Basic Ramblings

Well got a decent run in today with a pillion onboard , turned the rear shock up two or three turns ( took less time than the ESA used to take to change) and went for a run around Kielder Water into the Borders.

First thing my wife was saying was how much smoother it was than the old bike (2014 GSA) and how the suspension had non of the harshness of the ESA bike.

Even pushing on two up on poorly surfaced roads the bike tracks better and has a more planted feel on the road and the front suspension in particular responds so much better to any surface irregularities.

Definitely made the right choice

I don't think it has anything at all to do with keyless, either directly or indirectly.

My keyless GS locked both ways. Got an RS in April, with keyless, and it locks both ways. Wife got an RS in May, with keyless, and it only locks on the left. I compared headstocks on the two bikes, and hers appears to have an extra bit of metal welded on which stops the bolt from the steering lock engaging when the bars are to the right.

Zackly - It's the frame, not keyless.

+1 on that.. my 2015 GS is manual shocks.. no ESA.. had to look for ages to get one, but love it. No adjustment on the front... 5 turns on the rear with the wife on and about same on damping, and its excellent... takes 30 seconds to change it back to one up.... 0 and 8 on damping, And much less to go wrong... may look to get Wilbers longer term....
Why does everyonr want ESA?.. as you say, the non-ESA bike feel much better. I did test ride a TE and it did feel much harsher in comparison to mine.. think someone said, like the back and front were trying to do the same thing at the same time?... it was exactly like that?
Mine has DRL, so a LED light under the main one... and for some reason, spec'd without heated grips.. thats the one thing I would change.. in fact, I may buy the bits and add them on, than get BMW to activate :)

Did a 250 mile run yesterday acoss to Otterburn up over Carter Bar , Bonchester Bridge, Hawick, Selkirk, St Marys Loch,Moffat , Lockerbie , Langholm, Kershopefoot , Roadhead, Gilsland and back along the military road.

Picked up on a load of B and C class roads a number of them badly surfaced and it is still astounding me how well the non ESA suspension is working and how smooth the ride is on that type of road compared with the old TE model.

That said my brother in laws 2004 Caponord that cost nearly 8 times less managed it just as well , although it was getting 8 mpg less than the BMW.

Forgot how nice the roads are around St Marys Loch as it must have been over 25 years ago since I was up there on a refresher driving course

Im just waiting for mine to be ready, Not one extra. ill fit my new kappa hard panniers and thats it. I also got £1000 off the £13400 price as there is a built in discount they take off when you add extras but as i didnt add any they knocked it off . I can always add things later if i really need them .

Im just waiting for mine to be ready, Not one extra. ill fit my new kappa hard panniers and thats it. I also got £1000 off the £13400 price as there is a built in discount they take off when you add extras but as i didnt add any they knocked it off . I can always add things later if i really need them .

GSA discount - can I ask which dealer ?

I am struggling to get any more than £500 off a basic spec

I chose the gs basic bike with heated grips,
Went for ohlins ttx suspension with some of the money saved,
Fitted the usual mudsling etc,
Coming up 4 years old in october , not feeling the need to change for a new one,
Its been boringly reliable,,
Roamer,

Where is the manual pre-load adjuster for the front suspension on a base model?

there isn't one its non adjustable,but none the worse for it,mine is non esa and never felt that I whished I had esa tbh

GSA discount - can I ask which dealer ?

I am struggling to get any more than £500 off a basic spec

Marshalls BMW Louth North Lincolnshire. Tried to price match at York but was told they dont sell any standard and didnt seem interested at all.

Down in the Alps at the minute, done 900 miles in the past 3 days, bike fully loaded and two up, took all of 30 seconds to turn up the rear preload and damping and it runs rings around the old TE model especially on the mountains and ln the back roads.

Looks like the non esa shocks are going to be decent quality, checking the spokes daily though as not all are tunefully tinging and a couple have a flat note although aren't loose yet

Back
Top Bottom