Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to buy?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by beaver View Post
    LOL.. the size of their showroom says it all for me... how much are they in there?... scared to even go in the place

may have a trip to Grahams though....
    they have a few for 9k but there must be about 20 in stock. Each one has a finance print on it, some are about £100 a month from memory. Try one at least, trust me in a different league imho , rev happy and with 120bhp, and they would toast any bandit over most roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie3264 View Post
    Hi.. I can't get on the for sale section.. not enough posts / not subscribed yet... do you have contact details so I can mail / txt you?.. Not sure if you can send me a PM??

Hi.. I can't get on the for sale section.. not enough posts / not subscribed yet... do you have contact details so I can mail / txt you?.. Not sure if you can send me a PM??
    It’s twelve quid!

Surely worth it, before you spend thousands on the wrong bike?

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Beaver,

Oilhead (1100&1150) prices are all over the place (some of it is folkes chancing their arm over pricing), you pay a premium for an adventure version which can get you a 30l tank, taller suspension a lower 1st and lower 6th (which makes motorway cruising noiser and more vibey).
    The screen is different but still crap unless you fit tobinators and a different seat.
    The 1150 is a "charming" bike if taken in context against other newer machinery, as an everyday hack it will do that amicably. Your 4k budget will get you a very nice 02 single spark non servo abs model. The only real weak spot is the final drive bearing which can fail at some point around 50-70K but thats not a given. The paint on the front of the engine casing and on the heads can crack and peel. I personally think the 1150 adventure is not worth the premium they command from purely a pragmatic point of view.
    Avoid the Servo if you can, there have been suffen failiures, its easy to remove and convert to non abs with no real drawbacks.

I'd have another 1150 Gs to blat round on for fun in addition to the one I have lugging the sidecar if its wasnt for practical reasons not to.
    I do love mine but its old and antiquated now and belongs in that catagory (for the enthusiast). More modern machinery is just better in terms of riders experience.

I'd also look at the F800 as well.

The 1200 is the technically better bike, lighter, more economical, more power but lacks some of the oil heads charm, if you never ridden an oilhead you dont really know what your missing so go straight for the 1200.

If you can stretch to it, I'd go for a 1200GSA providing the saddle isnt too tall. The larger tank gives better weather protection and a 350mile tank range. Its debatable again whether the adventure is worth the premium over the standard GS. I personally like to ride in a bubble similar to that you get with a full on tourer so for me the GSA makes more sense.

One thing I can tell you is after the bandit you will hate the 1150GS when you first ride it and it will feel wheezy and awkward, its a grower, stick with it if you get one.

Best bang for buck for me would have to be a twin cam. Very sorted bike, plenty of power, lighter than the 1150 and a fair bit cheaper than a WC

Toast a Bandit... have you been on one?.. mind you, mine is 118 at the rear wheel

Not great with finance.. rather buy TBH.. the though of paying each month X£ and the thing in the garage depreciating every month by X£...

I get enough of that with my Land Rover....

I did try... but didn't work ... although it did take the £12 (now re-funded).. will give it another bash...

Yes.. thanks for that summary.. having had a go on a 1150, I was very dispointed... I'm sure the R100RS i had years ago was quicker?
    I guess I have come to a similar conclusion and I'm now looking a 2010 twin cams up to the WC...
    Are there any issues with these at all to check out... looks like you can get a low miles one for £5500 ish

got to say, the can-bus and other gizmo's still don't float my boat??

Ooops.. that should say £6500 before you all get upset

I wouldn't discount pre-TC bikes. Plenty of 08/09 bikes about and definitely within your budget.

I just get the impression they are a bit lacking?.. but still 105 HP I think?.. what are the TC's.. 110 HP.. in the real world can you tell the diferance?

In the real world, no. I have had an 08 and a 12. Both have been on the dyno at Hilltop for a remap. Before and after graphs were pretty much the same as each other. In some ways the older bike was nicer to ride. Although in principle I would agree that the latest bike you can afford is the way to go, you might find a better bike if you are prepared to be flexible. Lots of bikes out there, and now is a good time to buy!

Okay. thanks for that.. May be worth getting something like a garage queen 2008 if there is not much in it.. and can you then tune it with chips / injectors etc to make it a bit better?..

Okay. thanks for that.. May be worth getting something like a garage queen 2008 if there is not much in it.. and can you then tune it with chips / injectors etc to make it a bit better?..
    Just my opinion but..........
    If you're looking for a fast exciting bike then don't bother buying a GS and spending a load of money trying to make it into something it's not.
    A GS is not a fast bike it is however, a bike that can be ridden fast. It is a bike that is more than the sum of its parts but it takes a little time to find this out so patience is the key.

My initial thoughts are.........buy a decent 1100 with a good after market exhaust and panniers for around 2.5, then fit a gsjohn chip. Ride it for a year and see how you feel, then if you're hit by the GS bug you will know what GS you want. If you want to sell the 1100 (you may not want to ) you'll probably get what you paid for it.
    Good luck

yes.. get your point... but I have had R100rs's before... for many years and many miles having done a lot of touring all over Europe and into Asis when I was a few years younger... the old RS was great and you could tour on it easy doing 500 miles a day... put a tall tank bag on there and you can't get much more confort... in fact, once when I had man-flu, I was going to Le Manns on the RS.. and I actualy fell asleep for a few seconds... one minute the bus in front was 100 mtrs away, next thing I know, I'm 6' off the back ans swerving left (in France) to miss it... now that sure wakes you up LOL..... needless to say, I stopped and had a rest / coffee...
    But having tried a 1150gs the other day.. I was not impressed at all?... maybe it was not working right or something.. but my 1979 RS would have had more poke?... is this correct??

I know they are not sports bikes, and its the roll-on / roll-off aspect of the boxer I like... but that said, I don't think I could get on with them anything like the one I tried... I'm guessing there must have been a problem with it. With a few years on my clock now, even my 1200 Bandit and its sit up position is giving me a bit of greaf... so I do need the more relaxed boxer ride... just wish I knew someone local who would let me have a go.. i could go to a dealers and have a ride on a LC... but how much better are they than the hex head or TC?

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I don't think I could get on with them anything like the one I tried... I'm guessing there must have been a problem with it.
    Possibly, that doesnt sound like an oilhead usually plenty of grunt from 2k, should definately feel faster than the R100.

If the tappets and throttle balance havent been done for a while that could explain the flat performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast