Textile Clothing and Summer

Have you considered taking your jacket off when its hot?

Just an off-the-wall idea.

Ehhh... No....

road+rash+girl2.jpg

Have you considered taking your jacket off when its hot?

Just an off-the-wall idea.

Apart from the obvious dangers; as illustrated by Phaedrus's post; riding in just your T-shirt is a supremely bad idea. You might feel cooler but you dehydrate quicker and run the risk of getting sunburn. Even on a day that might not be that sunny.
Plus, have you been hit by a bug at 40+ mph? They really hurt.

I've settled for Rukka Navigatorr jacket and trousers and I'm aware that I my come to regret it on a hot day. I chose the Navigatorr as it's Rukka's most ventilated suit. Can't say I like it's bulk when off the bike, but I do want warm/dry/protected, so as always, it's a compromise.

Got some lovely Daytona boots too - very comfortable :thumb

Just need the bike to arrive now...

I've got the Revit Poseidon jacket with the cooling vest, which is much better than the Rukka kit I had before in hot weather. Excellent vents.
In the winter it's just a matter of layering up to suit the temperature.
Yes. I have the same suit and trousers.
They zip together nicely.
The huge vents have kept me comfortable in 30 to 35C in spain the last few years.
But you do lose thigh and chest pockets.

Both jacket and trousers have zip in warm liners for cool temperatures which I use in UK winter. So not perfect. But this setup gives me 4 season European riding.

This is pretty close to a genuine 4 season setup with goretex. With the correct layers ( like Helly Hansen and other ski inspired merino stuff).

There are two zip vents in each arm, and as my arms are in airflow, these provide effective cooling... Plus a wet layer waistcoat on extremely hot days.

Cheers!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I've settled for Rukka Navigatorr jacket and trousers and I'm aware that I my come to regret it on a hot day. I chose the Navigatorr as it's Rukka's most ventilated suit. apart from the rukka airrider which is basically holes held together with string, like a string vest but smaller holes and armour in all the important placesCan't say I like it's bulk when off the bike, but I do want warm/dry/protected, so as always, it's a compromise. And a set of waterproof over jacket and trousers for the odd light shower

Got some lovely Daytona boots too - very comfortable :thumb

Just need the bike to arrive now...

fixed it for you:D

Not sure what to make of some of the replies above. I have a Klim Latitude jacket which is laminated goretex, with just a mesh comfort liner that has no thermal properties. Worked great in December/January sub 5C with a soft shell jacket and base layer, in fact I recall having the vents open a few times in January which was bizarre. I expected it to be too hot in summer but did a few all day rides around the lakes in temps between 25-30C, low speeds with all vents open and jacket unzipped a little, and was absolutely fine. Didn't overheat (and I run warm most of the time). Right now I dont see the need for another jacket, although maybe 2-3 days of the hottest part of summer I'll use my RST mesh jacket but that's just preference.

Just get a decent suit for winter. Wear an air vest and in the summer you can unzip your jacket and the air vest stops it flapping about.

Apart from the obvious dangers; as illustrated by Phaedrus's post; riding in just your T-shirt is a supremely bad idea. You might feel cooler but you dehydrate quicker and run the risk of getting sunburn. Even on a day that might not be that sunny.
Plus, have you been hit by a bug at 40+ mph? They really hurt.
I ride in a T-shirt practically every day in the summer.

Maybe you need to toughen the fcuk up, accept that motorcycling has its dangers and stop trying to be invincible.
Phaedrus... yep ! That showed him !
Though I think Stolzy is too old to ride much these days ....
3 bikes, one of which gets ridden most days.:nenau (winter excepted obviously)

I readily accept that motorcycling can be dangerous, I know that I am not invincible.
That's why I wear a proper bike jacket with body armour in the right places. Which is why I survived a head-on collision with a car in April 2000.
You ride dressed how ever you like, that's your choice and I will defend your right to do so. Just accept that while I'm prepared to do that I also think that anyone who rides "in a T-shirt practically every day in the summer" is a complete idiot who seems to think they are invincible.

Stolzy, I really hope you don’t come off wearing a t-shirt chap. When I was 16 I lost the front on a shiny manhole doing about 20mph. That was about 35 years ago and I can remember to this day how messed up I was. Will the day come when reality might just bite? I doubt you’ll feel quite so tough just then. It would damage your trainers too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ride in a T-shirt practically every day in the summer.

Maybe you need to toughen the fcuk up, accept that motorcycling has its dangers and stop trying to be invincible.

Yeah, you tell 'em! Surgeons and undertakers prefer motorcyclists to wear one piece leather suits, cos then all the bits are in the same bag, but we all know that doesn't apply if you've properly toughened up.

I spent 10 days in France/Germany/Switz/Italy in July 2015......there was a heatwave in Europe with temps hovering around 40celcius a lot of the days. I had brought the wrong gear (cheap winter Spada gear without proper venting and couldn't breath for shite) I spent a fair few days wearing just a long sleeved wicking layer and the jacket bunjeed to the back of the bike......it was either that or heatstroke!! (rooky error and lesson learned)

You ride dressed how ever you like, that's your choice and I will defend your right to do so.

Is that whilst you also defend his right to say it? Or is it a completely separate defensive action you'll embark on? How many defensive actions do you conduct in an average year? Are they open displays or more along the lines of secret op's, undercover but hopefully effective. Or are they just thoughts to yourself, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom