New Gold Wing

I'll have to have a go on one, but at around 100hp compared to the 160 I have on the GTL I can't see me switching, the GTL is an awesome bike, it has it's flaws like all bikes, but that engine...……….:drool

James

Your 1600 is returning 54 mpg, those extra 60 bhp are just wasted.

Your 1600 is returning 54 mpg, those extra 60 bhp are just wasted.

Yea, but when you need them they are ready and willing, better to have them and keep them in the stable than want them and find your have donkeys! :hippy

James

Is the top box on the K smaller than the large one on the RT then. I can get a full face helmet in my top box, you just lay the helmet on its side.

Must be, I tried messing around with it, and although you can sit two helmets side by side on their sides with the hole facing inwards to each other, the lid just doesn't close - which for a touring bike with a huge top box has to be a stupid design decision?

James

Must be, I tried messing around with it, and although you can sit two helmets side by side on their sides with the hole facing inwards to each other, the lid just doesn't close - which for a touring bike with a huge top box has to be a stupid design decision?

James

Strange, I can get two shoei neotec with bluetooth module on the sides in side by side. You do have to push the lid shut, but they do fit.

49ltr BMW top box (K1600 or 1200RT)
Remove the carpet and I can fit 2 x Arai full face helmets (RX7 and Quantum) both with plastic bits on top. No chance when carpeted.
And no, there's no way I'd spend 30k on a new 'wing with just a 2 year warranty either.
Have owned 2 x GL1500 and my current GL1800.
I've kept my '07 wing and bought a new R1200RT as well for a lot less than a part ex deal with the old 'wing for new would have fleeced me.
Reckon Honda have lost the plot with this new 'wing.

There’s a review of the new ‘wing in this month’s Bike magazine, available from WHSmith.

I’d not realised that the bike is limited to 115 mph.

There’s a review of the new ‘wing in this month’s Bike magazine, available from WHSmith.

Interesting - the bike's not about hitting high speeds like that anyway and I very rarely if ever exceed the national limit here in the UK.
I do recall though following a Range Rover on our '07 GL1800 in Germany at an indicated 125mph fully laden two up for a weeks tour and the Zumo 550 showed an actual 119mph - it was rock steady and not flat out - as the saying goes, the older I get, the faster I went. Nice to know my 'old' classic can show a clean pair of heels to the new pretender :)

That wouldn't necessarily bother me.

I sat on one (and made appropriate brrmm brrmm noises, obviously) when I went to test the NC750. It was very comfortable and with the DCT could be a really attractive proposition.

IF I had that much money to spend on a bike. Although If I did have that much to spend on a bike, there's plenty of other bikes in the queue.

This is also a pain on the K1600GTL - it has a decent sized top box - but just a half inch too low to get a full face lid in it, better still - 2. You can get one in each side pannier, but then you have to have it fully dressed for just days out, which you just have to live with as I ride 2 up 90% of the time.

I'll have to have a go on one, but at around 100hp compared to the 160 I have on the GTL I can't see me switching, the GTL is an awesome bike, it has it's flaws like all bikes, but that engine...……….:drool

James

I can get two full face helmets in My K1600GT top box. I have to put them on their side which means taking the intercoms off the side, but they fit in easily enough with no "forcing" of the lid. My helmet is an XL flip front so probably bigger than most.

Try them on their side, neck openings together, one facing forward, one facing backwards.

Took one out for a play today.
I would have liked to try the DCT but only a manual available.
Nice motor-goes very well and sounds amazing.More like a Porsche than a Honda.
But it’s bloody noisy with screen up sat at 75 mph with cruise on, something it should do with a gentle waft!!
Comfort was good but seat a bit low for me being 6’1”.
The handling is much improved over the outgoing model,with the new hossack-style front transforming it.

But it is missing something the previous model had and I can’t put my finger on it.

Nice bike but not for me.

ec48f7956d986125fe2a5c2c400bb223.jpg

08c012b3bc33b85681e28219fa8455c7.jpg

In my mind, this is a Pan European update... not a goldwing.

Wheres the technology on it???

It should be a materclass of innovation, not a regular touring bike with a £30,000 price tag.

It's certainly missing luggage space. Maybe someone can source some alternative lids, along the lines of BMW vario. Then there is the debate about the high price-point, that will only incentivise BMW to let K16's creep up still further too.

Bike suggest there may be a couple of wires that could be snipped/whatever to de-resrict the beast - seems a tad unlikely TBH, given todays electronics, but it would be nice to have the occasional 135mph/220kph available if Autobahns are on the agenda.

I've had quite a few wings over the years, started with GL1000 K2 in 1978, then a GL1100 plain jane, GL1200 Aspencade, GL1200 sidecar outfit, GL1500 and finally and by far the best of the bunch, my 05 GL1800, I kept that one for a number of years really liked it. The new one, as Arsey says, is missing something, I don't think it has the road presence of the earlier bikes. I've not ridden one as yet, but I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon...

Castle Honda have a demo for DCT demo for sale 1,000 mile £24,000,
Think these are more of a £20,000 bike, than a £30,000 bike

Would be better having a Trunk Monkey.

I imagine the pricing strategy for these top end bikes is less about getting an adequate return on development and production costs and more about "Let's charge as much as we can to maximise profits, and if it's too high for the market demand, we can always reduce it later." If they launched it at £20k and sold thousands, it's be way more difficult to bump the price up by five grand or more...

Also, maybe it makes the Pan European at fifteen grand look like a good deal by comparison - and that's probably at least as effective (and possibly more effective) for 99% of the time.

I am sure competitors with bikes that are sort of in the same market are watching closely. K1600 is closest competitor, but Harley and maybe Indian too?

Back
Top Bottom