New quiet tyres

Just fitted Metzeler Tourance Next tyres as they get better reviews than Roadtec after suffering 3 punctures in the first month! Thank god for tyre insurance! I had to say the Anakee 3 were terrible. Not very inspiring in wet, whereas the initial few miles on the Tourance Next I've been very impressed. They are expensive. But for the quality, quietness and feel I would seriously recommend them.

Ive used TOurance Originals on 1150GS, 1200GSes and GSA's and had no problem with them. It cost me @ £200 for my standard Tourance's including fitting, I am rather pleased with them.
I had a loaner standard GS yesterday with Anakee's on, even noisy on that!

Anakee 3s noisy, PR4s not as noisy, but an LC does seem transmit quite a bit of noise from the front.

The GSA is noisier than the GS regardless of tyre. Probably a combination of many factors but I guess aero differences and cast vs spoken rims. Regarding tyres, I've had a 2013 GS LC which spent it's entire life on Tourance Next (love them). When I got the GSA TB with Anakees I was amazed how much extra road noise there was. I've just this week had a new pair of Tourance Next put on my 2nd GSA LC which was previously on Roadtec 01's. The noise from the Roadtec 01 and the Tourance Next are about the same but they're definitely quieter than the Anakees when comparing like for like.

Oh yeah and forget about the noise anyway, the Anakees are fucking shite across surface changes and in the wet.

At last a quiet tyre on a GSA LC

Whenever I see this kind of statement, it smells of Bum Hole Talk.

You'd be hard pushed to hear a fcuking Elephant fart or did Rolls Royce make the engine for your GS?

I've stayed out of this argument since as far as I WAS concerned the noise coming up from the gap between the screen and tank was engine noise and those advocates of the belief that the noise reduced when they changed from Anakee 3s were dreaming...HOWEVER, this morning I was riding along accompanied by the noise and suddenly it stopped!! I had just moved onto a fresh stretch of tarmac recently laid to reduce noise for the locals. Logic therefore tells me that if it was engine noise I would still hear it irrespective of the road surface, but no I didn't. Therefore I belatedly conclude that the noise I normally hear is the tyre reacting to the various road surfaces.
I can't say that my Anakee 3s are any worse than other tyres reacting to the road surface since I haven't tried any different tyre but the noise is primarily tyre/road reaction and not engine noise.
Those who have changed tyres and noticed a drop in noise will already know this is a tyre/road reaction. I have now joined that camp.

I have a 2017 bike, with the redesigned beak, and I'm sure it's quieter. I took an RT out on a long test on Sunday and was surprised at how much better the engine sounded, when it didn't have to compete with so much wind noise.

Anakee's off, Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on, prior to bike collection.

Road tyres on a road (in my case) bike :thumb

Anakee's off, Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on, prior to bike collection.

Road tyres on a road (in my case) bike :thumb

A friend of mine and myself have had them our bikes for a couple of thousand miles now.
I am interested to hear your thoughts on the roadsmarts when you have run them for a few miles.

A friend of mine and myself have had them our bikes for a couple of thousand miles now.

Do you mean the OEM Anakee 3's?

I've applied a simple (to me) logic that as a road bike it needs road tyres.

I'm sure that all the top manufacturers sports touring tyres are very good - I just chose Dunlops as I liked the dual compound construciton - time will tell :thumb

Back
Top Bottom