Luxembourg - A day getting there, two days' riding and a day to get back

Wapping

Reaction score
This month's Ride magazine (dated November, though we are in October) has a pretty good suggestion for a short break, starting and ending in Calais.

Pick up a copy in WH Smiths and download the routes from RiDE's website, as usual.

If nothing else, it might help bods answer their their plea of, "I've got four days off, where can I go?"

PS Before anyone moans, yes the suggestion does put forward using motorways from Calais to Luxembourg and back again. This is sometimes seen as a heresy. It's simply done as the idea is to get bods (on an unknown timetable, of unknown ability and confidence levels) to Luxembourg - for two days of good riding - and back as quickly as possible. Anyone and everyone can find an alternative non-motorway route, if they put their minds to it and / or have enough time available to ride it.

Scroll down to post #5

I've popped into Luxembourg a few times on the way further south - as Bike point out, you can get there pretty quickly by motorway through France & Belgium. They are toll free and provide an alternative to the French Péage to get to the Vosges or Black Forest. Fill up with fuel as it is really cheap compared to France & Belgium.

Last year I introduced some friends to Luxembourg over Easter. They universally approved of the place, having had negative stereotypes of the place beforehand. We stayed in Clervaux (Hotel des Nations) and used this as a base to explore. Not sure where Ride recommends as a base as their Motogoloco map is not loading - presumably overwhelmed with requests.

I'm looking at another trip next Spring, either using Vianden or somewhere near Remich on the Moselle as a base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't dismiss staying in Luxembourg City itself.
Had a night there this year on the way back from Germany.
The city is built on two levels with the old town accessed by steep steps/road or an elevator !!
Loads of bars and full of character.

lower-part-of-the-grund-luxembourg-city-old-town-with-river-alzette-ege80w.jpg

Ive just had 5 days at Clervaux (Luxembourg) staying here as our base, the surrounding roads are exceptional, we also did some of the ride mag routes and if you feel like a run down the mosel to cochem or the ring than its only a short distance away, we opted for a non motorway route out of zebrug to the hotel so everything is possible.

Link below for hotel, underground secure car park with hot wash facility i.e. hose pipe connected to hot tap if you feel the need to wash your bike, food was exceptional and the pool and sauna was a great way to chill after a full day on the bikes.

www.koenerclervaux.lu

This family-run hotel is centrally located in the pedestrian zone in the center of Clervaux and has been owned by the Koener family since 1886. With 45 rooms, the "Chloé's" restaurant, a brasserie, an inviting outdoor terrace, enclosed garage and much more, it offers all the amenities that will make your stay in Luxembourg an unforgettable experience. However, the highlight of our 3-star hotel is the 800 m2 relaxation and wellness area with its sauna world, a fitness room, a relaxation room, a wellness boutique, its swimming pool and the Espace Thalgo.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a prize waiting for the first bikermate who asks, "Where can me an' me five mates go?" thread....

I stopped off in Luxembourg for a few hours on my way to Italy a few years ago.
It had the highest concentration of stunning women I've seen anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom