Multicontroller wheel relocated

fred_jb

Reaction score
In a recent thread I described how on a recent long tour I had become so irritated by the multicontroller wheel obstructing access to the indicator switch and getting operated accidentally, that I removed it, even though this meant having to buy and fit a different heated grip. The improvement for me was immense and it won't be going back to having the wheel in its standard position. Details here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/462586-Removal-of-Multicontroller-a-k-a-Wonderwheel

However, I have now succeeded in re-fitting the wheel in an alternative position inboard of the switch cluster. I can still operate it with my thumb without letting go of the bar, but there is no way it will now get operated accidentally. I used nylon bolts fitted through the three holes which are normally used to secure the wheel to the grip to hold the wheel together and the washers under the nuts intrude slightly into the central space the bar passes through, which give a tight friction fit of the wheel to the bar. I rewired the wheel to fit a longer cable and take its six connecting wires out of the other side, and soldered them to the original small connector which connects the wheel to the switch cluster. I also made a small plastic cover to protect the wiring which now comes out of the left side of the wheel. The first attempt at fitting worked, but meant that I would have to remove the wheel whenever the grip is removed, due to its connector plugging into the inside of the switch cluster and being inaccessible without removing the grip and switch cluster first.

For the mk II version I decided to put a connector inline with the wheel cable so that it could be easily disconnected, but have found it incredibly difficult to find a small waterproof 6 way plug and socket - all the automotive miniature types, similar to the original one which I have re-used to plug into the switch cluster, seem to be only available in minimum quantities of 2500 or more! If anyone knows of a source please let me know. The one I have fitted for now is massive, as you can see from the photo below, though it tucks away under the clutch assembly so is not obvious. The second picture shows the wheel fitted and fully operational in its new position.

Even in its new position, I am still not convinced that the wheel is the best way to provide these functions, so I am also working on an alternative arrangement which will either use a simple miniature joystick, or more likely a four way navigation pad like those found on some remote controls. I am not really totally mad - I just enjoy the challenge!

Fred

untitled-6040-XL.jpg

untitled-6047-XL.jpg

Neat job, very clever and way beyond my skills and knowledge. Wouldn't a thumb extension to your glove have been easier though. The phrase 'Joe Lucas thumbs' springs to mind.

Good job that I've not found the original position a problem

Have you tried putting "6 way waterproof plug socket" into Ebay ?
Seems to come up with quite a few options.

Have you tried putting "6 way waterproof plug socket" into Ebay ?
Seems to come up with quite a few options.

Yes - I've spent hours searching in Google and on eBay. Maybe I've missed one, but so far all the connectors I've found which are readily available are similar in size to the one I've used. The only suitably small ones I have found so far are not available in small quantities. I have requested from the manufacturer, and received, a couple of free samples of the connector used by BMW to connect the wheel to the switch cluster, but the pins for it which I also asked for have not arrived and are supposedly on back order. I will use these to connect my alternative version if I build one, but there doesn't seem to be a matching wire mounted socket to also use it for the cable connection.

There are also several big electronic component companies which sell this sort of thing, though not on eBay, but when I have looked at the data sheets of promising examples they have all been too big. They all list several smaller types but these are the ones which state a high minimum order quantity which rules them out. Very frustrating, but I will keep looking.

Down the pub last night, we voted the current indicator switch as 'the worst feature' about our bikes. Nice job, are you looking BMW?

I also agree about the indicator why alter a system you have used for many years, BMW you have the sales regardless of the indicator set up so why not leave be !..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not happy that my thread has degenerated into an argument over racial stereotyping, so please cut it out.

On the other hand I would accept that some BMW car owners, along with some owners of other premium brands, are a legitimate target for criticism, and my experience is that far from being members of racial minorities the vast majority of the dangerously aggressive and/or incompetent tend to be white and middle aged.

Nice job, are you looking BMW?

Thanks. I think it is clearly wrong to have secondary controls like the wheel closer to the hand and more conveniently placed than the primary and safety related controls like indicator, horn and lighting switches. The original pre-wheel layout was presumably designed to be optimally ergonomic, and then they added the wheel and inevitably compromised it. I think the alternative wheel position I have used could easily be productionised with minimal expense. However, like the Japanese, I think the Germans tend to be afflicted by "not invented here" syndrome which makes them reluctant to accept suggestions from outside the company - so don't hold your breath waiting for BMW to make changes to this!

That is an excellent idea. I wish I had the time and patience to do it myself.

Back
Top Bottom