S1000XR or S1000R ??

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I've decided to have a shift around in the Garage, the GSA thats now two years old is going and my Triumph Scrambler will be up for sale. Ive got an Africa Twin for commuting and green lane duties. I'm looking to get an S1000 (XR or R) as a fun second bike, but can do a bit of commuting / touring where necessary.

I rode the R last year and loved it. Rode the XR in the week and loved it. Cant get on with the looks of the XR, but love the comfort, NAV V integration and touring potential but the fact its a second bike means why not loose some comfort and get a sportier R. Has anyone owned both and have a better insight into whats what??

The XR doesn't have the same functionality with the Nav V as it does with the GS/GSA, ie you loose some temps, no TPMS..........

I had a similar dilemma about 18months ago. I wanted a change from the large explorer type of bikes as I was doing most of my miles on tours, mainly abroad. Most of those I ride with are very competent and I was having to red line all the time, when out with the faster guys. I test rode the a number of bikes, including both the XR and 1000R. I then went back for a full day of back to back test ride of them both.

I came down on the side of the S1000R, light, nimble turns very quickly, mad acceleration in dynamic pro mode. The 'nakedness' of it was not a problem with the sport screen, and I have done about 8K on it in that time already (one of three bikes). I have toured all over Europe, with a Givi tank lock bag, a luggage rack instead of a pillion seat and Kriega bags. I find it immensely comfortable, excellent performance, good fuel consumption and tank range, considering, and have become smitten. It still makes me grin and giggle when I ride, the same as it did on the test rides, which is why I bought it. The only downside is that I can through tyres :augie

I did from Sevenoaks to Sahagún in Spain via St Malo in one hit (after missing the ferry to Santander) to catch everyone else up. No dramas. An R gets my vote, as good as the XR is, for me it was the better option. Just my experience other's may differ.

I had an R, which I traded for an XR. PM me if you want a chat to discuss why. ;)

I've gone back to a GSA after an XR.

For me the GS has more character, looks better, does about an extra 10mpg, handles virtually as well 95 percent of the time, soaks up bumps better, has a much better headlight and features (e.g. Sat Nav lock, trip info, keyless, shaft drive).

I did 6k miles in 6 months on my XR and don't miss it one bit, it was a novelty at first but it's so bloody ugly and feels a step down from a GS in all but straight line speed to me.

Just in the process of swapping my R for a XR. Had the R for 3 years and think it’s brilliant but a bit too single minded, it was bought as a sunny day toy to complement my GSA but I’ve decided I’d like a little more practicality but still have the insane engine from the R.

I'm the other way around. Bought An R To compliment the GS. Love it. XR to similar in style to the GS for me. Both XR and R are brilliant. Tough, but good decision to have.

I rode the R last year and loved it. Cant get on with the looks of the XR,

the answer to your decision lies within your post......I for one could not own a bike that i did not like the look off.....

I have an R1200RS. Yesterday, I took a an S1000XR out for the morning whilst the RS was being serviced.

I am not minded to change from the RS as this is a good commuter, fun Sunday ride or tourer. There were a few aspects of the XR that grated but ultimately, I'm biased towards big twins and shaft drive.

Unless you have really fallen out of love with the boxer engine, try an RS before deciding.

I went from an R to an XR. I have also owned a 15 GSWC and RTWC.

The XR is more comfortable, handles as well and goes as hard as the R. Best bike I have owned, although I do miss the GS.....

Yes, the XR has a face that only a mother would love, but it is such a great all rounder that you get used to the looks.

The centre stand is very useful (yes, daggy looking...but...).

I use mine as an upright sport bike...

Only criticism is the heavy clutch...that is the same on the R.

I had an R, it’s like a scalpel. I can’t get on with the look of the XR, that gap at the front and that rad.

The GS is a capable all rounder but dull to me. I’d like something spicier but it’s got to have garage appeal. Maybe the future is orange?

Worth bearing in mind with the R is weight of the rider, they are designed with an 85kg rider in mind. When put under pressure with a tosser sized rider on board I felt it was over pressed at times; this can be beefed up.

Thanks everyone !!

After much testing, I chose the R. Riding the R back to back with the XR, I found the XR to be quite vibey and the suspension odly harsher in the same settings? I also dont get on with the looks of the XR, but was happy to go with it if it was much more suited to me than the R. The R is an incredible machine. Silky smooth and so so quick but still very comfy cruising.

Loved the grey, but ordered a motorsport colours one. should collect next weekend !

Back
Top Bottom