K1100LT Water/Oil Pump

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After having done over 1000 miles of mainly motorway riding in the last couple of days I noticed a very small weep of oil from the water/oil pump drain hole at the front underneth the engine. There is no frothing in the oil and the coolant does not appear to have any film of oil in it . A new oil/water pump from BMW is £350 and I seem to remember from years back when I had a K100RT that the cheaper option of fitting new seals is not that successful due to the likelihood of the impeller shaft being worn as well . Motorworks offer a refurbished unit for £180 with a 12 month guarantee - has anyone had any experience of one of these and what is the consensus - go for brand new or opt for the refurbished unit ?

Buy a good used one from eBay, refurbish it yourself, (it's not difficult), then fit it.
I keep a spare refurbished one 'on the shelf' but haven't needed it so far.
Spares are so cheap for the Ks it's worth gathering a few items for the future, I've
got an alternator, starter relay, radiator, oil/water pump, brake master cylinders, etc.
German eBay is a good source.

Buy a good used one from eBay, refurbish it yourself, (it's not difficult), then fit it.
I keep a spare refurbished one 'on the shelf' but haven't needed it so far.
Spares are so cheap for the Ks it's worth gathering a few items for the future, I've
got an alternator, starter relay, radiator, oil/water pump, brake master cylinders, etc.
German eBay is a good source.

Hi - thanks for the feedback , I have already got a stash of spares as I have had a K100 previously and I also have a K75 sat here

The issue here is that by the time I buy a pump off eBay , pay for a seal kit (£30) and then potentially have to swap the impeller shaft (£130) I could have bought a pre built refurbished unit with a 12 month guarantee

The only way i get a fix "on the cheap" is if when i remove my old pump the shaft is in good condition and it is just the oil seal gone

I would still like to know therefore if anyone has any experience of a refurbished pump as I assume they must replace the shafts as well as the seals ? If they don't the only real option if my shaft is pitted is a new pump.......

I would just see how it develops first. My old K75 had a similar weep, which would seemingly stop and the re-appear some time later. It never became what you would describe as a leak, and the seal kit I had on the shelf was still there when I sold the bike with way over 100k on it.

I would just see how it develops first. My old K75 had a similar weep, which would seemingly stop and the re-appear some time later. It never became what you would describe as a leak, and the seal kit I had on the shelf was still there when I sold the bike with way over 100k on it.

Must admit I was thinking that as I know they are supposed to pass a little oil for lubrication and I had done a lot of high speed miles in a short period . I cleaned it all off yesterday and after a run out today there is no sign of oil leaking . I've bought the seal kit and if it does get worse I'll have a go changing the seals first - if it doesn't fix it another oil and coolant change will be the least of my worries if I'm having to pay out for a new pump !

pitted shaft

strip it and if the shaft is pitted get it repaired by an engineering company. they can metal spray it and turn it back to correct size. fir new seals and job done. look up metal spraying ect.

Decided to bite the bullet and remove the water/oil pump . Thankfully shaft was fine so fitted the repair kit with new seals and O rings and re-assembled . Been out today and after around 150 miles no leaks :)

Back
Top Bottom