Noise from Left side sounds like a bag of bolts

I was cleaning the valves and I noticed a bit of a lip on the side of the valve,
Is this normal or has it been hammered in over time ?
I was thinking I probably need to replace them.

script>

I went out and got some new valves because after cleaning the old ones I did notice they looked a bit worn with a bit of a lip.

script>

I did manage to feck up the seal even though I used the bmw tool,

script>

take two did a better job

script>

I do think there is a little bit of play in the valves which probably means the brass coloured thing where the stem goes is worn,
I'll have to check this out before I get busy or I'll probably just put it together and if it gives shit get new second hand heads which I saw for 300 euros online.

script>

new clutch against old

script>

I was just about to get busy putting this together when RTFM hit me and reminded me that I have to get new bolts as the old ones can't be reused, feck.

script>

I went out and got some new valves because after cleaning the old ones I did notice they looked a bit worn with a bit of a lip.

script>

I did manage to feck up the seal even though I used the bmw tool,

script>

take two did a better job

script>

I do think there is a little bit of play in the valves which probably means the brass coloured thing where the stem goes is worn,
I'll have to check this out before I get busy or I'll probably just put it together and if it gives shit get new second hand heads which I saw for 300 euros online.

script>

new clutch against old

script>

I was just about to get busy putting this together when RTFM hit me and reminded me that I have to get new bolts as the old ones can't be reused, feck.

script>
the brass coloured things are the valve guides

any engineering place that skims heads etc will be able to change these relatively cheaply

I had an old T4 vw transporter done a few years back

After doing all this work scrimping on valve guides is daft to be honest

If you put the valve all the way in and then lift it to approximately its maximum lift as it would have via the camshaft ??

You should get next to zero lateral movement of the valve head

If you get 2 mm the guides are scrap and some where down the line the Exhaust valve head will break off and bollox that engine

100 Euro (Ish) spent now will save a whole lot more later on

Did you replace both crank seals ? The inner as well as the outer.

After doing all this work scrimping on valve guides is daft to be honest

If you put the valve all the way in and then lift it to approximately its maximum lift as it would have via the camshaft ??

You should get next to zero lateral movement of the valve head

If you get 2 mm the guides are scrap and some where down the line the Exhaust valve head will break off and bollox that engine

100 Euro (Ish) spent now will save a whole lot more later on

I tried that and from the out four valves one has a bit more of movement compared to the other 3,
I'll check out what they cost and who can do them here in Rotterdam area,
Thanks for the good advice :)

You are putting in a lot of time, money and effort there so there's no point in taking an shortcuts now, good advice above. Just out of interest, how much do BMW want for the tools to fit those front and rear crankshaft seals ?
Back on the road this summer ?

You are putting in a lot of time, money and effort there so there's no point in taking an shortcuts now, good advice above. Just out of interest, how much do BMW want for the tools to fit those front and rear crankshaft seals ?
Back on the road this summer ?

I think it was near 200 euros for the tools

I ordered the second hand heads left and right 300 euros total,
I'll also order seals for the gear box as I'm thinking if these old seals on the engine were fecked that the gear box seals will also be fecked.
And I hope then I can get busy putting it together with out any more delays due to waiting for bits and pieces :)

Got new rings for piston
script>

Got delayed for a couple of weeks because I only ordered two of these rubber rings
script>

We got one head on easy enough
script>

But talk about getting that sinking feeling of these circlips shot into the hole in the side of the engine just as we were about to put it on the thing that holds the piston in place, we were lucky it was still in view and we managed to fish it out with a steady hand and a piece of wire with a bend in the end.
script>

At the second attempt we covered the hole a bit better
script>

Both heads are on, we did slowly spin engine to make sure all went well but did notice a clack sound which turned out to be the tensioner springing tight again which i'm guessing is from not having any oil in system
script>

Hello there lads
A question :)
I got new seals for the gearbox, haven't really checked this out yet but
can the seals for the gear box of my r1150gsa be put in from the outside?
I was reading somewhere probably here that the 1100 has one seal that has to be placed from the inside, ie taking gearbox apart.
I am hoping that it is all from the outside on the r1150gsa.
Thanks

Hello there lads
A question :)
I got new seals for the gearbox, haven't really checked this out yet but
can the seals for the gear box of my r1150gsa be put in from the outside?
I was reading somewhere probably here that the 1100 has one seal that has to be placed from the inside, ie taking gearbox apart.
I am hoping that it is all from the outside on the r1150gsa.
Thanks

Outside on the 1150 box but the rear input shaft seal might be a bit of a pig to pull depending on how long it's been in there.

ah thanks for that info,
i'm sure with a few choice words a screwdriver and a hook i'll get them out,
i hope its not as hard as the oil glass that was not the easiest thing to remove , broke a big screwdriver on the first few go's at getting it out

An update of how its going so far
I have done all the seals and attached the gearbox to engine,
Started working on swingarm and all the bearings were fecked so I replaced them.
That was easy enough using a paint stripper blower and the fridge freezer.
Ran into a slow me down for a while issue,
My axel or the last bit just before the cardan , is worn out it seems and to replace it I have to buy a whole axel and at the very same time my Car broke so I have to fix that first :)
or the missus will moan me to death,
So the bike is again on the go slow for a couple of months,
I will continue putting the rest of the bike back together and do the final drive as last.

Sorry its been so long since last post but at work they have blocked the most sites from working on my computer.
Well the story so far is , I'm still slowly busy putting it back together.
Engine is back together with gearbox and I have placed the rest of the bike back on top so it is starting to look like a bike again.

script>

script>

And while starting to connect things up I see this, which means another trip to the bike shop to get parts :)
script>

Back
Top Bottom