Mainly Croatia - The Sequel

Dave Ford

Reaction score
As described in this RR, my recent holiday ended with the bike left with the dealer in Trieste after the rear wheel bearings/final drive gave up. The dealer was unable to locate a final drive in Italy or in Germany, so we had no choice but to leave the bike with them and fly home. Whilst there I asked them to also replace the fuel sender which first failed three years ago; I'd successfully repaired it with a piezo-igniter several times but each but eventually I'd reached the situation where it would be only a matter of hours until the thing failed again, so I'd given up.

Just over a week after leaving it I received an email to say the bike was ready, so on 8 September flew Wizzair to Venice and then took the train to Trieste. I'd booked a night at the Hotel Italia, where we'd left all our bike gear. Tuesday morning saw me at the dealers, where I was presented with a bill for 2,293.42 euro - pretty much what I'd been told to expect. What I hadn't expected was that they'd replaced the fuel pump assembly, and some other parts, under warranty (it's a 2009 bike). The bill (translation is not perfect) comprised:

Trieste_bill_translated.png

I think that a labour cost of just under 200 euro for replacing the final drive and the fuel sender is pretty reasonable.

The invoice also contained the following:

Swingarm.png

Admittedly it's eight years since I ordered the bike and my memory's not what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure that swinging arm audio wasn't an option for the GSA. Eventually I managed to talk with the mechanic who'd worked on the bike - "cardan" is the driveshaft and the "headphones" are the swinging arm gaiters. He seemed to say that the driveshaft is in a bad condition. As we shook hands he said "Please ride slowly" - not exactly what I wanted to hear.

Spent the rest of Tuesday and the following day riding back to Timișoara, with an overnight stop in Maribor (Slovenia). An utterly miserable 1,500 km journey with constant rain, strong winds and temperatures in single figures.

Now to remove the driveshaft and hope to God that it's repairable...

Hi Dave, Glad you managed to get the bike back ok in the end. It looks like the price we both paid for our FD's were comparable despite the different locations.. Also our experience of the dealerships seems to be very positive - I can't comment on how they compare with UK dealers as I only use independent shops over here.

Back
Top Bottom