ABS problems

Lou

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for some help in finding a company the services ABS modules in the UK. Can anybody advise please? I have found second hand units in Motorworks but would rather have peace of mind with a serviced unit.

you might get a better response if you give people more to go on. Exact model and year of the bike would be a start!

Lots of willing helpers on here if you give them the info.

John

you might get a better response if you give people more to go on. Exact model and year of the bike would be a start!

Lots of willing helpers on here if you give them the info.

John

Not entirely sure being in "Ride Reports" will be a vast amount of help either! :D

Perhaps an administrator can move this?

The bike the ABS module is for is 1150GS Adventure. 2002 with integral ABS. The fault codes tell me: 17419 Rear ABS motor defective. The front brake motor can still be heard but there in no motor heard with the foot brake. The hand lever now only operates the brake on the front wheel.
The warning lights on the dash give me a constant red warning light at the bottom and the ABS warning light flashes at 1Hz.
I don't want to do away with the ABS which is a cheaper option, I was hoping to find someone that can service my unit rather than chance a second hand unit.

I was hoping to find someone that can service my unit rather than chance a second hand unit.

Keep on hoping Its a disaster of a system I have 27 k miles on my 04 R1200GS and have carried out complete brake fluid changes every year just to try and keep it good

No one realised the issues even Dealers did not push the fluid changes and annual services

I think FlipFly had a good used unit you could "buy" but its big money as far as I have heard to recondition these and there is not much warranty past 5 months I sent 2 units to a guy in Shetland as he was trying to recondition his (Hunda67 I think)

It worked for a short time

If you want ABS, my advice is to, bite the bullet! Buy a New one! and do complete brake fluid changes every year!

I'm going to stick my neck out here........

There was an article written by someone showing the strip down and cleaning of the IABS servo brake module. Unfortunately I can't find it, someone may have the link.

Sometimes just a strip and clean may help resolve your problem.

The first generation of the R1200GS had a similar system fitted. I have it on good authority that a failed motor in one of these servo units was nothing more than a stuck brush, which once reseated cured the problem.

Personally, I would feel quite confident in stripping my servo pump down and cleaning, visual checking and rebuilding, as a first attempt before completely removing the system.

The question is how confident are you in the task.

Ian

Ian[/There was an article written by someone showing the strip down and cleaning of the IABS servo brake module. Unfortunately I can't find it, someone may have the link]

I believe I have found the article your referring to http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448030
I will read this to get some idea of the work involved, even if I get a second hand unit and service my old unit. It’s all food for thought.
Thank you all for you input.

I'm not convinced that annual fluid changes prevent failure. My bike was cosseted from new and my servo failed at about 30k km. I stripped the servo and the inside was mint - literally like new. The problem appears to be an electrical failure of the pressure sensor for the rear circuit.

Having seen how fickle the system is, I'm happier to have it out of the bike. I was lucky that it was the rear circuit that failed at low speed. A front failure at high speed could have been fatal.

Just for info, That's for the later 2006 on systems

Which are repairable and is usually just sticking brushes on the motor

It would probably be worth having a chat with Steve Grover, before getting your credit card out for a new module.

See if he can get you sorted; try him at ......... http://www.motoscot.co.uk/default.htm

Hi all, I have had the servo apart and found the rear circuit motor at fault which I have replaced only to find that the electric circuit has been damaged by the motor, so I am in the market for the end unit of the servo with the electrics if anybody has one going.

Just for info, the fault with the servo is that the rear circuit motor occasionally runs on after the brake pedal is released. You have to turn off the ignition to stop it running, when you turn it back on it has cleared. This happens with the handbrake and the foot brake. No faults codes are logged. I can only think that it’s a fault with the circuit board unless anyone knows different.

Possibly the plunger is sticking or your brake micro switch is badly adjusted or the pressure switch for the rear circuit is broken as in Hunda67's posts

Okay I have now replaced the pressure switches at both ends, the fault was still there. I then replaced the solenoid in the rear circuit. The fault was still there. The micro switch referred to I believe is the one on the foot brake, I checked the fault by operating the foot brake until the fault occurred and watching the brake light, it went out as the pedal was released but the motor ran on. Also the fault occurs with the hand brake operation occasionally. I think I am running out of options now apart from the replacement of the electrical circuit.

Steptoe has a thread here showing stripping and cleaning the units

It sounds like the plunger inside the unit that is operated by the footbrake might be sticking?

Okay I have now replaced the pressure switches at both ends, the fault was still there. I then replaced the solenoid in the rear circuit. The fault was still there. The micro switch referred to I believe is the one on the foot brake, I checked the fault by operating the foot brake until the fault occurred and watching the brake light, it went out as the pedal was released but the motor ran on. Also the fault occurs with the hand brake operation occasionally. I think I am running out of options now apart from the replacement of the electrical circuit.

Back
Top Bottom