Long weekend suggestions

Jallani

Reaction score
Hey all - not sure this is the correct place to post but looking for some suggestions from my UKGSer compatriots. I've been given a 3 day weekend pass to go ride my GS in October. Anyone have any suggestions that don't involve 600+ miles of riding in a day?

Ideally, somewhere to do some walking / R&R too so it feels like a break rather than 3 days of solid riding. Considering camping if not raining or gail force winds! Have previously ridden to Snowdon\Brecon, Lake District and not considering north of the Border due to the mileage. I could venture into northern France but requires slightly more planning, which don't really want to bother with for a short blast. I live in the South East of the UK.

Any suggestions or recommendations most welcome.

Cheers,
Jay

Chunnel and head over into Belgium.
Stay at the Bikers Loft on a weekend they have one of the live bands on.
Parking is indoors next to their museum bikes, all rooms around that.
Bar has greenhouses INSIDE with extractors and speakers for those who pollute...
huge stage and acts from the US, Canada, etc on a regular basis.
Riders come there form Holland, France and others to see the bands.

https://sites.google.com/grd.be/eng

Anyone asking for suggestions and advice on what to do with their leisure time should have that time removed permanently.

And then be shot.

Then stabbed.

Then set on fire.

Then shot again.

Hey all - not sure this is the correct place to post but looking for some suggestions from my UKGSer compatriots. I've been given a 3 day weekend pass to go ride my GS in October. Anyone have any suggestions that don't involve 600+ miles of riding in a day?

Cheers,
Jay

Get a divorce/backbone and ride your bike whenever YOU want to ?

Bar has greenhouses INSIDE with extractors and speakers for those who pollute...

I fancy that myself, thanks

3 days/ 2 nights? Maybe do a tour of the West Country. Stay in a couple of nice pubs, stick to the back lanes each day, you’ll have a ball.

3 days/ 2 nights? Maybe do a tour of the West Country. Stay in a couple of nice pubs, stick to the back lanes each day, you’ll have a ball.

Thanks Nutty - sensible suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - looks interesting, shall investigate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's several threads on what to do for three days in France and / or Belgium. Read them.... if not, do as Tarka suggests.

PS Take no notice of Arsey; he regularly asks for routes. Though, to be fair, he does share them, too.

PPS Aw, feck it... Just go to the RiDE website. More routes than you can shake a stick at. Simon W, has written a book on the UK ones, too.

If the weather is good, the Scottish Borders are fantastic. Base yourself in the Moffat area and you can run out both ways. Also plenty of good walks.

Crawley to Moffat is not my idea of fun, (though I appreciate its worthwhile after the 400 mile slog .....)

Jay; if you have any "military/history" interests.... Chunnel, then Normandy battlefields/Pegasus bridge etc etc

Fabulous villages, great riding and plenty of coffee/lunch opportunities mixed in with short "legs" ( no 300+ mile blasts)

I know you said (No France) but From Crawley it's a no-brainer. Warmer than Scotland too !

GPX for Simon Weir's ride aroun Caen here;

http://www.ride.co.uk/upload/298705/GPX files/08 Caen.GPX.zip

NW France....
:D Great roads & little traffic
:D Loads of Military places to visit (as mentioned)
:D Plenty of places for food, drink & digs

A quick look on google maps will give you some waypoint towns & away you go.

Simon Wier's "Biker's Britain - The Tours" is only £2.99 on Amazon at the moment (I paid £3.99 for mine not long back!). Short on detail beyond the routes themselves, but it does have a very varied selection of great rides, gives you a decent idea of timings and doesn't take up too much room. For the money, it might be a good place to start.

NW France....
:D Great roads & little traffic
:D Loads of Military places to visit (as mentioned)
:D Plenty of places for food, drink & digs

Or miss all of that and follow Nutty from Motorrad dealer to Motorrad dealer while staring at a blank sat nav,to a soundtrack of Bonnie Tyler.

Fixed for accuracy.

How about a trip to Southwold in Suffolk.

From Crawley bite the bullet of the M25, get off at 28 (A12), and thread your way through some stunning Essex B roads to Finching Field for a tea stop, on to Sudbury to the adventure bike warehouse, and then on to either the Crown or the Swan in Southwold for two nights.

Great beaches and the area is good for walking, or more riding / site seeing; a trip to Snape Maltings? Aldeburgh .. ?

You must be able to get to the tunnel in an hour from Crawley :thumb

Make the most of your 3 days and go the night before after work. Off the train turn right and 20 mins later check into your pre-booked hotel in Wissant. We're coming into good seafood season so it's a fruits de mer and a bottle of muscadet.

Wake up in the morning and you will already have been in France and on holiday for 11 hours - that's turning a 3 day pass into 4 and it will feel like a week :thumb

Enjoy

I'd pop down to Devon and Exmoor. I was there walking last weekend and although it was a brilliant weekend and there was some great walks, I really wanted to take the GS and ride some of the great back roads. Just trying to persuade the latest squeeze that it's a perfect weekend.

I'd say it was a great place to combine the riding and walking and there are some great pubs to stay in and enjoy.

How about a trip to Southwold in Suffolk.

From Crawley bite the bullet of the M25, get off at 28 (A12), and thread your way through some stunning Essex B roads to Finching Field for a tea stop, on to Sudbury to the adventure bike warehouse, and then on to either the Crown or the Swan in Southwold for two nights.

Great beaches and the area is good for walking, or more riding / site seeing; a trip to Snape Maltings? Aldeburgh .. ?

You've overlooked the only decent thing in Suffolk :blast the Adnams brewery :beer:

Has the OP reached a decision? Has his October pass expired? Is he, even as we speak, hooning in an awesome fashion, man and steed in perfect harmony? I think we should be told.

Anyone asking for suggestions and advice on what to do with their leisure time should have that time removed permanently.

And then be shot.

Then stabbed.

Then set on fire.

Then shot again.

You are att and I claim my £5.

Back
Top Bottom