16,000 mile service costs for DCT

When I was looking for a bike for long distance commuting I walked away from Honda. Valve checks every 16000 were at least £500 on top of the other service costs. Don’t do it = no warranty. No worries though they never need adjustments.
Oh thanks.
I was close to a deal with a BMW 1150 but work changed so the bike purchase stayed on hold.

When I was looking for a bike for long distance commuting I walked away from Honda. Valve checks every 16000 were at least £500 on top of the other service costs. Don’t do it = no warranty. No worries though they never need adjustments.
Oh thanks.
I was close to a deal with a BMW 1150 but work changed so the bike purchase stayed on hold.

Too true

Service costs and complexity like that are bonkers - especially when compared to Honda cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Yamaha 900 was very light on valve seats. 8 valves (relatively heavy valves), 95RON petrol no knock sensor (valves run hotter) had its clearances checked at 70K miles. One exhaust valve was tiny bit below minimum. After swapping shims I only needed to replace two and all were midway within limits.
That’s pretty low valve seat wear by any measure. Yet it’s supposed to be checked every 16K miles. But it’s an easy job - rocker cover is off in a few minutes. Tank would already be off for carb checks.

I generally split the difference between not checking valves, and checking them on schedule.
With the AT as long as it's running and starting well, I'll probably wait until 24k then have them checked and set in the middle. Basically do the 16k at 24.

They generally don't change much after the initial set (until they start wearing out) so after that probably not again unless I keep it past 60k which I doubt.

Oil every 5k regardless.

Too true

Service costs and complexity like that are bonkers - especially when compared to Honda cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try doing something as simple as changing the spark plugs on an inline 4 1000cc sports bike , ZX10R for example . You'd need to remove bodywork , tank , airbox etc drain the coolant and remove the rad. On some bikes you might need to remove the injectors or perhaps do something radical like drop the engine slightly to make it easier.

I was pretty peeved about the 16k service costs on my CT as I thought it was only the smaller 800 V4 that cost a bomb. That one service has cost me the same as 3 for the Guzzi .

I've just had a 16000 service on my DCT, by my local Honda dealer. Dropped off at 09:00, had a call to say it was ready at 14:00. It doesn't look very much like the cam cover has been touched. They forgot to stamp the book, but have ticked off all the service items as done. So less than 5 hours to do 8 hours work. I don't thinks so.

I've just had a 16000 service on my DCT, by my local Honda dealer. Dropped off at 09:00, had a call to say it was ready at 14:00. It doesn't look very much like the cam cover has been touched. They forgot to stamp the book, but have ticked off all the service items as done. So less than 5 hours to do 8 hours work. I don't thinks so.

I would be asking for the valve check measurements. There must be many instances where valve checks are overlooked because checking them is so time consuming and difficult to do and often no adjustments are necessary. The other concern is disturbing so many complex systems to get the valve cover off.

In busy periods, I would think many workshops simply don't have the time to do it strictly by the book. No problem if they don't charge for it but very wrong if they do

Get the book stamped.
If the garage say they did the work, as it should be done, any further issues will be covered by the warranty. Providing you produce the evidence that you have stuck to the servicing schedule they can’t argue.

It’s very easy to do 8 hours in 5. Simply use 2 technissions. JJH

In all, it took me 11.5 hours to strip and build my AT down and up for my valve check plus an hour for a chum to check the valves. I’m no trained mechanic (and wasn't rushing anything) and although I have the big service manual to guide me, it’s still a time consuming job. I removed the rads as well as the sages say it’s easier to get to the valves with them out of the way, but probably the Honda mechanics don’t do this. My dealer reckons their lads can do the service in 9 hours (AFAIK, Honda say it’s an 11 hour job), but they like it left overnight so that the valves are being done on a cold engine. Oh, and all were within spec @ 18k miles.

Attachments

• A74A3F43-7526-4B00-BD49-2529BE52916C.jpg
    A74A3F43-7526-4B00-BD49-2529BE52916C.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 517
  • C5DFA67A-8039-41BC-9A84-A53A2C159FFF.jpg
    C5DFA67A-8039-41BC-9A84-A53A2C159FFF.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 519
  • 6B5FA292-DE06-4777-8E6C-5975978353D0.jpg
    6B5FA292-DE06-4777-8E6C-5975978353D0.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 520
  • 197637EE-C1BF-4114-9F7F-A2BD3F29CA0B.jpg
    197637EE-C1BF-4114-9F7F-A2BD3F29CA0B.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 511
I'd probably have a go at doing it myself, just because you can do a deep clean at the same time.

I'd probably swap all the coolant hoses over for some fancy ones at the same time.

I'd paid for a service package from Honda when I bought the bike, so £675 for First Service 8K and 16K. I get that the valves are probably all within tolerance. I wouild have no problem with being told we just didn't have time so, either come back or will refund you. But I stressed that I was not in a hurry to get the bike back.

Back
Top Bottom