How much!?

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
BMW are going to charge me nearly £25 for a simple exhaust clamp!:eek:

I needed to get my akra off today so I could take the back wheel for a new tyre. I honestly thought I was going to snap the bolt but with a bit of heat I got it loose enough to slide the exhaust off. I suppose it is 18 months and 15k miles old and we've had a wet summer but it's always behaved until now.

Neither the tyre guy nor the local autoparts emporium could supply one so BMW it is then.:blast "no sir we have no stock of those. We sold one last year and yours is only the second this year"

It can be kept as a spare for next time as a couple of hours immersed in 3-in-1, a big vice, and a M8x1.25 tap and die have restored the original back to acceptable working order.:thumb2

BMW are going to charge me nearly £25 for a simple exhaust clamp!:eek:

I needed to get my akra off today so I could take the back wheel for a new tyre. I honestly thought I was going to snap the bolt but with a bit of heat I got it loose enough to slide the exhaust off. I suppose it is 18 months and 15k miles old and we've had a wet summer but it's always behaved until now.

Neither the tyre guy nor the local autoparts emporium could supply one so BMW it is then.:blast "no sir we have no stock of those. We sold one last year and yours is only the second this year"

It can be kept as a spare for next time as a couple of hours immersed in 3-in-1, a big vice, and a M8x1.25 tap and die have restored the original back to acceptable working order.:thumb2
Use a smear of copaslip when assembling it will make it much easier to unscrew.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Halfords do exhaust clamps, no sure if the sizes are the same, worth a try though

Why do you need to take the Akra off to get a new tyre ?

Fair enough,I just take the rear mudguard thingy off .

I called in to the dealer after a visit to the office yesterday. It hadn’t arrived so I muttered that I would pick it up next week. They called at 0830 this morning to say it was in.
I decided that I needed more riding practice in this weird weather (dry, sunny) and also needed some dry miles on my new rear tyre so into Aberdeen I went.

The part they got for me is the wide clamp used to fit the standard silencer and is no good for the akrapovic :blast
The parts guy very helpfully went to look up the right bit and it transpires that BMW don’t have a part number for it as it’s an integral part of the slip on :blagblah

So I’m back to square one and have ordered one from motorworks instead. What a palaver!

You are going to the wrong place for your tyres..... Rab Sillett, Holland Street ,fitted a rear to mine Nae faffing. Just the wheel off, Add new Metzler Next tyre, Balanced, refitted, Paid £124, and Go...............:cool: it is a standard can mind...

FYI an exhaust bracket for an ST1300 from Honda was I think, £26.00 and they only lasted 2 years if you were lucky... Pirtek do Hose clamps which will do the same thing....:thumb

Last edited:
You are going to the wrong place for your tyres..... Rab Sillett, Holland Street ,fitted a rear to mine Nae faffing. Just the wheel off, Add new Metzler Next tyre, Balanced, refitted, Paid £124, and Go...............:cool: it is a standard can mind...

FYI an exhaust bracket for an ST1300 from Honda was I think, £26.00 and they only lasted 2 years if you were lucky... Pirtek do Hose clamps which will do the same thing....:thumb
Rab Sillet means a trek into city traffic, and a long wait. By the time I’ve paid for the services of a translator it costs about the same ;)

He fitted some tyres a couple of years back on a pair of loose wheels. I hadn’t long moved up from englandshire so when I asked him how much he needed paying in recompense for his cheerful and friendly service :p he said ‘jusseethequineken’.
In the end he just pointed to his missus at the counter and went off muttering to his next customer.

He is definately old school and certainly to be experienced but having had that experience I’ll just pay the extra £20 to go local. Besides, Neil at Craigstone supports and sponsors local racers.

No need to remove Akra, just wiggle it after getting it jacked up high.

If relying solely on centre stand just let some air out of tyre & it gets narrow enough to squeeze out

Back
Top Bottom