The GS has gone

Greenman14

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Traded my GS in last week, I’m now the happy owner of an ex-demo Tracer 900. It’s not perfect, but then neither was the GS, but for me it’s a better compromise. The GS was just too heavy for my aging muscles and lugging its bulk out of the garage was putting me off using it for short trips and taking advantage of the few sunny intervals we get in any season.

Even at running in Revs it’s quite brisk, and fuel economy is circa 60mpg giving a useful tank range of around 180 miles. Not wonderful but more than my mates’ bikes so I won’t be the first to need a fuel stop :thumb

Congrats on your purchase.
After 14 yrs on Gs and ks did the same thing a year ago.
For me its worked a treat.
Im sure you will enjoy it.

My mate has one, and loves it. It’s plenty quick enough for him. Enjoy.:thumb

Attachments

• 2A02597E-3252-4323-B80A-7F17C9AC07BB.jpg
    2A02597E-3252-4323-B80A-7F17C9AC07BB.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 747
I went from an F800GS to the MT09 Tracer. Now I've sorted the suspension, I absolutely love it. I've been round Europe on it twice now, great bike.

I was thinking along those lines, then I got a £3k discount on a brand new KTM 1190, which made it barely any more than a Tracer by the time the suspension is sorted and I love the thing, but would agree a nicely suspended Tracer would make a fantastic bike for solo use....

...but the KTM suspension is by far the best OE suspension I have ever sampled, the engine the most intoxicating and the electronics are also top notch, build quality is also very good, clocked up more miles on this thing in a year than any other big bike I have owned.

My mate has one, and loves it. It’s plenty quick enough for him. Enjoy.:thumb

Ooh Snap Nutty do we share the same buddy?

We were just leaving Copenhagen bound for St Malo via the Black Forest. The Tracey (as I like to call it) is a very capable bike!

My only question Greenman would be that your running in an ex demonstrator. Don't you think the previous riders might have already done that :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 546
Although nominally an ex-demo bike it had only done 150 miles. Hammonds in Cirencester (great to deal with) have one of their own guys ride the first 150 miles just to be kind to the engine so I have no worries. Unlike an ex-demo bile I looed at with 2,500 miles. My GS was an ex-demo with about 1,000 miles and it never had any problems at all.

Fair enough. To be honest I was being a tad facetious. I honestly don't think your average demonstrator rider could not do the engine too much harm even if they tried. That is what rev limiters are for.

My Last GS, a 2010 TC, started life as a demo and was faultless (apart from burning oil, tres common) until I sold it after 7 years.

There is a train of thought that being too gentle on a new engine puts more wear on them than giving it a little too much. It's all to do with wearing the roughness on the rings off quicker and getting a proper heat treatment on the internals.

There is a train of thought that being too gentle on a new engine puts more wear on them than giving it a little too much. It's all to do with wearing the roughness on the rings off quicker and getting a proper heat treatment on the internals.

I agree.:thumb

I always spank the bike from day one, making sure I take it to the redline several times, before the first service. Never had any issues with any of my bikes.

Slogging at low revs is always tough on an engine. Keep away from very high revs for a few hundred miles. But treating it gently will end up with a tight engine that never gives its best.

I recall seeing the running in regime when it’s done on a dyno and it was quick and involved plenty of revs.

Aren't they all run flat out on a dyno at the factory?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Don’t know about Yamaha or BMW but Ducatis are all test run on a dyno. Factory visit at Bologna :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom