R1200RT LC Oil Change service (NOT an oil Thread !!) may save a few ££

Cortina

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now that my RT has passed the two years old mark ... (ie out of warranty) ... time to start my own servicing. The 6000 miles interval service is a simple one (in my case being done with 18500 miles on clock) . The only item changed is oil and filter ... rest is checking / inspecting.
Options are : Pay BMW circa £150 to £200 ?? , go buy their oil and filter and do it yourself (£80 to £85 for stuff) .... or there is a Third option Malhe (spelling ??) Filter - in this case an OC 619 from local Motorfactor for £7.00 , and oil to meet the BMW requested spec - again local motorfactor : Silkoline Pro 4+ 5W 40 ... for just less than £50 (suspect some can get this for even less ... Motorworks had it better , but postage killed that one for me)
So ... this may help someone ... or it may not ! (Clearly having a part share in a GS911 to check for fault codes / reset service indicator helps ............... but you could argue, non essential)

I buy the Castrol Power 1 4T oil on EBAY which is around £30 for four litres. If the bike/car is still under guarantee I buy genuine filters but if they aren't, I use a decent one also bought of EBAY.

Quite like working on my bikes and cars and save a fortune + the hassle of taking/collecting them from the dealer.

Don't be frightened of changing brake fluid or checking the valve clearances on a boxer engine. It really isn't any big deal to do even if you have to change shims.

For BMW LC 1200 2014 (TE) which seems to be the same for an oil change

Mahle OC619 appers to be the OEM for the BMW filter and around £15.
The Hiflow HF160 appears to be an equal high quality alternative at £7 or the upgrade HF 160RC at £10 offers triple filtration and an integral nut on the underside to make fitting & removal easier without a filter wrench.

The Air filter (for the GS) appears to be a HFA7915 for around £14 of Malhle LX3595 for £15 but I haven't yet fitted these and simply cleaned off my still good existing filer and will replace it mid next year along with spark plugs. A £6 tool (Laser 5032) is needed for the spark plug (reference needed?) plus a deep socket if you don't have. ( i don't yet know the size)

For Oil I went for the Motul 7100 from Opie oils in the handbook spec and using the UKGSERS discount at checkout. (£30/£40 from memory) I bought two as I was expecting to use over 4L, but found 4L dead filled it perfectly - with non for top up.

An oil filter tool is not strictly necessary due to improved access from the air cooled model , however for £3 you may wish to invest in a 76mm 14 flat end cap oil filter tool from ebay to help set correct torque the new one.

Don't forget the final drive oil - whilst your at it. A £10 investment in the Castrol from Opie will last many years - grade is in your handbook /Haynes manual. Mine LC final drive has a drain and refill access making the job easy. I believe some earlier GS's only had a fill making it a more involved job to change the oil.

Happy to post the crush washer sizes if anyone needs them of cant find the required detail from previous threads - also I can provide similar detail for the air cooled (2010) if required.

Basically £50 to £60 for a regular oil & filter service plus plugs (?) and air filter (£14) as required.

Don't forget to check the parts above fit your bike as this is an RT Thread - I just thought the alternative part numbers for the OC619 my be may be helpful and kept going.

Alan there is a benefit in getting a Vat registered Independent to do the service using OE parts and OE spec Oil

at least then you can go back to BM for problems if you take the extended warranty ???

Otherwise Get Tore in

Alan there is a benefit in getting a Vat registered Independent to do the service using OE parts and OE spec Oil

at least then you can go back to BM for problems if you take the extended warranty ???

Otherwise Get Tore in

There would be if I was ... but I'm not. Far too expensive for what it is . These things should go on for decades if properly looked after , and if something goes bang in the next few years , Mr BMW will be hearing from me , warranty or no warranty !

PS to Mario : Final drive oil is every 12,000 miles , and at £15 for a OC619 ... you are paying more than double the cost.

Alan, Nigel in A & R carparts in Ledcom can get you Mahle filters

Personally I would not a fit Hi-Flo to a lawnmower never mind a £15 K plus motorcycle!

I do the FD every service just for the fact that they were so problematic on the Hex heads and its only "about" 200cc

I hope your later one is a better build

A & R carparts
Unit 56 Ledcom Industrial Estate
BT40 3AW Larne
028 2827 3485

Back
Top Bottom