Electrical Gremlins

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Lamp F warning on but the lights are working fine, no blown bulb and indicators are randomly switching themselves on but flash at twice the rate, any ideas whats going on here? 2010 GSA TC.

Faulty bulb holders or faulty bulbs with loose filaments will cause the canbus to indicate faults. If you have LED indicator bulbs, check the ballast resistors are connected properly.

The tail lamp units used to corrode inside and give a bad earth and they "leaked" volts through other circuits

I'd say check the bulb holders for corrosion and also is the front side lamp working (they are so fecking small they are easily missed!)

Edit Just remembered do you have HID lamps fitted?? There was something about dodgy ballasts affecting electronics if I recall correctly :rob

I had a persistent connection fault on my HID. One connector would shake loose causing a LampF error but I never found which one. Disconnecting to check "fixed" the fault.

Electrics are all standard, nothing has been added or taken away so no HIDs etc.

Check your rear tail lamp -
l
Its a double fillament one blows and the lectrickery does its magic - reduces the power to the other fillament by 50% (lights) When you brake it applys 100% power and it goes bright (brakes)

Caught me out the first time

I had something like this on the small side light bulb in the headlight. It failed and gave me the error, then it fused the loose part of the filament back to itself and continued to operate on and off for a while. The dealers explained what had happened and replaced it, pretty cheap fix :)

Check your rear tail lamp -
l
Its a double fillament one blows and the lectrickery does its magic - reduces the power to the other fillament by 50% (lights) When you brake it applys 100% power and it goes bright (brakes)

Caught me out the first time

"Should" show LampR for a tail lamp fault

When I stripped my bike's back end to have the frame powder coated, the tail light brackets were a right old mess of rust. I caught it in time but only just.

"Should" show LampR for a tail lamp fault

Indeed it should but it didnt! lol

it showed lampF so i came out stupidly early one morning and changed both headlamp bulbs ..

It still showed lampF

When i got home i read up, and it said about the reason for no fuses etc.

Checked the rear, and one filament blown

Changed it and LAMPF no longer displayed

For me, it shows LAMPF no matter which end has a duff bulb

For me, it shows LAMPF no matter which end has a duff bulb

I must stick a duff bulb in mine just to see

I recall something telling you front or rear when my tail lamp failed (probably due to the water getting in after the lens fell off!! Screws were still there with bits of red plastic)

If the bike was built for an LED light, the bulb will cause a LampF error. The ECU has to be updated.

I'm away from home at the moment so not had a chance to get in about the bike yet, will up date as and when I get it sorted. Believe my rear light is LED by the way as are the indicators. Will start with a new front bulb the current one works fine but was a cheap Lidl one, so may help with a new quality item, but will also look at the security of the fitting.

Thanks to all for the advice and response so far.

Some bikes had full LED rear lights. Some had normal bulb rear lights.
The ECU works with either but has to be electronically reset or a LampF error comes up.
If it’s the bulb type they can corrode and cause errors.

To bring closure to my error earlier Its because my bike tells me which end the failure is at

I get a noticeable LCD bulb "picture" and to the side of it an arrow pointing forward or rear depending which end is out

So lampF on the later bikes is just a bulb failure rather than Lamp F"ront" or LampR"ear" as I thought it was (not having a later bike and all that :rob

Update

Thanks to all for the input; I have now traced the fault to the rear left indicator and indeed when I attached the right indicator to the left side connector as a test; all works as it should and the LampF warning clears. The bike has LED Indicators and rear light, so clearly the LampF warning comes up for a failure of any of these, which led me to look at the headlight as the culprit. The LEDs in the indicator have failed, one does not work at all, the other is a faint steady glimmer that is nearly noticeable. New one now on order from Motorworks, strangely they only have second hand fronts but no rears? A good clean of the area now required and an application of AFC50 whilst its apart and I should be good to go.

Now I'm mentioning this I'll get trouble, but my ordinary bulb type indicators have been fine. Not bad for a 2008. The chances are your old indicators have cracked solder joints or possibly corrosion. Nothing to lose having furtle about with a magnifying glass. If they can be opened of course. ;)

Back
Top Bottom