Weaponised GSA

Seriously?

There's some properly paranoid people on here these days.

My tactics are chosen based on the level of threat these days. I have avoided being bike jacked twice in the last 18 months that I know of and on one of those occasions was actually chased until I drew up alongside plod and stopped. I will continue with my paranoia and allow others to keep their heads in the sand. Live and let live and all that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My tactics are chosen based on the level of threat these days. I have avoided being bike jacked twice in the last 18 months that I know of and on one of those occasions was actually chased until I drew up alongside plod and stopped. I will continue with my paranoia and allow others to keep their heads in the sand. Live and let live and all that.

I've clearly not been paying enough attention in London - must be lucky I guess......??

Best review my tactics....

Sensible and good man.

Liked and Subscribed haha

Top man, in my own experience in London its a reality. I know of four attempts on friends bikes in the last couple of years. Each time in olving one or two scooters which happen to be missing their number plates.

1) So tactical observation.

In peoples experience, what are the danger signs? pinch points? typical M.O.

Ok

This is a simple , effective self defence item that is legal , as we can all think of why we have it with us. Flip top Jiff lemon! All My family carry one in the dashboard near the demister pad etc. if you feel threatened fits into palm of hand when walking or wherever its handy. Great for making lemon tea , or taking it home for making pancakes etc. Jet will squirt 15ft and ....well ...ever had a splash of lemon in your eye. Incredibly effective and will give you time to escape and most assailants will run unable to see properly. If you , of course had the presence of mind to grab it and use it. "Just quick thinking officer. Lucky it was handy" I can't say when or where or how but suffice to say it works.

Your choice , my Wife , Daughters and other family are always making pancakes and I love lemon tea wherever I go , black tea with a squirt of the lemon I carry for that purpose.

He is wrong in some respects.

There are certain weapons outlawed, firearms (CS spray is in the category).

All other things depends on its intended use. So a baseball bat in the car is a no no, unless a ball and glove is there as well ;)

Same as my extendable torch, have it in a place where a torch would be, and carry it like a torch, no issues, hide it like a baton and there would be some hard questions to answer.

The police are not stupid, you are unlikely as a normal member of society to get locked up, if you have a reasonable excuse for having such an item. If you are a little twat with previous for burglary, then its probable you are up to no good.

So screw drivers on a bike, no problems, aerosols, well sweaty work riding.

So they 'maybe' doesnt mean they will be.

I think your comment should read "you are unlikely to be prosecuted" as I'd think that you would be arrested on suspicion of assault/offensive weapon etc and the police would let the CPS or a more senior officer make the decision once back at the police station. The end result is major inconvenience to the have-a-go-hero

On a practical note, I was stationary at roundabout waiting for a gap in the traffic when some west end of Newcastle flat faced mouth breathers ran up and simply pushed me. My GSA over balanced before I could stop it and I was unable to do anything other than lower it to the ground. What their intentions were isn't too clear (although I'll bet nicking the bike featured in their tiny minds). They were deterred by my make who circled the roundabout and charged over the footpath toward them.

My point is that despite all the bluster about defending yourself or fighting them off, it happens so quickly that you're at a great disadvantage.

I've just been catching up on this thread and my sides hurt from laughing - more, please...:yelrotflm:beerjug:

It is funny that UK Law has left us in a position of self sabotage and squirting lemon juice in an attempt to stop bike theft, or admit defeat and hand over your £17,000 property without resistance.

It is funny that even with Insurance 'No Claims Protection' it still won't protect you from sharp Insurance Premium increases or denial of Insurance all together, if you make a claim regardless of fault. A No Claims Bonus Reset, may actually put you out of motorcycling altogether financially.

It is funny how thieves are so confident now of their immunity they can steal in broad daylight, film the event and post it on public social media to taunt the owners and Police.

It is funny how a UK 'Dads Army', with Lemon Squeezers and spatulas are trying to fight machetes and acid attacks.

But thats our lot.

Without turning completely rogue what would you suggest?

The Police recommendation is do nothing. Call them, and they do as best they can, which under-resourced as they are is next to nothing (except the one plain clothed detective who literally chased bike thieves to a canal calling for backup, to save my mates stolen GS last weekend - Credit to him as he was a biker himself).

Makes me fucking sick to be honest we can't protect our stuff. Is it really all supposed to be just disposable. UK Law leaves our hands tied and left with the Insurance Companies who don't want to pay out, and do so reluctantly as a last resort.

I think your comment should read "you are unlikely to be prosecuted" as I'd think that you would be arrested on suspicion of assault/offensive weapon etc and the police would let the CPS or a more senior officer make the decision once back at the police station. The end result is major inconvenience to the have-a-go-hero

On a practical note, I was stationary at roundabout waiting for a gap in the traffic when some west end of Newcastle flat faced mouth breathers ran up and simply pushed me. My GSA over balanced before I could stop it and I was unable to do anything other than lower it to the ground. What their intentions were isn't too clear (although I'll bet nicking the bike featured in their tiny minds). They were deterred by my make who circled the roundabout and charged over the footpath toward them.

My point is that despite all the bluster about defending yourself or fighting them off, it happens so quickly that you're at a great disadvantage.
You wouldn't be arrested, there is a necessity test, you would have to have a chat, but not locked up.

Things do happen quickly that's why vigilance is the key, be prepared.

...they are brazen and don't give up easily. https://youtu.be/HuTaxFXuZzk

but it's not much different from every day biking, what keeps you safe is observation, observation and observation

Fucking Cowards see how they run.

You've got to immobilise them before they regroup and don't let them single out one guy.

Unbelievable how they just turn up and choose what bike they'd like and wheel it out. OMG..

It is funny that UK Law has left us in a position of self sabotage and squirting lemon juice in an attempt to stop bike theft, or admit defeat and hand over your £17,000 property without resistance.

It is funny that even with Insurance 'No Claims Protection' it still won't protect you from sharp Insurance Premium increases or denial of Insurance all together, if you make a claim regardless of fault. A No Claims Bonus Reset, may actually put you out of motorcycling altogether financially.

It is funny how thieves are so confident now of their immunity they can steal in broad daylight, film the event and post it on public social media to taunt the owners and Police.

It is funny how a UK 'Dads Army', with Lemon Squeezers and spatulas are trying to fight machetes and acid attacks.

But thats our lot.

Without turning completely rogue what would you suggest?

The Police recommendation is do nothing. Call them, and they do as best they can, which under-resourced as they are is next to nothing (except the one plain clothed detective who literally chased bike thieves to a canal calling for backup, to save my mates stolen GS last weekend - Credit to him as he was a biker himself).

Makes me fucking sick to be honest we can't protect our stuff. Is it really all supposed to be just disposable. UK Law leaves our hands tied and left with the Insurance Companies who don't want to pay out, and do so reluctantly as a last resort.

If someone wants my bike enough that I have to risk my life or my eyesight to try to protect it, they can have it - that's why I have insurance. If you end up getting maimed protecting a piece of metal and plastic that you can replace with an insurance cheque, then you're a bloody fool. I would never let my possessions own me like that.

But I'm not your mother - keep on with your paranoid ravings - they are brilliantly entertaining and you've hooked a few other keyboard warriors in passing...:p

Some folks have sentimental attachments to their bikes that an insurance cheque will never cover

In my case my 1200GS was left to me by my friend who passed away 5 years ago

Personally I will do my best to retain ownership of that bike but draw the line at going up against knives and more than say two folks, But I'll do what I can to make it awkward for the cnuts and if I get a chance to drop one with some of the stuff I have learned over the years I will. Even better to drop Gertie on one and let her extract her own penalty!

So basically Mike as Individuals its up to us! Would I get "Tooled up"?? NO! because at that stage it becomes premeditated

Big chain and padlock around me? Yes, I would use it if needed but I have a big powerful and nimble bike and it would be the absolute last resort!

Observation of what is going on around you is key, IF you see a two up scooter with two young folks and inappropriate riding gear moving through traffic towards you?

Just keep an Eye and assess to see if they are targeting you and working hard to get to where you are? If they are? Make some turns and pick up the pace and go!

Like someone said above "Observation is the key" Oh and on a motorcycle paying attention to the road while Observing what's around you is probably a really good idea!

If someone wants my bike enough that I have to risk my life or my eyesight to try to protect it, they can have it - that's why I have insurance. If you end up getting maimed protecting a piece of metal and plastic that you can replace with an insurance cheque, then you're a bloody fool. I would never let my possessions own me like that.

But I'm not your mother - keep on with your paranoid ravings - they are brilliantly entertaining and you've hooked a few other keyboard warriors in passing...:p

I think thats a fair comment.

So the plan is to hand over your keys and let them ride away with your bike.

A) Then claim on Insurance for a new one.

B) Then hand over your keys and let them ride away with your bike.

Repeat A & B

How many times would you accept that playout with you and your mates before you decided to change your plan?

Never? Once? Three times?

Or will it never happen to you?

Up until now motorcycle theft has been a nuisance, but now it's becoming a high value income earner and high profile. New bikes are very expensive and desirable. Scrotes in London are at epidemic stage, the same story is spreading around major cities across the country. So you suggest nothing should be done about it. Just claim on Insurance and be happy? It's people just like you that the thieves are treating as fools. They are laughing at you every day publicly while they take what they want.... and you are content with that.

But then again, it'll never happen to you. So keep your head in the sand where its safe.

I don't understand what you want people to do? :nenau

I don't understand what you want people to do? :nenau

Talk about it, be aware. Don't stick your head in the sand and ignore what's going on right now.

Come up with idea's as to how we can improve the situation should anything happen to us.

Thing is Rich, someone on here might have some really good ideas, from a Legal background, Enforcement background, or Life Experience that could maybe just give a good piece of advice to help someone prepare for such an event.

When your mates are being directly affected by this scourge, it's too close to home to do nothing.

All my GS mates are now tooling up with Locks, Chains, Alarms, and we're locking up everytime now. Which is definitely an improvement from leaving £100k worth of bikes laying around unlocked outside while we all go to a cafe.

But I have to say, it took an actual attempted theft of one of their bikes before they took this all seriously!!! Even though I'd been warning them with my 'paranoia' for weeks/months.

The answer, maybe Mikes suggestion. Do nothing and rely on Insurance. But that is a sorry state of affairs even if it's the highest IQ Answer. How long do you think Insurance companies get fed up of that strategy and raise premiums or refuse taking the risk? That will directly affect all of us.

Some very clever people on here and I was hoping for more suggestions than 'do nothing'

If one person mentions a single good idea (even if it sounds daft) and saves one bike and the misery of losing it. That's got to be worth it.

Or if it's concluded that the risk of fighting back is too great, and saves one hot headed owner from being hurt. That's got to be worth it.

And all this, isn't a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom