Textile Clothing and Summer

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having been "out of it" for around 15 years I find I can't get my leathers on (what a surprise) so I'm looking a a quality textile jacket/trouser with laminated Gore Tex Pro, so Rukka or the like.
I don't want to go membrane - hence the more expensive laminate.

I'm concerned about summer temperatures and have read about 3 season gear, being Autumn, Winter and Spring, supporting the view that they will be uncomfortably hot in summer, even with vents.

Do specific undergarments layers like Outlast help?

Any real world thoughts please :thumb?

Allegedly yes, can't really say I notice it that much on my Rukka.

Have you considered Hideout, they do textiles that are CE approved and made to measure for around the same cost as top range Rukka/Klim.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Allegedly yes, can't really say I notice it that much on my Rukka.

Have you considered Hideout, they do textiles that are CE approved and made to measure for around the same cost as top range Rukka/Klim.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Not noticed being too hot?

I have tried various makes of textile kit and was either hot in the summer (Hein Gericke Master V jacket) or cold in the autumn (RST non laminate jacket). I now have a Rev-It! Dominator GTX jacket and trousers. Totally waterproof, windproof with all the vents closed, nice cooling breeze when the vents are open. You can be as breezy as you like as there are four vents on the front, two on each sleeve and two on the back of the jacket, plus one on each trouser leg.
Highly recommended.

How hot do you want it to get in summer and how cold?

Full mesh suits, like those from Rukka, are (whilst excellent) downright chilly at much under say 15C. Anything regularly, by which I mean above say 32 C day after day after day, is going to feel hot, not least as the air you are moving through is at 32 C and the road reflecting heat back, considerably hotter.

Perfect climate control clothing for motorcycling does not exist - no one solution is good for winter in the UK and summer in the South of France, so choose gear to suit the expected weather - mesh for 30C+, textiles with thermal liner for UK winter - simples.

Look at Stadler as it is laminate and well vented, Rukka laminate stuff ie the Armas jackets are brilliant in rain and even the depths of winter with the liner fitted but are an utter PIA when the temperature goes above 25 degrees on the continent , try doing 6 hours through Germany when the temperature is 38 degrees in poorly vented laminate goretex kit

Perfect climate control clothing for motorcycling does not exist - no one solution is good for winter in the UK and summer in the South of France, so choose gear to suit the expected weather - mesh for 30C+, textiles with thermal liner for UK winter - simples.

This. :thumb2

Much as it might bother folk (it does me), the best (i.e. most versatile) cover-all-bases solution is multiple outfits. You just need to be clever in allowing for the conditions you've not dressed for...

I have a Klim Badlands Pro suit. Its the best year round compromise I can imagine although I suspect the Rev'it suit already mentioned may have better venting. We were in France/Spain/Portugal during August and September with temperatures regularly at 32c peaking at 36 for a couple of days in France. With all the vents open and moving at 30kph plus there is enough breeze to keep you comfortable, even behind he GSA screen. Off the bike of course the suit is warm - you would be in flip-flops, shorts and T shirt otherwise - but not hugely uncomfortable or sweaty as the vents are still open and let out all the steam. I wear a thin lightweight merino short or long sleeve T shirt and Knox Jesse shorts underneath. The knox shorts are particular good and you should always wear something more than just your undies under a Goretex suit. It is very very uncomfortable on a hot day otherwise.

I have a Klim Badlands Pro suit. Its the best year round compromise I can imagine although I suspect the Rev'it suit already mentioned may have better venting. We were in France/Spain/Portugal during August and September with temperatures regularly at 32c peaking at 36 for a couple of days in France. With all the vents open and moving at 30kph plus there is enough breeze to keep you comfortable, even behind he GSA screen. Off the bike of course the suit is warm - you would be in flip-flops, shorts and T shirt otherwise - but not hugely uncomfortable or sweaty as the vents are still open and let out all the steam. I wear a thin lightweight merino short or long sleeve T shirt and Knox Jesse shorts underneath. The knox shorts are particular good and you should always wear something more than just your undies under a Goretex suit. It is very very uncomfortable on a hot day otherwise.

Agreed. But I find full leggings or tights are a bit much, and can contribute to discomfort. I use snug fitting boxers with 9" thighs. I have both cotton and synthetic pairs, and I'm happy with either on hotter days.

Agreed. But I find full leggings or tights are a bit much, and can contribute to discomfort. I use snug fitting boxers with 9" thighs. I have both cotton and synthetic pairs, and I'm happy with either on hotter days.

Always long sleeve t-shirt and leggings for me under my Klim Badlands, with the vents open comfortable at 36c in Spain this summer (better than full mesh I wore a few years ago, when hydration was a problem due to very rapid sweat evaporation). With the vents closed good down to 15c without any additional layers. Lower than 15c need to start adding layers &/or heated gear under the jacket and merino wool leggings. ( merino wool works in both hot and cold weather ).

I bought a waterproof Halvarssons jacket with a liner & was advised that this would suit my year round biking, 'no doubt about it sir'.
In reality it has proved to be an ideal Spring/Autumn jacket & hopeless in the summer (too hot) & winter (too cold).
I have bought a cheap Alpinestars mesh jacket for summer riding & wear my BMW waterproof jacket over the Halvarsoons and a thick sweatshirt under it in the winter, which is a right clat & isn't particularly comfortable but is toasty warm.
I also bought some Rukka winter gloves but they're gathering dust in a wardrobe as they're too thick, I use summer gloves & rely on the heated grips to do the needful in the winter.

Badlands is shell-only, no? That'd make sense for a top + leggings combo underneath. My own gear has a light lining (as well as removable thermal and removable waterproof liners), so less crucial for me to use full-length base layers.

Like Timaloy, I also got a mesh jacket for summer. Happy enough with my set-up.

What you need is a laminated Gore-tex (or similar, depending on your needs/budget) jacket and trousers with plenty of properly waterproof zipped vents. Then, underneath, you need a good string vest. It will keep you cool in summer and warm in winter, how it knows which is which is one of the mysteries of modern science and why you should only buy a good one from Marks and Spencer and not one off a market stall. You can always add a nice cardigan to the ensemble when it turns a bit parky at t'back end.

In all seriousness, the first bit works great if you seasonally adjust what layers you have underneath. Big heavy winter-specific kit, particularly the stuff with a drop liner and an outer shell which wets out, has had its day for me. Mind you, I do live in Devon so winter mostly means cooler rain! :D

Yes Badlands is shell only, but not unlined, just no thermal properties to the liner just keeps the Gore-tex fabric off bare skin. I've found it to be a great piece of kit, much greater temp. coverage than any other bike kit I've had. I like to use base layers as they keep you dry (sweat) can be easily washed every night when touring.

I've got the Revit Poseidon jacket with the cooling vest, which is much better than the Rukka kit I had before in hot weather. Excellent vents.
In the winter it's just a matter of layering up to suit the temperature.

Have you considered taking your jacket off when its hot?

Just an off-the-wall idea.

In the quest for the perfect kit I have consoled myself that it does not exist. I need 2 or 3 suits/combinations to cover the weather that I encounter when out and about during the year. I made the decision to buy the BMW Summer trousers and Boulder jacket. This is then backed up by a waterproof over. It has so far performed as expected in very hot weather, just adjust the cuffs and loosen the collar and in cooler weather with some scattered rain where I just zip it all up and don the waterproof jacket and maybe the pants if it looks like a serious rain storm.

The other problem you have when it is warm to hot is the instant roast dinner feeling when you stop, get off and have to walk around to find a watering hole or restaurant etc. This is where the Summer trousers win hands down. Zip off the bottoms, shoes and socks of and slip on your flip flops :cool::thumb

The merino is only used when it is cold, I dress in quick wicking sport shirts that I wear when cycling or playing squash etc. I have an EDZ wind proof layer that doubles up the merino on cold days and this is the dogs dangles if it stays cold all day.

I have Goretex with vents, mesh suit, leather suit, denims and this combo. I wear this more than any other piece of motorcycle clothing. Contrary to popular belief there is more dry days in the UK than wet ones. This statement might be true for where I live, east of England which is a bit drier that most of the UK. Just my take on it but seriously consider to mix and match kit to what you need and where you ride most of the time. Goretex is fantastic but has drawbacks like a wet suit all the way to your hotel room whereas a waterproof over gets taken off in the garage and with a shake most of the water is gone. It means having to take one with you and stopping in time to put it on which can be a hindrance to some.

Choose wisely.

Back
Top Bottom