Basic Ramblings

Front is manual preload only ,rear has a hydraulic preload adjuster and rebound damping adjustment only......that said it is non the worse for it.

That's an advantage over the ESA bikes then - no front shock preload adjustment there.

front preload,mine has not got that

The latest ESA system, the one with the self levelling suspension is stated to have suspension travel sensors front and rear, but although this information is probably used for the dynamic damping adjustment, I think only the rear spring has an automatic preload adjustment which is used to adjust the attitude of the bike and keep it level. This probably makes sense as you only really need to adjust one end for levelling purposes, and in any case additional load generally has much more effect on rear sag than front sag, and in my experience on other bikes putting a lot of extra load on the back can even reduce front sag due to changes in weight distribution.

I'd have to concur. I had an ex-ORS GS enduro with manual suspension. Whilst it didn't have the sophistication of the semi active ESA (so no front end damping stiffening on breaking etc) the ride quality, particularly at the rear, was better. I took a Rallye out recently for a test and it's just the same - nervous, jiggly ride quality at the rear, crashing over potholes and feeling under-damped. Having had 5 GS/GSA with ESA (for various reasons!) I've concluded it's not for me. The best ride quality I have found in a BMW was on the K1300GT - comfort was supremely plush, normal well-controlled and sport great for faster riding. Not semi active, so I wonder if Neil is right about the front picking up a bump or series of bumps and the rear damping is increased, resulting in poor ride quality? I briefly took a KTM 1290SA out for a test (the original 30L tank version) about a year ago and don't remember the rear being harsh at all, even on Croydon's battle-scarred streets.

Neil, as you know I had similar issues to you with my ESA. Having tested the latest version I still think a pair of quality manually adjustable shocks are much, much better. That and all the other issues with my 14 GSA meant a return to a TC which I love. However, I think the 17 bike is a significant improvement over the 14 and so tempted again tried to get a test ride on a standard spring set up.....not a chance....Dealer says none available, even in used stock.

Neil, as you know I had similar issues to you with my ESA. Having tested the latest version I still think a pair of quality manually adjustable shocks are much, much better. That and all the other issues with my 14 GSA meant a return to a TC which I love. However, I think the 17 bike is a significant improvement over the 14 and so tempted again tried to get a test ride on a standard spring set up.....not a chance....Dealer says none available, even in used stock.

Mate, compared to my 2014 TE they are like chalk and cheese, when I bought my 2011 GSA tc Basic the non ESA shocks were fairly average quality (so much so that I put on Maxtons), on the new GSA LC Basic the shocks feel to be good quality. I'm just back from a 180 mile run around Kielder and the Borders taking in roads that are fun but quite poorly surfaced .

On the ESA bike it was an utter nightmare and uncomfortable, on the new one with manual shocks it was an absolute hoot and almost as good a run as it used to be on the TC with aftermarket shocks.

Gearbox without GSAP is excellent and it has enough toys on it to be interesting

As a BMW technician told me with a non ESA bike especially the latest models there is so much less to go wrong.

I very much doubt that any dealers will buy in a Basic for stock and BMW UK doesn't seem to want to bring them into the country (smaller profits perhaps ) .

Mine was special order but even after only 300 miles I think I have made the right decision as the non ESA bikes are a completely different animal

Good to hear that your bike is what you want. I think the 2017 bikes are much more sorted. Gear box is so much better,they do ride a lot better. I've just bought a new GSA TE , was like you looking for a basic but told unavailable. Got an exceptional deal on the TE and love it , suspension better by far than my 2014 XE , motor better, less noise , and really drops into corners . I find the ESA non intrusive and good over any surface. Maybe because it's new, my old XE seemed to be shagged out and awful handling before I had it serviced/ new tyres after the NW500 . I sold it because of that, but missed it's Swiss army do it all function. Sold my scrambler and bought this new one . Absolutely love it .I appreciate there is stuff on it that may be a liability but I'll have to live with that . Glad you are loving yours :thumby::thumby:

Good to hear that your bike is what you want. I think the 2017 bikes are much more sorted. Gear box is so much better,they do ride a lot better. I've just bought a new GSA TE , was like you looking for a basic but told unavailable. Got an exceptional deal on the TE and love it , suspension better by far than my 2014 XE , motor better, less noise , and really drops into corners . I find the ESA non intrusive and good over any surface. Maybe because it's new, my old XE seemed to be shagged out and awful handling before I had it serviced/ new tyres after the NW500 . I sold it because of that, but missed it's Swiss army do it all function. Sold my scrambler and bought this new one . Absolutely love it .I appreciate there is stuff on it that may be a liability but I'll have to live with that . Glad you are loving yours :thumby::thumby:

Wait until the esa beds in ??

Mate, compared to my 2014 TE they are like chalk and cheese, when I bought my 2011 GSA tc Basic the non ESA shocks were fairly average quality (so much so that I put on Maxtons), on the new GSA LC Basic the shocks feel to be good quality. I'm just back from a 180 mile run around Kielder and the Borders taking in roads that are fun but quite poorly surfaced .

On the ESA bike it was an utter nightmare and uncomfortable, on the new one with manual shocks it was an absolute hoot and almost as good a run as it used to be on the TC with aftermarket shocks.

Gearbox without GSAP is excellent and it has enough toys on it to be interesting

As a BMW technician told me with a non ESA bike especially the latest models there is so much less to go wrong.

I very much doubt that any dealers will buy in a Basic for stock and BMW UK doesn't seem to want to bring them into the country (smaller profits perhaps ) .

Mine was special order but even after only 300 miles I think I have made the right decision as the non ESA bikes are a completely different animal

Thanks, good to hear....I am convinced that semi active suspension is solving a problem that doesn't exist and is creating a whole set of new ones. I tried the dealer again to try and source a non ESA bike....best he came up with was knocking the price of the ESA off the price of a new TE.

Bike went in for its 600 mile service today and retrofit of the sat nav prep, interestingly without the cradle there was zero turbulence and very little engine noise on the bike, after they were fitted there is a lot more turbulence behind the screen and a great deal more reflected noise. The sat nav cradle obviously causes a disruption of the air flow behind the screen and reflects more noise back towards the rider.

Also picked up a set of rallye radiator guards and frame protectors (silver frame was already showing marks from my boots that would not have been visible on a black frame).Rad guards needed 2 small bits of plastic removed but fitted in about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• 20171004_155540.jpg
    20171004_155540.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 518
  • 20171004_154955.jpg
    20171004_154955.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 538
  • 20171004_154224.jpg
    20171004_154224.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 518
  • 20171004_154209.jpg
    20171004_154209.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 493
Re the silver frame, you could easily get some black vinyl, wrap the whole frame, and pass it off as frame protection, if this lot give you any stick!:green gri

Re the silver frame, you could easily get some black vinyl, wrap the whole frame, and pass it off as frame protection, if this lot give you any stick!:green gri

If I keep this one , it will eventually get stripped down and the frame powder coated black.

Sorted out fitting the new top box rack adaptor (GIVI SRA 5112) and its reinforcement sub structure , it definitely provides a lot more support for the top box than the old universal adaptor plate and the new Givi Trekker Outback
58 top box feels more secure.

Also stuck on a set of rear indicator protectors

Attachments

• bmw givi 061  2.jpg
    bmw givi 061 2.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 760
  • bmw givi 055 4.jpg
    bmw givi 055 4.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 806
  • bmw givi 058.jpg
    bmw givi 058.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 747
  • bmw givi 063.jpg
    bmw givi 063.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 799
Tell me about the toolbox please - now that it seems a disc lock won't fit under the seat.

Good choice, Neil.

I just went to BMW North America's build page to see if they offer base versions here? They show the regular GS starting at $16,900 but no matter which colour I select the "premium" package is added bringing it to $21K! I may need to check with a dealer to see if they can special order a base one here. All I want is cruise, heated grips, GPS prep, and LED headlight.

After trying a number of GoPro mounts both helmet and Ram based ones that never seem to work right fitted this today , hopefully it will perform better

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 549
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 517

Back
Top Bottom