New Gold Wing

That looks like my washing machine. Loads of features, most of which you probably don't need and will never use.

Pretty much my thoughts too. I've always wondered if I'd like one, but never been interested enough to go and find out.

I had a GoldWing for a couple of years and did a fair few miles on it. My thoughts:-

It's too single-purpose to be my only bike. Not much good for a Sunday blatt or commuting

The lovely Mrs Saint felt too remote from the pillion experience, sat high and too far behind me. It was her least favourite pillion ride.

They are amazingly comfortable for mile munching

They handle way, way better than you might expect

I don't want another one (unless it's one of my post lottery win fleet)

I pretty much concur, bristol.... although my wife enjoyed riding on our 2001 1800. She loved the huge seat, backrest, and armrests with the little compartments for snacks and various items.

From my perspective the riding position was cramped, seat uncomfortable, suspension was jarring, and while it had lots of power it felt like it needed a 6th gear. I bought it knowing these shortcomings because my alternative was a Harley Electra Glide which the wife liked as well and I found *much* more comfortable. But it's short comings were more serious, actually rendering it unsafe. They were poor brakes, wobbly handling, and severely underpowered as delivered. Harley remedied those three problems from 2009 on and I was happy to replace the GL1800 at that point.

These bikes are basically all about carrying a passenger in comfort they're completely overkill for solo riding, although the new base model Goldwing now lighter and with the smaller shield, seat, and sans trunk wouldn't be so bad for a heavy solo tourer.

You're right no way I'd have a big, heavy bike like a Wing or Harley Tourer for an only motorcycle.

It’s a big pig still
9cc46c251c576c10b0b7820f162fbd02.jpg

I had GL1800 a few years ago for about a month handle far better then expected up to the point every corner I was grinding something away under it, I needed to get rid while there was still some of it left :D

Underrated and great as long as you can take your time in the corners

Well done Honda, what brilliant engineering.
That is one superb motorcycle, It's good to see Honda using alternative to the telescopic fork.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ti0JEGAPd5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wouldn't be for me, but agree with Pat. Good to see some innovative engineering for a change.
A seven speed DCT transmission, brilliant!
I changed to a VFR 1200F DCT in August and can't see me ever going back to a manual box. For tootling around I just leave it in drive. The sport setting scares the life out of me! Redlines it in all the gears.
If I feel like it, I can use the triggers to change up and down.
Quick shifters? I just keep the throttle open and pull the trigger. Seamless.
There's even an option to plug in a gear lever accessory if you so desire.
Full marks to Honda for going down this road. I've yet to hear of any failures concerning their DCT.
Now, a DCT box on a K1600GT?
There something to cause sleepless nights without a good warranty.

Wouldn't be for me, but agree with Pat. Good to see some innovative engineering for a change.
A seven speed DCT transmission, brilliant!
I changed to a VFR 1200F DCT in August and can't see me ever going back to a manual box. For tootling around I just leave it in drive. The sport setting scares the life out of me! Redlines it in all the gears.
If I feel like it, I can use the triggers to change up and down.
Quick shifters? I just keep the throttle open and pull the trigger. Seamless.
There's even an option to plug in a gear lever accessory if you so desire.
Full marks to Honda for going down this road. I've yet to hear of any failures concerning their DCT.
Now, a DCT box on a K1600GT?
There something to cause sleepless nights without a good warranty.

I am sure the tech will trickle down to the Pan.

If there was ever a tourer that DCT would suit, it would be the Pan.
Could be my next bike if they brought out that option.
The Wing is just a bit too much, my legs are too short for the Crosstourer and the VFR 1200F, while good, is not quite as ideal to me as a Pan.

Looking good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o2Pj-VHrDt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have to say this latest incarnation is terrific and a major move on from the outgoing model. There were always throngs around it at the NEC and the quality really does shine. I've ridden most models of the Wing in its 40 odd year lifespan and it's always an amazing thing to ride because despite its size/weight, it's so easy to pilot. The show bike is heading to the crusher after its stint at the German show as it's a pre-production model.

This is the Gold Wing that Honda should have built.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 714
When out on a 1800 test ride at a Gold Wing Honda day, lovely smooth comfortable bike, handled well for its size, lacked ground clearance but everyone knows that, got to along straight B road no traffic, stoped, said to my wife hold on, red line in gears to 100 mph and it felt quick, braked hard abs activiated, only then did the bike show how heavy it was in stopping distance
This new GW looks a stunning bike, can see a long waiting list/delivery

At the risk of having another complimentary and constructive post deleted :rolleyes: I really like it and it should be significantly lighter than the current model.

And lets be honest the BMW and Honda finish are opposite ends of the spectrum from a quality perspective. BMW seems to be pushing volume and trading on image rather than improving the quality of its product. Who would honestly buy a new BMW.

Honda are having more than a little trouble with the paint on their frames if you read the Honda forums, so its not just BMW that have corrosion issues. But Honda are better at handling the perception all is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom