Vario top box recycling

Gerry atric

Reaction score
Wanting a Vario top box and knowing how much they are I managed to buy a damaged one via the wanted section of this very forum. A nice chap had a top box which unfortunately has disconnected its self from the bike and skidded down the road. It bears some small scars but nothing that a bit of T cut won't cure (LOL).
The reason it came off was the plastic bottom around the latch mechanism just broke away.
However after discussion with an expert recycler (Popell) we jointly came up with this repair.
Where the plastic bottom was missing the hole was trimmed and a plastic spacer cut to fit. Then a steel reinforcing plate ( actually a recycled plate used to fasten kitchen cupboard doors together) was fastened with stainless steel bolts and locking nuts through the bottom over the latch with the plastic spacer stuck to it. For additional strength Stixall was applied as well.
All sounds a faff but it worked, I just think that this could be done to top boxes which haven't failed before it does. Just a thought if anyone is interested.
Picture will be added later.

Wanting a Vario top box and knowing how much they are I managed to buy a damaged one via the wanted section of this very forum. A nice chap had a top box which unfortunately has disconnected its self from the bike and skidded down the road. It bears some small scars but nothing that a bit of T cut won't cure (LOL).
The reason it came off was the plastic bottom around the latch mechanism just broke away.
However after discussion with an expert recycler (Popell) we jointly came up with this repair.
Where the plastic bottom was missing the hole was trimmed and a plastic spacer cut to fit. Then a steel reinforcing plate ( actually a recycled plate used to fasten kitchen cupboard doors together) was fastened with stainless steel bolts and locking nuts through the bottom over the latch with the plastic spacer stuck to it. For additional strength Stixall was applied as well.
All sounds a faff but it worked, I just think that this could be done to top boxes which haven't failed before it does. Just a thought if anyone is interested.
Picture will be added later.

d439052b43ca4259f4e01e492c03d1f5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It wouldnt hurt for anyone with an older style (ie without the securing 'pin') to look to see if there is a crack in the (flimsy) plastic - right where Geriatric has covered with the plate in the picture, it might save some future grief.

Good job Graham!!

Back
Top Bottom