Which road tyre for 800gs please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry atric

Reaction score
Just bought a new to me 2011 800gs which is fitted with off road tyres. My riding is road based but sometimes mud/cow shit festooned lanes in my local area so having looked at the pinned post on tyres ( last post 2012) seek up to date guidance.
I have had a good look at the options available and there seem to be more tyres than ever before but which one. My theory is I want a tyre that I have confidence with in the wet ( I hate wet roads are the best of times)

I had conti trail attack 2s on mine, didn't have any issues. Folk recommend tourances too.

The front wheel size is quite restricting when it comes to completely road biased tyres.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Always had original Tourances on my 1150GS, but my 800GS came with Annakee 3s, which I have been very happy with and I spend a lot of the time on Irish boreens with lots of cowshit.

Not as grippy as Tourances on gravelly stuff but I find them very good overall including in the wet

Avon Trail Riders worked well for me, supposed to be 90% road orientated 10% dirt. Good grip on wet roads and worked well on muddy gravely back roads. Made in UK as well.

I have only had my GSA for a few months and I am a road biased user. I am using Conti 2's and the grip is good but cannot say anything about longevity.

Another vote for Conti TA2, fantastic tyre, I'm on my 3rd set now and wouldn't consider changing, unless Continental upgrade them!

Looks like a landslide victory for the Conti trail attack 2s then.
Just need to find the best prices.
Cheers lads excellent result.

I will put a spanner in the works....I do about 12 000 miles a year so have been through a fair few sets of tyres.

Used to like Conti Trail Attack 2's but stopped using them about 4 years ago as they give a strange vibration when they start to wear that only occurs on turning. Now they may have changed the compound...

Went through some sets on Heidenau's which are fine for road only riding (and last a long time) but are noisy.

Current favourite are Anakee 3. They are what BMW currently fit and are quiet and seem to have a long life span.

Alex, thanks for that info but we're yours conti attack 2s as I did read that the latest ones were an improvement over the originals?
Sorry just reread your post and they were 2's.

Looking at tyre websites but cant see tubed rear tyres ,assume just use tubeless with inner tube?
Also bm spec says v rating but thats 149 mph surely domt need thst on gs?

Looking at tyre websites but cant see tubed rear tyres ,assume just use tubeless with inner tube?
Also bm spec says v rating but thats 149 mph surely domt need thst on gs?
You need to go to next speed rating up to cope with the extra heat generated from having tubes in tubeless tyres.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I find them quiet as well - at least I never noticed any sounds from them so could not class them as noisy.

Do you wear ear plugs ?

You need to go to next speed rating up to cope with the extra heat generated from having tubes in tubeless tyres.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I assume you only mean the rear as they make a tubed tyre for the front.
Why are the tyres rated by BM way in excess of the attainable ( by me) speeds of the bike ?
So what speed ratings would be best choice ?

Another vote for continental trail attack 2's :thumby: just about to fit my 4th set

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have had two sets of Tourances last lasted appx 12k before squaring, Conti's look more road oriented. Just done a 3000 mile Alps trip, tyres felt planted on all road surfaces.

Right I'm going with the Conti trail attack 2s, best price I've found is on Tyre leader but can anyone please confirm the correct tyres I should be buying as there are several options and I can't afford to get it wrong.

Right I'm going with the Conti trail attack 2s, best price I've found is on Tyre leader but can anyone please confirm the correct tyres I should be buying as there are several options and I can't afford to get it wrong.

When you say correct tyres what exactly do you mean Gerry?

I'm afraid I can't be much help, I just phone my tyres guy and ask him to get me a set in, I ride in, he does the clever stuff while I bounce around his workshop drinking coffee and looking at the race bikes, then I ride out again!

Snappo, what I mean is the correct rating of the tyres.
I just wish I could afford to pass the responsibility of the choice of tyres like you do to your tyre guys. My BMW Motorrad dealer wants £270 for a pair fitted. I can purchase a pair online for about £170 and get them fitted, that's what I have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom