Asturias

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quite possibly the finest roads in Europe .
Will post up a more detailed description of the ride we did yesterday when I get home but we took this route and it was probably the best single day's riding I've ever had !

be5a58e023e084893258df293991eb21.jpg

80f5478aca53fc261bf63b9d84d75255.png
3935f1e6327227dcc6fceb749d36ec2e.jpg
4c5e39da9b4f9254bb9d8620d02cdcc2.jpg

Absolutely .........................stayed in that area a few years ago with my friend Juan (Cholo)...................great roads. Stayed in Tineo as a base for a few days.
John

That's a lovely ride for sure - and a long way,too. Your map is very zoomed-out. People tend to neglect the spectacular routes west of Aviles and Gijón ( pronounce Hee-HONN using the Loch Lomond throaty consonant ) in favour of the Picos rides.
When riding from here on the south-eastern coast to get the Santander ferry most years recently, I prefer that western route northwards instead of the more direct line via Palencia ( not VALencia ! ).
Mainly because of the stunning scenery among mountains and valleys, plus the ineffably beautifully surfaced asfalt.
AL in Mojácar.

Noted!

I'll take a note of that - leave on Sunday for 15 days in NW Spain & North Portugal:thumb

Cheers......................Grizzly:beerjug:

was there less than 2 weeks ago, great riding.

Quite possibly the finest roads in Europe

Agreed, first visit this year after being in the Picos then Santiago de Compostela.

Did a loop down on the AS-12 Navia to Grandes de Salime, AS-14 / 15 across to Cangas de Narcea, then AS-15 down to Villablino via the ski station at Leitariegos for an overnight at Robles de Laciana. Eerie deserted construction village above the dam on the Rio Navia. The roads seem to be high up on the mountainsides a lot of the way so affording spectacular views although we did ride through a lot of low cloud.

Went back north on the CL-633 / AS-227 via Pola de Someido and Belmonte to the north coast. Wanted to cross east just north of Someido to go up a couple of the Vuelta cycling race climbs but defeated by more low cloud.

The gorge road up through Someido is as good as the Picos but without the traffic. Defo going to spend more time down there next time in Spain.

Very true, a phenomenal ride. The camping lago de Somiedo is in my Top 5 spabish sites, which is really saying something!

Regs

Simon

Just about to push the button on a 5 day trip to Portugal in mid March. Have ordered the three regional Michelin maps 591, 592 and 593 that cover the whole of Portugal and then saw you posting elsewhere about Asturias in another thread. Quick search found this thread.

We are starting in Porto so your route is one long days ride away. Is much of your route at altitude as we will only have summer gear with us after getting off the plane. currently undecided about renting or shipping our own bikes. Flying into Porto and renting seems easiest but concerned about the massive upfront deposit / excess when renting. Now looking at Eurobiketrans as best option as they are not far away in Manchester & can deliver to Porto, cost is about £50 more than renting an Africa Twin or GS.

Just about to push the button on a 5 day trip to Portugal in mid March. Have ordered the three regional Michelin maps 591, 592 and 593 that cover the whole of Portugal and then saw you posting elsewhere about Asturias in another thread. Quick search found this thread.

We are starting in Porto so your route is one long days ride away. Is much of your route at altitude as we will only have summer gear with us after getting off the plane. currently undecided about renting or shipping our own bikes. Flying into Porto and renting seems easiest but concerned about the massive upfront deposit / excess when renting. Now looking at Eurobiketrans as best option as they are not far away in Manchester & can deliver to Porto, cost is about £50 more than renting an Africa Twin or GS.

No,not much altitude at all.

Quite possibly the finest roads in Europe .
Will post up a more detailed description of the ride we did yesterday when I get home but we took this route and it was probably the best single day's riding I've ever had !

be5a58e023e084893258df293991eb21.jpg

80f5478aca53fc261bf63b9d84d75255.png
3935f1e6327227dcc6fceb749d36ec2e.jpg
4c5e39da9b4f9254bb9d8620d02cdcc2.jpg

Are they wheelie measuring poles?

Careful about rentals not awing their bikes on trails. The only one I know that does is in Spain but Anton at Rent-a-Tiger does allow his bikes on trails. Note that he has a 'branch' in Malaga which makes Portugal possible if not exactly ideal ...

But I've also had very positive feedback about Eurobiketrans and very helpful contact with them about my own 'business' - so options still open!

Regs

Simon

You guys in the extreme south are so lucky; I'm still surrounded by ice!

You guys in the extreme south are so lucky; I'm still surrounded by ice!

Ha ha, Im in the Pyrenees where my village has been shrouded in freezing fog - or rather low cloud - for the last four days ...

Simon

PS Dallas, Scotland I like! :)

Ha ha, Im in the Pyrenees where my village has been shrouded in freezing fog - or rather low cloud - for the last four days ...

Simon

PS Dallas, Scotland I like! :)

I passed by your area last year; very nice.

I rode over from Millau, via Toulouse, to Sort (stayed the night) then rode the N260 to the Catalunya MotoGP

I passed by your area last year; very nice.

I rode over from Millau, via Toulouse, to Sort (stayed the night) then rode the N260 to the Catalunya MotoGP

Yes, a very nice route, especially if you rode over the Port de Bonaigüa from Vielha. We drove over the N-260 to Andorra yesterday and the views were fabulous with a lot of snow. Sadly although then road was cleared the packings and lay-byes weren't so it was impossible to stop, even with almost zero traffic at this time of year.

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom