R100GS tight gator

daylyons

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening all, now we know that a 'tight gator' is a kind of crocodile that doesn't like spending money. However, a 'tight gaiter' is a piece of rubber that Motorworks send you in the casual hope that you can fit it on to the swing arm of an R 100GS motorcycle. This is very difficult to do. After two days being stretched over a piece of wood and then warmed slightly with a hair dryer the offending item did in fact slip on, helped with a dab of grease. When it comes to re-assemblying the swing arm and bevel box Haynes and Clymer both seem to proffer the most confusing rubbish about which threads to lubricate and with what. Lubriate the pivot plug and bearing, do the outer race not the inner race, and so on. But do not grease the clever plug on the rear left-hand side, as this has to be loctited up. I know this, as I had to purchase a 3-foot breaker bar with a half-inch socket fitting and a 12 mm hex spanner to get the thing undone. Why does this wee plug need loctite and the others do not?
As for re-assembly, I shall simply be applying molybdenum grease to anything that seems likely to move (apart from the loctite one), then smear my wonderful Liqui Moly LM 47 Wunderfett on to the driveshaft/bevel box interface splines. At least this bit makes sense, as this essentially is the heart of the bike.
Also the wheels need cleaning big time, maybe even re-spoking, rim polishing and all that stuff. But where!
Will it never end?

dave

In fact Motorworks do 'a BMW original' and an 'easier to fit' version of this gaiter/boot. I bought and have fitted the 'original', even though MW actually e-mailed me after taking my order to recommend buying their own 'easy' version, which is more expensive. People on this forum advised against the Motorworks version and I followed this counsel. Clearly the right move.

dave

DAYLYONS, Honda Moly 50 spline lube works better than Liqi Moly, and you need a good smear.
It is a service item and should be redone at the 20,000 km service , if you want the UJ and rear gear box bearing to last.
And it doesnt take a lot of heat to break Loktite, a gas blow torch will do - the Loktite site has the details and they arnt too confusing-----.

I used a non standard rubber gaitor/sleeve - they're a bastard to get on - if not lined up proberly... mines lasted alright - two yers so far also used hagon shocker despite dire warnings all ok I use the bike for heavy deliveris eveymonth

Back
Top Bottom