Mixing front and rear tyres? Pirelli Road Angel and Road tech?

Cardinal

Reaction score
For puncture and supply related reasons I now have a Pirelli Road Angel rear tyre and a Metzeler Roadtech 01 front tyre - are there any potential issues?

After 100 miles the bike feels loads smoother on turn-in, holds a line beautifully and is far quieter than it was on Anakee 3s so I’m unsure as to why mixing is not recommended?

Mixing is not recommended because the manufacturer has no control of what you are fitting and will not have tested the combination in a controlled way. Tyers are made in different ways and tyre companies cannot be held responsible if the fitment you have chosen turnes out to be unsuitable in certain suitations. JJH

Your penis will fall off and you'll turn ginger and speak with a yorkshire accent.

If, you're happy with the way it handles......

Don't come crying here if it all goes tits up.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

So many variables involved in tyres, even those of same model - (varying wear between the front and the back)

Give it a go - it'll most likely be fine.

I have mixed and match quite a few times without any problem, last time was PR4 front and Roadtech rear.
Providing the tyrea are of a similar type and quality I would say yes.
A supercorsa rear/ TK80 front would not be a good combo.

For the road, I don't see why not. As the man said, as long as the type is similar you'll be fine.

I was in France a few years ago with my 1150gs which had Continental Road Attacks front and rear when for similar reasons to yourself I had to change the rear. The only tyre they had in the size was a Michelin Pilot Road. Needs must so it was fitted. No issues at all, the bike ran fine and I kept them on until they both wore out, and then replaced them as a pair with new Michelin PR's. I wouldn't worry over much if I was you.

I wouldn't worry about it. Same firm nowadays anyway.

The question was why is it not recommended. Not weather it it’s all right or not. I’ve done it myself. There is a question about insurance if your using unmatched tyers against manufacturers advice. JJH

Run out from new till done a mix of TKC 80 front and a heidenau K60 rear , worked ok on dirt and road :thumb2

Not usually recommended due to compound differences ,sidewall stiffness and differing profiles ,having harder compound front and softer rear probably not ideal. Saying all that I used to use Bridgestone Bt 010 front but 020 rear as got more mileage from the 020,you could feel the stiffer side wall but handled fine

Also after a bit of research ,both your tyres are classed as sports touring so liable to be very similar stiffness and compounds on top of that metzler and pirelli now merged so tyres could be effectively the same underneath with just differing tread patterns 🤔i wouldnt worry too much if they ride ok 😉

Thanks for comments

Demon Tweeks requested that I sign a disclaimer when they put the Road Angel on!!

Given the difference in wheel size and width front to rear there is already an imbalance in grip. I can’t imagine matching tyres makes any difference in safety versus mis matched.

If you have to change a tyre and they can sell you 2 then happy days for the dealer
Not that I'm cynical like🙄

It'll be fine. The tyre companies want you to stay with them so they say don't mix brands. Done it lots of times with no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom