg

Building with local bricks
7e801842a32e3da278d0d5d321afeb47.jpg
After a delightful morning andwith the help of a local moto taxi I locate Zwinkels Guesthouse which I have all to myself
f16002b37c9245edd723d8cd3483497c.jpg

along with the perfect balcony on which to update this blog
d32a32a2fb71dbfc55f96c4af7263200.jpg

What an adventure! I'm very envious.
Sounds like Nigeria has been a relatively positive experience

Yes Nigeria was very friendly and of course intense....Just sorry I didn't spend longer.

Off towards Yaounde today - apparently a very bad first 80 kms and then it gets better.

Then it is decision time for this trip!

A beautiful morning
00c11c3ec93f37a151467e68a6284900.jpg

So today was a little different. I wonder if you can spot why?
3213505581e16c1c7690a6d547270e70.jpg

The day had started with 30 Kms of very dusty piste as you may see from the colour of my jacket!
fb11755d967efc91bfa9e91cf183e6b5.jpg

But the second half of the day was spent with a wet weather jacket and trousers over my suit - fortunately it was cool so I didn’t do a Vesta (younger readers may need to ask a grown up what this refers to)

And about 4.30 I made it to Yaoundé where the bike as ever was the source of much interest
b26f4385daf6c90a12465683a2e1f0bc.jpg

The ride was the third wonderful day with windy roads through magnitude rain forest. It is impossible to convey the depth and beauty with the few photos I have, but it was so restful to travel in such beautiful surroundings. It added to the emotion of what may be the last day of this ride if I decide to stop here in Yaoundé.

Threatening clouds which duly became rain on several occasions so I dived into any roadside shelter

61bebcc839d8b0e0a53104f1dc68547a.jpg

Shelter from the storm

f9b6efdaaf3fdb6ec84db1f2b1f44a29.jpg

So today was a little different. I wonder if you can spot why?
3213505581e16c1c7690a6d547270e70.jpg

The day had started with 30 Kms of very dusty piste as you may see from the colour of my jacket!
fb11755d967efc91bfa9e91cf183e6b5.jpg

But the second half of the day was spent with a wet weather jacket and trousers over my suit - fortunately it was cool so I didn’t do a Vesta (younger readers may need to ask a grown up what this refers to)

And about 4.30 I made it to Yaoundé where the bike as ever was the source of much interest
b26f4385daf6c90a12465683a2e1f0bc.jpg

The ride was the third wonderful day with windy roads through magnitude rain forest. It is impossible to convey the depth and beauty with the few photos I have, but it was so restful to travel in such beautiful surroundings. It added to the emotion of what may be the last day of this ride if I decide to stop here in Yaoundé.

Threatening clouds which duly became rain on several occasions so I dived into any roadside shelter

61bebcc839d8b0e0a53104f1dc68547a.jpg

Shelter from the storm

f9b6efdaaf3fdb6ec84db1f2b1f44a29.jpg

Love it!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What an adventure! I'm very envious.
Sounds like Nigeria has been a relatively positive experience

Simon is having the same good experience in Nigeria that my mate had. When my mate was crossing into Nigeria he was met by a local (sent by the biking community) to help him through the customs etc. He had no bad experiences at all there.

67e582f8fd57609601ff86ef6447f4da.jpg

Met the very helpful and knowledgeable Yves and Marius this morning and admired some of the bikes stored away by other stage travellers.
dc9ed2d0f16f2fe8d17835435b809b60.jpg

May leave the GS here and seek an exchange with a lighter bike if at some point in the future I want to venture further south where the word is the terrain gets a lot more difficult for a big beast like my 1150.

Luke thanks for your help. It’s interesting that the Nigerian biker I was in touch with expected the route to be more difficult and the border more challenging than I actually found it!

One of the joys of Africa for me is the people I meet (I was going to say 'West Africa' but Jean Vital - last photo- correctly reminded me I am now in Central Africa!). And people DO want to meet if only because there are very few tourists indeed and also they are intrigued by the moto and especially the shaft drive (cards, in French, which is the subject of many roadside discussions)

So here is today's cast:

At the National Museum
af7f68dd612656fe72fa27feeca3ee16.jpg

I complimented this lady on her lovely dress and she was happy for me to take a photo, also at the museum
0ef5b1735d0f57fc96c44179bd9832c4.jpg

The traffic through Yaoundé is amazingly bad- the city is built on a series of hills and is pretty chaotic...Even on a Moto it's hard work.

After the museum I rode homeward and had a very late lunch. This stonemason, Jean Vital, joined me and we chatted about Cameroon.

0b0375b9c9fce7b864bb8ab2533c22b9.jpg

Moto taxis are used a kot here and this splendid example even had onboard music (via a taped on radio I think)
4ffb8fd93165041f8187baf917c16fe7.jpg

7ea3aa763e0a7e22039f55a2bdbea4ba.jpg

The magnificent national museum (former presidential palace until I suspect the incumbent traded up!)
9eaa10b0337b9f5e1874b6b7c229fdff.jpg

The charming receptionist here, Yvette, has asked if she can have a ride on the back if the moto before I leave....And in exchange has invited me to her church for a 2 hour service on Sunday!

To a committed atheist like me that's a pretty compelling reason to say 'No' but I did come to Africa to experience the life so...Watch this space!

No doubt to Rachael's disappointment, I decided to duck church today!

Yesterday I ride south from Yaounde to visit the Mefou national park which is one of the top rated places to visit. It's a sanctuary for rescued primates, ranging from gorillas down.

It was a tricky 2 hours south as Saturday morning is obviously market day so every street and Village was jammed with taxis and mototaxis diving in and out.

But I got there to find this:
bf71108bd4197eead66f1fdaa8f6faa1.jpg

One of the residents had escaped so the place was locked down and a visit impossible

But there was time to chat to the local mototaxi lads
d703843f884c14b4bd01a968196bcd25.jpg

Then a rather easier ride home, with the consolation of forest views
2c9d3c87716155c37114191434ade1f9.jpg

I set up my little cooking area in the hotel garage and finish off some of the provisions I have brought on this voyage

3d2731fae880287877cb88477bfb5896.jpg

Today was chili con carne with spelt followed by proper coffee. The hotel kitchen staff are leaving as I 'cook' and are all very impressed by the Jetboil.

The day ends with a fine sunset over one of the many hills Yaounde is draped over
a18843113715b5c0b18e329af937c1ab.jpg

And I am tempted by a beer at a local shebeen and a couple of barbecue beef brochettes
0c9a072da4e716d5b2da935a248d4214.jpg

983eb105d48a15c4781cb8a4f8a0e61d.jpg

As I sip my beer vendors wander by, all balancing their wares on their heads
96c5865ed7adf5b2f302563810a9a468.jpg

I have been thinking hard over the past couple of days.

I have concluded that due to the early rains, the worn out tkc rear tyre on the bike, and the availability of a good place to leave the bike, (with Yves), Yaoundé is the place to break my journey again.

So I have booked a flight back to the Arctic wastes of the UK for next week, with a 2 day stopover in Addis Ababa.

I gather the road and conditions get a little more challenging in Gabon and even more so in the Congo’s. So I have discussed with Yves whether his team can sell the GS for me and help me source a smaller lighter bike in case I decide to resume the ride later in the year.

So watch this space!

One of these would be great! Sadly this one belongs to my Austrian contact, Thomas.

And to be candid a 250 would be even better - when it comes to picking up a bike on muddy roads the further away from an 2259 GS the better, at least for this elderly traveller
af9ce17cae641c5c872013b0d8e2cbf6.jpg

Or sell the bike on here, as so many people have seen it and you have told of its problems/fix,s,

Then they can fly down and ride it home...to freezing Uk...
Mike..

Back
Top Bottom