New quiet tyres

Just changed from Karoo 3's which sounded like a duff bearing from 30mph onwards

Now on Avon trailriders - almost silent up to 70mph

Feel the road surface and catseyes more than the Karoo's but grip is great in the dry,

not explored the wet potential yet, can't say the thought of lobbing 250KG of bike into a wet

corner is appealing ;)

Just changed from Karoo 3's which sounded like a duff bearing from 30mph onwards

Now on Avon trailriders - almost silent up to 70mph

Feel the road surface and catseyes more than the Karoo's but grip is great in the dry,

not explored the wet potential yet, can't say the thought of lobbing 250KG of bike into a wet

corner is appealing ;)

Same daft old saying, never ride faster than your angel can fly, it actually makes sense.

Started with Anakee 3's then Bridgestones now on Tourance. At last a quiet tyre on a GSA LC ! Cheap as chips too at M&P

I'm with you on the Anakee 3's, noise has made me start using my earplugs again, can't fault them for grip tho..
back to Continue Trail attak shortly..

I can't say I've ever heard road noise for any tyre on any bike I've owned, I didn't think it was a bike thing - only cars?

james

Anakee 3s on my GS were very noisy and the front made a noise like a train wheel running on metal rails. My GS800 did the same and it drove me mad.

I've just changed the tyres on my 690 Duke to Bridestones and the front sounds similar to the Anakee 3 but not as loud.

Not sure why this is because I've used Bridgestones for many years on different bikes and none of them did this.

My mate has a Gs700 with Anakee on, no noise, my bike is a R1200 Gs Rallye 2017 & its noisey..
I think it's bike design more than tyre problem..

Untrue, the OEM Dunlops on my Africa Twin are shocking in wet weather

Trail smarts are a good tyre for err trails? You want a wet weather Road tyre buy one.

Have you fell off? Well then I suggest they are good enough.

Adventure bike with trail tyres will be good err adventuring off the beaten track.

If they are that bad why are they still on the bike? Because they aren't Bad, they are just not amazing.

Trail smarts are a good tyre for err trails? You want a wet weather Road tyre buy one.

Have you fell off? Well then I suggest they are good enough.

Adventure bike with trail tyres will be good err adventuring off the beaten track.

If they are that bad why are they still on the bike? Because they aren't Bad, they are just not amazing.

No, I have not fallen off the bike. Thanks to modern day electronics, the traction control system has saved most of the major slides. The fact that the traction control has activated several times on the three occasions that I have ridden the bike in the wet and that the TV on my GSA has not activated in the 18,000 miles tells me that the Dunlops are not performing as well as I would expect from a modern bike. The reason they are still on the bike is that it has covered 595 miles since collecting it less than two weeks ago, so I needed time to assess the capabilities of the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do people no longer buy tyres based on performance rather than noise? FFS :mcgun

I've used a variety of tyres on a selection of GS's and have always liked Tourance. The quietness was a most welcome bonus. On the GSA it seems to funnel noise from the tyres to the rider, the Anakees sound worse than any other. This is the only bike I've had where it was a problem.

There is certainly a bit of tyre noise from the Anakee 3 , however , I am sold on them
Went ,Scotland to the nkapp on a new set of rules Tourance in June, the rear Tourance was shot about 2/3 way back south in Norway.
Managed to get an A3 rear , it has done ,back home and has now run down to Greece n back and it looks like it still has many thousands left in it.
All that AND it works well on the GSA , seems to me quite good tyre so ,quite prepared to accept an extra wee bit of back ground sound :thumb2

There is certainly a bit of tyre noise from the Anakee 3 , however , I am sold on them
Went ,Scotland to the nkapp on a new set of rules Tourance in June, the rear Tourance was shot about 2/3 way back south in Norway.
Managed to get an A3 rear , it has done ,back home and has now run down to Greece n back and it looks like it still has many thousands left in it.
All that AND it works well on the GSA , seems to me quite good tyre so ,quite prepared to accept an extra wee bit of back ground sound :thumb2

Mine are the "original" tourances, always got circa 6k out of them on air cooled gs, the bridgestones they replaced did that as did the Anakees. No issue with grip on any of them, all good tyres just like a quieter life !

I went for Pirelli Scorpion Trail II

On our bad Norwegian roads the Anakee 3 on my R1200GS LC are silent the first 2500 km, after that they sounds like all bearings in the front of the bike needs replacement!

As we have a lot of wet / cold weather during our riding season, I read a lot of tests, and bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II.

A set are one beer cheaper than Anakee3, and compared to them "silent"!

The rear tyre lasts 3000 km longer than the Anakee 3 - front tyre similar to Anakee 3. In my opinion, no difference in grip on wet!

Anakee 3s noisy, PR4s not as noisy, but an LC does seem transmit quite a bit of noise from the front.

PR4 may not be as noisy as A3, but the PR4 front sets up a really bad cyclic vibration (Hamming? Hunting frequency?) through the bars, at lower-to mid 30's in 3rd. Just like a chain with a bad tight spot. I've experienced this on two LC GS's with three engines between them. My current 2017 bike didn't do it with the OEM A3 on the front until I put a PR4 on recently - and there it was.

No, I have not fallen off the bike. Thanks to modern day electronics, the traction control system has saved most of the major slides. The fact that the traction control has activated several times on the three occasions that I have ridden the bike in the wet and that the TV on my GSA has not activated in the 18,000 miles tells me that the Dunlops are not performing as well as I would expect from a modern bike. The reason they are still on the bike is that it has covered 595 miles since collecting it less than two weeks ago, so I needed time to assess the capabilities of the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I removed the Dunlop’s from my AT before the 600mile service for exactly the reasons you mention, the rear especIally was shockingly bad in the wet, I mean full traction control intervention when pulling away from a junction. Whilst this is an adventure bike tyre, it isn’t an off road tyre, in fact I would say maybe 90% road tyre.

I thought it was a bad road surface or white line but could replicate it easily almost anywhere in the wet, replaced with conti TA2 and very happy with it now.

Back
Top Bottom