Final Drive Advice Required.

commandoallan

Reaction score
All,

I would like some advice on the following please.

On the way home last week my rear end started a little wobble, became more pronounced during the ride 35 miles left approx, brake failure light came on 4 miles from home and handling deteriorated badly so slowed down a little. When I got home there was a fluid/ oil on the rear wheel/ tyre. I looked in the rear brake reservoir and this was empty, brake pads were very worn so I wrongly assumed a piston seal had gone which I have replaced.
Took the bike back out for 2 miles and the same shit happened, this time the rear res has remained full. I have read the site forums and found that there is play in the rear wheel when rocked and quite a bit of dirty oil now on the wheel/ tyre/ floor - I don't think this is gear oil as I changed this about 4 months ago.

I require the bike for work so need it fixed asap, my questions are:

a) What do you think is wrong exactly?
b) I take it that it will be costly to fix at a garage.
c) Is there anyway a novice home bolter onner/ take offer can fix this shyte?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers All,

Al.:confused:

Final drive knackered ,you need it removed and overhauled, contact Mikey boy on this site ,don't ride it anymore!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You just found the "consumable" that BMW dont tell you about.

The bearing and seals are known to need replacing, but it seems to vary when.

You will need to syringe out some of the brake fluid as its likely to be too full when you push the pistons back for new pads.

Use a heat gun on the Paralever (trunnion) bearing to >100C to loosen the thread lock.

Or a 1200 gearbox
Unstoppable :blast

Them splines look good !!!

attachment.php

Am I Seeing a tad of deformation of the teeth on the first helical gear on the shaft

Them splines look good !!!

attachment.php

Am I Seeing a tad of deformation of the teeth on the first helical gear on the shaft
The gears probably demeshed,it even snapped the end off the clutch pushrod
It's a wonder it didn't lock solid

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 447

Back
Top Bottom