Hexhead Fuel cap lock, getting difficult

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I first noticed that the key did not seat right in, so sometimes a gentle wiggle is required to seat it lower before the twist to open

The other day while riding on fumes, the key went all the way in but refused to twist. Not many options to wiggle and giggle when it's already all the way in but eventually it opened.

The bikes done 34k I'm happy to wiggle and giggle but I d like to know if I'm near to a locked out moment, do these locks have known issues?

Cheers

Wreford

Try some graphite lock lube. My 09 used to get quite tight to turn but a dose of graphite now and again sorted it out.

Similar problem until stuck at fuel station not that long ago. After a lot of wiggle and not much giggle got it opened. Straight home, WD followed by a drop of good old 3in1 and all sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t ever use WD/3in1 or similar.
Alloy barrel and bronze sliders means you’ll have a lovely abrasive past in there ruining it
Graphite or white grease only (white grease is what is in it from the factory)

I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again ;)

Liberally apply lock cleaner and then lock oil. Dont use anything other than lock oil in locks. You want an oil that is thin and doesnt dry. Pouring powder of any kind in a lock is asking for trouble. Graphite will work for a while but sooner or later it will gunk up.

I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again ;)

Liberally apply lock cleaner and then lock oil. Dont use anything other than lock oil in locks. You want an oil that is thin and doesnt dry. Pouring powder of any kind in a lock is asking for trouble. Graphite will work for a while but sooner or later it will gunk up.

Before reading this I used brake cleaner to clean the lock out then white grease applied via the key to lube it... It's lovely and smooth for now

Back
Top Bottom