BMW NAV 6 battery draining

MaDPRoFF

Reaction score
I have a 2017 TE with Nav 6 supplied by BMW Garage, If I leave the Nav on the bike it drains the Nav battery to the point it will not start up for an hour, even if I make sure I turn it off when the page comes up wait 30 secs or power off now.
I have removed the Nav and it still seems to drain to the point it is so flat will not power on. I would say about a MONTH of not using the Nav or Bike

Do you think it is a software issue, others having this issue or a faulty battery in the Nav that will not hold its charge.

I might add I have a 5 year old Garmin 660 and still it battery holds it's charge for months and months even a year plus with out use (Really must get rid of it :)

Thanks

Id suggest a faulty battery have a word regarding warranty replacement of the unit

I've had this with my Nav V. A friend suggested that when I was turning it off, I'd only been putting it in standby and not off completely. I don't use it that often and was pissed off that it often took so long to start up.

Since holding the power button for longer when turning it off, the problem's solved

Whilst it could be a battery issue, as you have crashed the battery several times it seems, it is possible that the canbus isn't closing down the SatNav cradle when you switch the bike off. Whilst unlikely, it may even be wired direct to the battery.

Assuming the cradle was dealer fitted 2017, get them to check that it closes down fully, probably around a minute after you turn the ignition off. They can also check for physical/water damage to the cradle itself, as well as for corrosion on the contacts. Don't confuse what the Nav6 does, or the instructions it requests, with what is happening with the cradle power supply.

If its like the Nav V, if you leave on the bike and push the off button on the screen, its not off, its in standby. The same happens if you push off on the screen and take the Nav out of the cradle. The only way to shut it down completely is to push cancel, take it out of the cradle and then push the on/off button and then push off on the screen. What your describing happened to me when I first had the Nav V, Garmin told me how to shut it down completely, haven't had an issue since.

Never had this in the Nav V ever but the VI is doing it constantly- as little as a week stood and it’s dead.
Took almost an hr into yesterday’s ride before it came alive stating “low battery”.

If its like the Nav V, if you leave on the bike and push the off button on the screen, its not off, its in standby. The same happens if you push off on the screen and take the Nav out of the cradle. The only way to shut it down completely is to push cancel, take it out of the cradle and then push the on/off button and then push off on the screen. What your describing happened to me when I first had the Nav V, Garmin told me how to shut it down completely, haven't had an issue since.

So you’re expected to dick about unlocking the cradle, removing te device and powering it down if on the off chance you’re not going to use the bike for a while?

What an utter load of bollocks!

@HammyUK exactly same as mine, overtime I do not use the bike for a while like 6 weeks etc. My old Garmin was never like that if I left it in the cradle, though not a BMW version or on a BMW bike. I do think it is draining slowly because it is not switched off, which is stupid, I have updated it today maps etc. not sure if there software updates. Will try again, have phoned BMW they probably will replace the battery, but pointless if there is a constant drain, even in standby it should use no power as it is a sat nav, unless it is still connected to GPS satellites.

So you’re expected to dick about unlocking the cradle, removing te device and powering it down if on the off chance you’re not going to use the bike for a while?

What an utter load of bollocks!

You can do what you want, but the fact is, when you leave in the cradle, its not off. You can tell that because it immediately starts up. If its actually off, you end up with the start up menu and the agree screen. Your fault for buying a GS, on the RT the sat nav doesn't lock in, so its easy :) Also easier to steel of course.

I've had this with my Nav V. A friend suggested that when I was turning it off, I'd only been putting it in standby and not off completely. I don't use it that often and was pissed off that it often took so long to start up.

Since holding the power button for longer when turning it off, the problem's solved

+ 1 on above. Device has a sleep function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom