2016 GS standard rear shock 'protector'

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You know the bit I mean. The black bit of plastic between the rear wheel and the rear shock. After four days in France and Belgium in the rain, it's clearly not adequate for the job and hinders cleaning of the shock so I've decided to take it off completely and fit a Mudsling.

It appears to be joined to the bottom of the shock but for the life of me I can't see how to take it off. I have an awful feeling that it only comes off with the shock out. Nuffink in the Haynes manual that assists either.

Has anyone done this recently and able to advise me?

Thanks very much. :thumb2

Like just about everyone else, I have fitted a mudsling. I just fitted it without removing anything - am I missing something?

You know the bit I mean. The black bit of plastic between the rear wheel and the rear shock. After four days in France and Belgium in the rain, it's clearly not adequate for the job and hinders cleaning of the shock so I've decided to take it off completely and fit a Mudsling.

It appears to be joined to the bottom of the shock but for the life of me I can't see how to take it off. I have an awful feeling that it only comes off with the shock out. Nuffink in the Haynes manual that assists either.

Has anyone done this recently and able to advise me?

Thanks very much. :thumb2

Once you fit the mudsling you won't need to do much in the way of cleaning the shock. I have not heard of anyone taking off the piece of plastic you mention.

Like just about everyone else, I have fitted a mudsling. I just fitted it without removing anything - am I missing something?

No, definitely not, I just wondered if it could be removed for cleaning prior to me getting the Mudsling. I then thought I might as well leave it off for better access.

No, definitely not, I just wondered if it could be removed for cleaning prior to me getting the Mudsling. I then thought I might as well leave it off for better access.
Its held in place by 2 small torx screws on either side of the bottom of the shock. They are very difficult to get to but it can be done. I did so to assist in removing the shock for conversion to Wilber's units, but that's a whole other level of spannering - the rear sub frame needs to be pivoted up out of the way to remove the shock. I have a mudsling fitted and don't intend to replace the protector as, like you, I think it prevents thorough cleaning.
Alan R

Its held in place by 2 small torx screws on either side of the bottom of the shock. They are very difficult to get to but it can be done. I did so to assist in removing the shock for conversion to Wilber's units, but that's a whole other level of spannering - the rear sub frame needs to be pivoted up out of the way to remove the shock. I have a mudsling fitted and don't intend to replace the protector as, like you, I think it prevents thorough cleaning.
Alan R

Thanks very much :beerjug: One quick question: are the torx screws downwards or sideways facing please?

Thanks very much :beerjug: One quick question: are the torx screws downwards or sideways facing please?
As you look at the shock from the rear of the bike, they are located at the 8&10 o'clock positions on the left hand side and the 2&4 o'clock on the right hand side of the foot of the shock.
Alan R

Get the Mudsling and not the cheaper Maier version as it runs on the swingarm as I found out. Rubbed through to bare metal on a one month old bike....I was pissed off to say the least

Get the Mudsling and not the cheaper Maier version as it runs on the swingarm as I found out. Rubbed through to bare metal on a one month old bike....I was pissed off to say the least

Thanks for the advice. I did look at that particular protector but not only did it attach differently, it was only available via the US and once tax etc was taken into account wasn't that cheaper. They also wouldn't post it to me in the UK because they considered it fragile goods and couldn't guarantee it would arrived undamaged, for which they wouldn't take any responsibility. Very weary.

Back
Top Bottom