Swithering

Big Jets

Reaction score
Heading down to Northern Spain next August on my old trusty (2001) 1150 ,just turning 50,000 miles ,Mates are all on modern stuff Katooms ,and DL,s and a couple of they new fangled 1200 gs,s.I'm in a bit of a quandry stick or twist bike wise. 1200 gs around 2008 2010 what should I be looking for at what price ,dealer prices don't give you much of a clue .Or steer clear .:beerjug:

Your 1150 will do the same job
Save your cash unless you feel a desperate need to swap

Yep can’t see the reason to change unless it is you just fancy a change . Ridden in Spain myself on an 1150 can’t see that there will be a problem with the bike company you describe

It's a tough one. Been through the pain of thinking lots about this myself. So much so, I'm about to make the switch to 1200 TC. I do hope I'm doing the right thing!

My thinking is, if you're OK with the spanners and maintenance, the 1150 is probably worth sticking with. It'll go on forever. This matches me and i love looking after it. But I've had to admit that i just don't have the time anymore.

For the 1150s performance, it is a bit overweight, but it never fails to leave me grinning. If you're chasing down mates on modern bikes, it'll highlight its age. But it was never really aimed at competing with the Jap bikes. And despite all the funny noises (i can't hear them any more ) they just continue to work.

If you decide to switch, then i think a late twin cam is what to look for. Depending on where you look, prices range a lot from 5.5k to 10k. Depends on your wallet i guess.

I'm sure others will be along with some thoughts. There's a lot of affection for the 1150, that i share myself. So expect some very clear thinking

Most definitely stick.... Be an individual amid a sea of high-tech conformity.
Proud to charge your characterful mount across the Iberian Peninsular amongst others on their passionless undistinguished steeds.
You will be a beacon of untrammelled enthusiasm on the highway. God's speed.

Most definitely stick.... Be an individual amid a sea of high-tech conformity.

Proud to charge your characterful mount across the Iberian Peninsular amongst others on their passionless undistinguished steeds.

You will be a beacon of untrammelled enthusiasm on the highway.

God's speed.

I think that just about sums it up and probably why I ride one

Last month I did 2100 miles across Europe on mine and it did everything I asked of it, up hill and down dale

Yep it's not the fastest, but now I don't want to go fast, probably never did.............it's a good,solid machine with some character and then some

Do I want TFT screens/ESA/Cornering ABS/traction control and and all the other malarkey, nope

I just want the bike, to be a bike................:thumby:

It sounds like you have already made your mind up...........

Personally, I would stick.

I ride with two mates who both have R1200GS LC adventures. I can keep up no problems on my 1150, even when loaded. Sure they would probably loose me on a race track, but normal roads generally don't allow fast top speed. I get ribbed a lot for sticking with the old technology, but I wonder how many of the latest crop of bikes will reach middle age. At 14 years old my bike can still rock and deliver smiles and it's done Berlin, Austria, the Massif Central (France) , and the wild Atlantic way (Ireland). Never missed a beat.

:thumb2
Ian

I like your train of thought chaps ,funnily enough I was looking at a nice 1100 the other day with 20 000 on the clock and thinking there,s the bike for you there. Cheers (along way to go to next August all the same):D

Swithering, well there's a new verb to add to the collection:thumb2. I still have my trusty 1150 which I bought new in 2001, let your mates whizz away on their new fangled stuff till their hearts content, you'll get there just the same, may be a minute or two after them but you will have enjoyed the peace and serenity only an old companion can offer!Cheers:beerjug:John B

I like riding around even through the winter. The old 1150gsa bought in early 2003 is still giving me thrills. Can you go further or faster on a 1200, not really.
I preferred to keep my oil head and bought an Electra glide as well for those sunny gay days on the highways. Also scrapes well on the country bends.
For the amount they are selling for now, it is not worth getting rid off.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Stick with the 1150 for travel but maybe get yourself a supermoto of some sort for the days that you want to be less 'sensible' :rolleyes:

To put it into perspective, on the way back from Spain a few years ago I was 85mph down the centre of France trying to rack up a few miles. I passed a guy on a virago doing 60ish. An hour later I stopped for a piss a couple of ciggies and fuel. Just lighting cig your number 2 and virago man pulls up. I left before him, yet at the next fuel stop the same happened again.

Moral number 2. In the Alps on my old Dakar 650, loaded up and waiting for an overtake on a wobblybox. Two German Ducati came flying past totally blind on the overtake. I intercom wifey who is following on her transalp 'I'm going for a play' says I. The overtake appears and I'm off after the 2 Ducatis for a giggle. A nice twisty road and even the best sportsbike is limited to hitting 80 on the short straight bits. I wring the neck of the Dakar and catch up with them as they are hanging off through the bends. After several miles of pushing them up the road they waved me past! I declined the overtake, I'd had my fun, and created a memory to savour. I worked that bike hard and I had a feckin ball doing it. I bet their ride is long forgotten now.

Having more does not always equal more, it's the way you get there that really matters and creates the tales to tell your mates and kids.

To put it into perspective, on the way back from Spain a few years ago I was 85mph down the centre of France trying to rack up a few miles. I passed a guy on a virago doing 60ish. An hour later I stopped for a piss a couple of ciggies and fuel. Just lighting cig your number 2 and virago man pulls up. I left before him, yet at the next fuel stop the same happened again.

Moral number 2. In the Alps on my old Dakar 650, loaded up and waiting for an overtake on a wobblybox. Two German Ducati came flying past totally blind on the overtake. I intercom wifey who is following on her transalp 'I'm going for a play' says I. The overtake appears and I'm off after the 2 Ducatis for a giggle. A nice twisty road and even the best sportsbike is limited to hitting 80 on the short straight bits. I wring the neck of the Dakar and catch up with them as they are hanging off through the bends. After several miles of pushing them up the road they waved me past! I declined the overtake, I'd had my fun, and created a memory to savour. I worked that bike hard and I had a feckin ball doing it. I bet their ride is long forgotten now.

Having more does not always equal more, it's the way you get there that really matters and creates the tales to tell your mates and kids.

Wise words mate. :thumb2

I had a great holiday on my 1200 to the Alps, came back and decided to get rid of it in favour of an 1150. I'm much happier with the older bike. It's much more fun.

In Spain Now

Hey Big Jets,
Down in Northern Spain And Portugal with the wife at the moment - ferry home tomorrow.
I'm on my 2001 1150GS - which I bought new, and it turned over the 208,000 a few days ago!!! - still running sweet and handles superbly on the stunning roads here.
So, at 50,000 I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cheers......Grizzly

Stick with the 1150, Mines done 90,000 brought a 1200 (2008) few years ago don't like it so will get rid of love the old tractor which has seen much of the world without a prob, ( apart from prangs!!).

Your bike is too nice to be replaced by any 1200. The incremental gain of such a move won't be worth all the money either functionally or esoterically.

Esoteric

I like that

Everyone is right - keep it

You won't regret it

One read of the 1200 forum section topic titles (WC or normal 1200) will convince you to stick with the 1150

If you want to spend some money, get someone like Mikeyboy to tart it up, get your casings blasted and painted etc.

You should see the build thread about mine.

Obviously you don't have to go that far.

Back
Top Bottom